Author Topic: Just a quick texture question...  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Just a quick texture question...
What program did you use to create the textures?
Because someone has filled my maps folder with these .dds files and I want to know why! :hopping:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Photoshop + NVIDIA DDS Plugin or Microsoft DXTex Tool or another tool which name I forgot. Depends on who converted or made that particular texture I guess. ;)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Hmh... Yes, ofcourse...

Well I was going to do nameplates for those Omegas I have flying around the MitM2. See there was a little incident with the old textures that involved formatting the hard drive and not remembering to evacuate the particular files...
:doubt:

Anyway. R3.1 still had JPEG and PCX textures so they should work in R3.2. Am I not correct? I am. Am I?
Me and my trusty old Paint Shop Pro 4 :yes:

If anyone tells me to by new software, I'll curse his balls.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You should convert your textures to dds, use the free Microsoft dds conversion tool or the other which name I forgot. DaBrain knows the name.
(My personal favorite is still Photoshop and NVIDIA DDS plugin)

Memory usage:
TGA, Jpg* 100%
PCX** 50%
DXT5 25%
DXT1, S3TC 12,5%

*Both have the same size when loaded.
**Is used as 16-bit format when loaded

Also, DDS does not require any extra processing from CPU, unlike tga, jpg and pcx

Now you know the secret why later versions of the Base runs much smoother than the original 3.0, even though so far effects have improved more or less in each release after 3.0.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Now you know the secret why later versions of the Base runs much smoother than the original 3.0,
They do? :wtf:
even though so far effects have improved more or less in each release after 3.0.

They have? :eek2:

Anyway. Thanks fer letting me know. About the deep dark secrets of DDS I mean.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Ever get the feeling nobody notices the changes we've made? :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
You should convert your textures to dds, use the free Microsoft dds conversion tool or the other which name I forgot. DaBrain knows the name.

I recommend the "DDS Converter 2.0" if you do not have Photoshop. Just search for this in google. You'll find multiple dl sources.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
By the way, when a decent converter is used, DXT1 and DXT5 should be of exactly same quality. The difference is that when your texture has an alpha channel, use DXT5. Otherwise use DXT1.

And whoops, your Omega nameplate now uses 87.5% less memory. :D

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Prophet
They do? :wtf:

Yes. Especially on mid-range systems like mine. My graphics card has only 64MB, which made RW unplayable in R3.0 with all the JPG maps. DDS maps/effects sped up the game significantly for me.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline -Norbert-

Since your now using this dds should I leave the "Enable jpg,tga textures" ticked in in the Launcher?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes you should, not all texture resolutions are in power of ^2, which means some textures still have pcx and jpg files there.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all

And behold Omega nameplate now uses 87.5% less memory! :D
In MitM you will be stationed on the Anchorage...

Offline -Norbert-

I got a crazy idea.
It would be funny if you would make the spotlight illuminating the nameplate a destroyable subsystem :lol:

On second thought, forget it.