Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597818 times)

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
TW3's combat is *decent* but it's painfully clear that it's totally divorced from the good parts of the game. Skyrim's combat is clunky as **** but it fits better with the simulationist, first person, ~immersive~ viewpoint that the game uses to present its world.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
O/T - I recently started the Witcher 3 (after reading the 1st book) and it's sort of ruined every other sandbox/rpg game I own. The quantity and quality of lore, the sheer detail and uniqueness of the sidequests, particularly the monster-hunting ones...the game makes Bethesda look like ****ing dilettantes!

oh **** off, they're different games trying to do different things and there are plenty of places where skyrim makes TW3 look like a clumsy fisher-price tech demo

i don't even get why people like you compare tw3 to bethesda when it's so obviously a direct sibling to bioware RPGs

PH, could you please dial down the language to something more closely resembling that of reasonable adulthood?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Don't ever play any MMO or RPG, because they're all sandbox grindfests one way or another. :P

I wouldnt even call Elite a sandbox MMO, as it lacks such basic features as exchanging credits between players, years after release. Its like the devs go out of their way to make the gameplay as shallow as possible.

That said, it is still a better game at this stage than SC. My patience with waiting for 3.0 Jesus patch is slowly but surely wearing thin..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I wouldnt even call Elite a sandbox MMO, as it lacks such basic features as exchanging credits between players, years after release. Its like the devs go out of their way to make the gameplay as shallow as possible.

Well, the problem with just giving each other credits manifests itself when you see literally every player running around in the "biggest, best ships" shortly afterwards. That's, you know, game-breaking. You're not supposed to be able to outright buy everything at once and that's precisely what credit exchanges would result in. Players would also find a way around any exchange caps they run into.

Furthermore, nearly every feature Star Citizen has (except for Call of Duty IN SPAAAAAACE- wait, ****, Call of Duty did that already, didn't they...?) E:D has or Frontier has planned it. Braben has said at some point he wants people to be walking around in social environments and whatnot. Be a freighter pilot? In the game. Space trucking, yo. Be a pirate? YARR HARR FIDDLE-TEE-DEE! I think the only real differences between SC and E:D at this point are the fact that you can't land on planets themselves, just their moons. E:D doesn't go for the whole supar real simulation space shooty game that SC goes for and E:D doesn't have SC's astronomical list of ships and JPEGs... it just has a measly thirty+ ships. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm glad the game is still coming along.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Good Luck and Godspeed Ship.

not like I needed you to get home or anything...
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar

Good Luck and Godspeed Ship.

not like I needed you to get home or anything...

What a waste of a perfectly good opportunity to use this meme:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh God damn I watched that ship go to its people and I ****ing lost it
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
During long fidelity sessions in your chariot it's important to have regular breaks for some Yoga exercises. Carry on commando.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That's uh... some ****in' hardcore yoga, yo.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Overheard at CIG:

"So, Dave. You know how humans have hip joints."
"Yeah?"
"How do they, you know, rotate?"
"I dunno, four-dimensionally, I suppose."
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

The cyborg bodies of the future. ;)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Wow, the bugs are reliable enough to make a continuous gif!

Offline 666maslo666

3.0 production schedule has been released.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Lots of detailed info, but the bottom line is, Jesus patch is coming on June 29.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So it's going to ride in on a donkey to the waving of palms and cries of Hosanna only to anger the portion of its devotees who hoped it would dramatically uplift their station? :p
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
At this point, divine intervention is statistically more probable than CIG getting their fiscal policy under control. It's been officially confirmed that they are spending more than they are getting. They have to present something soon, or else.

Offline Mikes

At this point, divine intervention is statistically more probable than CIG getting their fiscal policy under control. It's been officially confirmed that they are spending more than they are getting. They have to present something soon, or else.

Mhhh did I miss that? Not saying it isn't so, but would like to see a link/quote. Would make me even more happy that I got my refund by now lol.

Offline 666maslo666

Depends on how much of the $150 million they have left, that is the big unknown. They could have enough cash reserves to continue for a year or two even when the funding dries up.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
We don't know the exact number of how much they've left, but running the numbers says 'not much'. We know for example, how many employees CIG had over the years. Cross-reference that with the average salary of employees and that's a hundred million gone at least, even if CRoberts has been underpaying his devs and keeps them going with the promises of prestige and something good for the resume, they're running low event without adding celebrity, animation and studio costs. To make matters worse, their initial backup plans (SQ42 ship sales), as confirmed by official sources, are failing, and there is still a lot of features not yet implemented. And Chris Roberts is still being his overly ambitious self, unwilling to compromise on his vision to do everything. Calling this a critical overextension would be like calling the magazine explosion on the HMS Hood a minor malfunction.

Ostensibly, CIG is trying to appear more transparent now, reactions to this are divided between cynicism and Alpha Complex tier mandatory happiness. Personally, I think the attempt at transparency would be more credible if that rather optismistic progress log didn't look like it's full of people who had their faces stapled into a perma-smile.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:16:42 am by Torchwood »