Author Topic: ArmA III  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
BI is developing a new installment of ArmA series. It seems to be one heck of a combat sim.
http://www.arma3.com/
This beauty, of course, will come at a price. Currently, official system requirements (hopefully, not minimal) released by BI are:

OS – Windows 7 / Vista
CPU – Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM – 2 GB
HDD – 15 GB free space
DVD – Dual Layer compatible
DirectX – 10

In short, a latest generation high-end gaming computer.
It's scheluded for release in summer 2012. I'm looking forward to this, hopefully minimal requirements will be low enough for my new computer to at least run it without crashes (it's also the reason I'm moving to Vista now).

Offline -Sara-

Bodies still drop dead in a funny way.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
In short, a latest generation high-end gaming computer.

No joke, especially if that teaser vid is in any way indicative of gameplay....
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Bodies still drop dead in a funny way.

Not anymore. They've added PhysX-accelerated physics, applying it to vehicles and bodies alike - Check out 2:35 here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhb44o4Dd48

I'm really just hoping they spend as much time as possible optimizing this game. The two previous installments; ArmA 2 and the Operation Arrowhead expansion ran pretty bad on my PC, and I have an I5 760 with a GTX480, and the mandatory 8 gigs of ram.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
From what I've read in the past, ArmA has always been a bit lacking in the optimization arena. I can't say all too well from experience in this regard as my computer couldn't hope to competently run the software. On the bright side, the developer and the community seem to run hand-in-hand, which I fully approve of.

With the new helo sim that Bohemia is developing, I'm also going to hope that a new ArmA will have some good flight dynamics as well. From trying the ArmA 2 demo, it was pretty easy to tell that the flight model, while providing some challenge, was not all too realistic, though to its credit was relatively enjoyable and gave a great sense of motion. It could feel like flying even while not being realistic when doing so... it's hard to describe.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've recently read something strange about Take on Helicopters, namely that it will be "compatible with ArmA II: Reinforcements". I don't know what exactly does it means, but there's a chance that buying it will allow using it's flight model in AII (hopefully not only for helis, but also for fixed wing aircraft). If so, something like that should also be available for AIII. Also, it has been confirmed that vechicle handling in general will be imprived in AIII, which most likely also means aircraft.

Offline Luis Dias

(it's also the reason I'm moving to Vista now).

:eek2:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that myself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Skip Vista and Go 7?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed, that decision wasn't an easy one, but I decided that it'll make my computer more "futureproof" than 10 years old XP. Anticipation of ArmA III also played a large part in that. Also, I heard Vista can be upgraded to Win 7 without reinstalling everything, so I'm considering this possiblity if it will appear. Since I'm not using EAX, have a lot of memory to spare (2GB at the start, I'll extend this if it'll not be enough) and don't really use my computer for anything besides work (which ussualy involves only MS Office and a web browser) or gaming, Vista doesn't have that many drawbacks for me. I currently can't afford going directly to Win 7 and my new card won't support DX11 anyway, only DX10 (this Vista copy was originally intended for my mother, but she is VERY sensitive about UI changes and Vista interface was too radical for her).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I want to make note that although ArmA needs a mightier processor than I have (1.6 GHz), Vista and Win7 much on RAM for no really good apparent reason. 2GB is about the bare minimum, if that's what you're saying.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke