Author Topic: force beam free flag  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
force beam free flag
can we get a flag for eighter a beam cannon or a ship (preferibly both) to force beam turrets to be unlocked by default. this is good because i just made one of those masive overkill bombers with beam cannons, and i have to go through the trouble of unlocking the beams in fred (which breaks the ability to select ships). also this would be good for weak anti beams. im sure you all can find a dozen or so reasons to have this.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you mean a weapon flag?
I don't think we can add any more flags as there are 32 of them now, and I tryed adding one a while back and it didn't take hold
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Grey Wolf

I think he means a tag in FRED, just like the Kamikaze or Invisible to Sensors tag.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
like inital status, that would be good, havn't looked into it though
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kitsune

Umm, why not just have it default to having them unlocked from teh get-go instead of having to change things to turn them on?
If a ships powered, it would naturally try to use their beams in a fight.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Solatar

The beam-Free needs to go. I even played fs2 for months, only because there were no beams.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i mean as a table tag. unless i say otherwise its always a table flag that i am talking about.

i just started lerning how to use fred. after tweaking many a mission to test mods, i have picked up some of the skills required to use fred. and i made a working test mission, so im picking it up.

back to topic.
i just put together a massive bomber with beam cannons, and i would like it to be able to use its beams without a beam free all. if you use the ship you have to free the beams for every member of alpha wing, whch kinda clutters up the events list.

also id like a beam type that works like a type 0, but will turn relative to the ship. the only beam that does is the type 4, but those dont home unless they are on a rotating turret (forward turrets cant rotate). or fire control for a type 4 on a turret would also be good, so the beam fires when you want it to.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Originally posted by Hades
The beam-Free needs to go. I even played fs2 for months, only because there were no beams.

We need the beam-free, to unlock a locked beam, if it is locked in a game. But we need to reverse the default as being locked.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
I think he means a tag in FRED, just like the Kamikaze or Invisible to Sensors tag.

Right! Just a little checkbox in the Initial Status screen. That way we can still have it off by default but make it a heluva lot easier to beam-free, without sexps. Just make sure it's set to has-arrived-delay-0, not true.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by Pegasus V

We need the beam-free, to unlock a locked beam, if it is locked in a game. But we need to reverse the default as being locked.

So sorry, I meant to type in fs1. Not fs2. I realized my mistake, but you had already posted, so I couldn't edit.

I agree. Though it shouldn't be that hard to have the beams enabled by default.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
So...should beams be enabled by default, or should they be disabled by default? IMO, they should stay disabled by default, so as to not break backwards compatibility (and it's likely you'll need to open the dialog anyway...)
I'll look into adding "Beam-free-all" to the ship info dialog box this weekend :nod:
-C

IMO enabled.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Beams should be disabled by default. This is for compatibility for missions where beams are enabled only in specific times. The very first FS2 main campaign mission is a good example.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Beams should be disabled by default. This is for compatibility for missions where beams are enabled only in specific times. The very first FS2 main campaign mission is a good example.

Yeah, it'd just be good to be able to beam-free a ship using the "misc" tab as well as through sexp.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Solatar

I have a little rebuttle on that subject. Most missions with capital ships have the beams on and working. very few have them off. If you want something like the first fs2 mission, disable the beams, then fire them with a sexp. That way only a few people have to suffer, not the whole community:D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my idea is not to change the whole system of how beams are triggered in fred, it is simply to allow for small beam cannons (such as aaa) to be ommited from the hassle of beam freeing. this is a fighterbeam thing!

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no it isn't, fighter beams are free by default, in fact there realy isn't any way to lock them the way they are set up,
if you could make it an inital status thing it wouldn't require breaking backwards compatabiliy, but it would make it very easy to unlock the beams for any ship you want
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Maybe....if you write up a small sub-program or something that allows you to pick all the names of the ships you want to beam free, and then it updates the events list with the appropriate details.... and some logic like (horrbily rough pseudo)

if 'not_in_mission_at_start" //check arrival cue I guess
       sexp_trigger = when_arrived
else
       sexp_trigger = when_time_elapsed

In fact, this could probably be a seperate program altogether that parses the *.fs2 file.... I dunno.  the question is that whether a checkbox would be quicker, as you'd have to still go through every ship and activate it in the 'misc' section.... I'm not sure that's faster than cutting and pasting the appropriate events.

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
thats a good idea.

Maybe you could have a flag in the table file to specify whether or not the beams are free by default

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Think a little, there's a ****load of missions and campaigns built for original FS2. If you go and enable beams as default, you can be pretty darn sure that something goes awfully wrong in those missions.

fs2_open should, no... MUST be backwards compatible. Otherwise it will cause a lot of headaches and then you can't enjoy new stuff in good, old campaigns and missions.

You can have beam-free tickbox in Misc section of ships settings. That should be enough for upcoming missions and campaigns that uses fs2_open.