Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 598225 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)

There is no ****ing way they have made any progress on Squadron 42 if this is the palette the designers have to work with.

So if all we wanted from SQ42 was a basic space sim (like Wing Commander, FS/FS2, X-Wing, etc., heck even Starlancer) we'll probably be disappointed?

Christ yes, I don't think you could lay out a mission with this flight model without it immediately collapsing, like souffle in a high-G turn, into a giant cluster**** furball.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:43:58 pm by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
LOL at the dramatic soundtrack getting muffled/muted when you get a redout. Does that mean your spaceman is actually playing the soundtrack from his boombox in the cockpit?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

LOL at the dramatic soundtrack getting muffled/muted when you get a redout. Does that mean your spaceman is actually playing the soundtrack from his boombox in the cockpit?

Plenty of warfilms and games that do that. It emphasizes the *aargh my ears are ringing* thing.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
LOL at dramatic soundtrack, 3 chords strung together on a 30 sec autoloop, I'd want it muffled/muted as much as possible.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Did they actually render a part of the helmet at the bottom of the screen?  :wtf:
Way to waste even more screen space for IMMERSION (tm)

Nah see you'll be able to buy an option to take the helmet off inside a ship.

But then if your canopy cracks you have to take out some duct tape to fix it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

How many different duct tape models do we have ingame, that's the relevant question though. And what color is it? I mean, don't get me wrong, but it's the far future, clearly we've gone beyond base black, brown or transparent, right? Perhaps they should do a poll regarding what possible colors are the duct tapes of the 30th century.

And either they write a 10 000 word codex on the history of duct tape development throughout the human empire history or the game is total horse****. Immersion my ass.

The next twenty million dollars of crowdfunding will be spent on developing an algorithm to properly simulate the behavior of the duct tape's adhesive, because overlaying a texture onto the canopy model would be too cheap and simplistic for Star Citizen.

(Yeah, I'm never going to get over the head bob nonsense.)

Offline Luis Dias

Air bubbles that get stuck behind duct tapes simulator. A must have in every great game. It's [current year] for ****s sake.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I just saw a youtube video in my feed which references a $/£750 ship. I thought,  that can't be right.....

Who in their right mind would spend the cost of a high end off the shelf gaming pc or one each of a ps4 and xboxone plus extras on something like this when elite dangerous is 40 quid with the horizons pass.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Hadn't there been a ship they sold for 1000$ or even more? And it sold nonetheless... You gotta please the whales.

The most expensive single ship was the $2500 Javelin destroyer; the most expensive item on their shop is the $18,000 Completionist Package. The latter, despite the name, does not include the former in the package; it only unlocks the option to buy it separately.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

I just saw a youtube video in my feed which references a $/£750 ship. I thought,  that can't be right.....

Who in their right mind would spend the cost of a high end off the shelf gaming pc or one each of a ps4 and xboxone plus extras on something like this when elite dangerous is 40 quid with the horizons pass.
It amazes me. If it was someone who that money was nothing to it wouldn't surprise me, but regular people spend 4 and even 5 figures on this game which isn't even complete and is not certain to be complete. This and the US election have taught me things about people that I didn't think were possible, at least not in such numbers.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Such amazing, next-generation, limit-pushing/breaking gameplay. Such awe, much wow.

Also, what exactly is RATS?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Also, what exactly is RATS?

The AI for the rodents on the space stations can pause time and select exactly what part of the cheese they want to nibble, as long as it isn't the bottom-center.

Offline Mikes

Hadn't there been a ship they sold for 1000$ or even more? And it sold nonetheless... You gotta please the whales.

From the start it has been toutet as "donating for the game to be made, the ships are only "extras/gifts" that you get when you donate" and for some reason, for some people, that flips the proverbial switch.

If they'd gone ahead and told everyone: "Hey guys, we're making a game and we have microtransactions where we sells ships for 1000 dollars before launch ... they would probably have gotten a laugh or even torches and pitchforks right away ... but somehow the line "YOU are helping US to make a game with your money that would not otherwise be made" got people aboard ... and then it got all twisted and even tho everyone knows they are now buying spaceships for 300 or even thousand dollars, i.e. the epitome of "evil microtransactions" in the gaming world, it is now suddenly "ok" and if anyone says otherwise someone quotes the token "hey ,it's not really buying, it's donating for the game, man!" line and the forum majority agrees with it.

The fact that, if anything, people gave Chris Roberts way too much money already and the game would most likely be in a better state if he had had to work with a tighter budget and (assuming best intentions in this case) would have been forced to concentrate on the core game, somehow isn't even relevant over there either. It really appears to be all about the latest (JPG) ships now for most people and the weird history of the kickstarter campaign somehow makes it all "ok", or rather, i suspect, people just stopped thinking about it the way that they usually do with the forum majority being as it is.

What you get is sort: "Microtransactions 2.0, where the customer is happier the more the pay, especially since what they pay is for some yet unrealised future "dream" of a game instead of an actual finished/playable game where they might think twice about it. I.e. I think not yet actually seeing the results of what your money gets you and instead investing in a future "dream of a game ... or "ship"" is a major part of what is going on there as well.

Bottom line: Psychology is weird. And Chris Roberts is either a blundering fool or an evil overlord grade mastermind.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:34:56 am by Mikes »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
CR accidentally stumbled into a situation where people were just dumping wheelbarrows full of money on his head. I agree that it may turn out to have been better for the *game* if that hadn't happened. Nevertheless, happen it did, and I can sort of sympathize with not wanting to kill the golden goose. "No thanks, please stop giving me tens of millions of dollars" takes a lot of willpower and certainty.

And now they're completely off the rails into totally uncharted territory and nobody knows for sure what's going to happen.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

haha wut

There is a pistol through the wrist and some kind of spike thing jutting out from the palm/fingers.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
It's funny how badly the dogfighting plays when I developed the earliest prototype for Wings' flight model by ****ing around in tables for about an hour and even that earliest iteration with two fighters with a single weapon each came out vastly superior to this.

However I've been told there's some sort of insurance mechanic, which implies the risk of losing your zillion dollar ship if you don't keep up with your premiums, so no wonder it's so hard to kill anything, what if one of the whales gets his $8000 ship ganked by a huge mob of dudes in starter ships?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, supposedly early backers got Lifetime Insurance for free, or something like that. Replaced the ship, but not the gear. I think all preorder ships got them. Problem is, I think some change to how insurance is handled in-game pretty much made LTI pointless.