Author Topic: Need Some help Converting Model  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Need Some help Converting Model
It's my Galaxy-class starship. It won't convert. COB2POF freezes up and POFCS get's a GenerateBSP error. According to Shrike it's withing FS2's limits (7757 polys) and less than 800 polys per subobject. I already sized it for FS2 by comparing it to other models, I just need it converted. Here's the file: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/gtdwolf/ncc1701.zip
It's in TS SCN format, and it includes all the textures. When it's done e-mail it to me @ [email protected] or post a link to it in this thread.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
According to Shrike it's withing FS2's limits (7757 polys) and less than 800 polys per subobject.

Excuse me?! 7757 polys? What?! Is there something I missed? I've made a ship with 1800 polys and I ran into the popular shards 'o' death problem! I wouldn't go over 1400 polys if I were you.

------------------
Creator of the Table Edit project.
IRC: /server twisted.ma.us.DAL.net /join #Deneb
Visit The Deneb System.
Balance?! Don't you talk to me about balance when you've seen all the Sathanases the Shivans have!! - Joey_21
Checkout the System Madness II campaign

its all about the hierarcy...let cptwhite take a look  

i'll give you a link to the corrected version - 7700 is way too much though reduce to it 1500 MAX otherwise its useless for the game.

edit:
ok you should do some research on hierarcy...check the babylon project forum search for "hierarcy".......

its also way to high poly anyway...it wants to be 1500 MAX... but as close to 1000 as possible. im not a modeller so i cant help with this.

im sure reducing poly count and sorting the hierarcy will solve the problems with Pof constructor suite.  dont use cob2fs2 cos it creates bad collision detection and has max poly limit of 3000 or 2000 depending on what version your using anyway.

------------------

[This message has been edited by CptWhite (edited 08-07-2001).]
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

If POF CS gives out GenerateBSP error, it doesn't involve hierarchy...rather the geometry. One (or more) of the polygon(s) of the objects of the model results in infinite bsp split. It's a long story, you can't fix it without geometry changes....and it's HARD to trace the problem polygons.

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Eternal One:
If POF CS gives out GenerateBSP error, it doesn't involve hierarchy...rather the geometry. One (or more) of the polygon(s) of the objects of the model results in infinite bsp split. It's a long story, you can't fix it without geometry changes....and it's HARD to trace the problem polygons.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline untouchable

• Fear the DA...
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/da
I believe it is from intersecting pollys. The same thing happend with one of my models. Somehow when I extruded the vertecies, the pollys got pulled together. I had a hell of a time fixing it. If you eliminate the intersecting pollys it shuold work but ouch, 7700 pollys.
"The Darkness shall  befall us all."
-Commander William Wright

"Violence is merely the means of the incompotent"
-Felix Steighner
----------------------
The Darkness is Coming

Untouchable has spoken :D

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I've got models which previously compiled using PCS which no longer compile, complaining of the same problem.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
the more complete the BSP split became the easier it was to toss it into an infinite split

It happens when enough polys are CENTERED on the same point that the avoidance algorithm cannot correct them
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
oh and oh yeah POLY REDUCE THAT MODEL!

Offline Grey Wolf

I ripped off the ~2000 poly each nacelles from the model I started with and replaced them with two that total in at 158  . Oh yeah, it converts now, even though it still has ~3000 polys.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Get it below 2000, i bet a lot of that is the saucer - there is no reason to have more than about 256 polys in that saucer [not including the bridge, and anything that doesn't fit the general spheroid]

Offline Grey Wolf

The saucer has around 400 now, but most of the polys are in the neck and body.

[This message has been edited by Grey Wolf 2009 (edited 08-07-2001).]