Author Topic: Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
As shown on E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDrXP3qM2Q

I'm surprised there's no topic about this yet.

I love the new high-res background art, the music and voice acting. But the character animation is somewhat jerky and Guybrush looks really weird (granted, that's what everybody said about CoMI as well, and we got used to that anyway)

and on a related note: http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Re: Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
I loved the third one!!!!!!!!!!
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

I have yet to play the third or fourth , but I loved the first and second.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I read about this a while ago. The remake looks good, but I'm much more interested in the Tales sequel.

I like the second game the best. The fourth is equally good though except for the last part. The third one sometimes felt too serious by the standards of the series.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I think that there's a special circle of Hell reserved for them.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I think that there's a special circle of Hell reserved for them.

The fun circle?  :p
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
No, the one where they don't get any lube.

Offline Demitri

No, the one where they don't get any lube.

Ah, the Ring of Fire then? :P
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
They need to sell a million copies of this so they get around to doing Loom and Grim Fandango.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cyker

What??!! The third was the best by far!! It had MURRAY THE DEMONIC SKULL FFS!!!

The 4th was awful; They had a great base in Grim Fandango and they still somehow managed to screw it up. Guybrush would go into spasms and his neck looked like it was broken half the time. The humor just wasn't there for me, and then there was that stupid monkey combat thing... ugh!

But 3... It had a quartet of singing pirates singing a pirate song! And did I mention Murray?!? And the facial expressions were just gold; Who would have thought a few added pixels could make so much difference!

If it's the same guy voicing Guybrush, there's no stupid DRM and if it works in Win2k) then I might even buy this!
The Tell Tale one I don't have high hopes for after how they butchered Sam and Max...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If it's the same guy voicing Guybrush, there's no stupid DRM and if it works in Win2k) then I might even buy this!
The Tell Tale one I don't have high hopes for after how they butchered Sam and Max...
..."butchered"?  The Telltale Sam & Max games have some of the best writing and humor I've ever seen pulled off in a game, and that opinion seems to be shared by a whole lot of critically-minded people.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What??!! The third was the best by far!! It had MURRAY THE DEMONIC SKULL FFS!!!

The 4th was awful; They had a great base in Grim Fandango and they still somehow managed to screw it up. Guybrush would go into spasms and his neck looked like it was broken half the time. The humor just wasn't there for me, and then there was that stupid monkey combat thing... ugh!

But 3... It had a quartet of singing pirates singing a pirate song! And did I mention Murray?!? And the facial expressions were just gold; Who would have thought a few added pixels could make so much difference!

There were certainly many great things about MI3, but I still got the impression that they were actually trying to tell a semi-serious story with it, with plenty of humor thrown in. For any other series it would be great, but by MI standards it was a little less than I was expecting. The game was still very good, just not as good as the others.

The monkey kombat in MI4 was terrible, which is why I said "except for the last part." The rest of the game was still excellent. I thought it was funnier than MI3 overall, and in line with MI2. The interface was lousy, although it was still an improvement over that of Grim Fandango.

Guybrush does have the same voice actor from what I'm hearing. The first episode is out, although I am going to wait until the whole thing is released before getting it.