Author Topic: My mustang alphas and betas  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
My mustang alphas and betas
Are missing their LOD0 base textures, I'm getting the other LODs and spec and glow maps for LOD0, but not the base, white texture, they're all flying around black.

Is there something obvious I should have thought of and missed?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: My mustang alphas and betas
-jpgtga, perhaps?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Hey , I'm having the same problem with the fixed enhancment vp , but I am using 3.6.10 exes so there is no -jpgtga as it loads them by default .

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Can you guys post screenies?  Is the shine map just too dark?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Dysko

Can you guys post screenies?  Is the shine map just too dark?
Here it is:

It happens with both Mustang Alphas and Betas, but only with LOD0.
I'm using this build.
I downloaded everything except for normal maps (they are deactivated, since I don't know if my hardware can handle them).
My command line:
Code: [Select]
-mod tvwp -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -normal -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flashI'm using OpenGL at 1024*768, 32-bit, trilinear texture filter, 1x anisotropic filter. General settings are on High.
And I'm not using any mod.ini that directs to the MediaVPs, as specified in the release notes.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Same settings for me , just without the -spec option . It happened only with the fixed enhancment vp .

Offline PLX

I have the same problem.
With specular, enhanced or not mustangs are black. 
Without jpg/tga textures option game crashes.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've found the problem. And it's a mixture of build bug and fake data.

You have, and this is the priority order:
  • TVWP-enhanced.vp with mustanga.dds and mustanga.tga textures.
  • TVWP-models.vp with mustanga.pcx and mustanga.ani

Newest builds have changed the texture priority system. Now, at least in theory, textures in higher priority locations override textures in lower priority ones, despite of their formats. Texture format should only matter between textures in the same location. So mustanga.dds makes mustanga.tga useless as they are in the same place (format priority in the same place). And mustanga.dds should be loaded before .pcx or .ani ones (just general priority location).

But I don't know why, mustanga.ani is the loaded texture despite what I've just said and it seems that .ani clips are not valid for diffuse textures. Because of that you don't have the base texture and your model is rendered fully black.

So:
  • Build bug: texture priority should be revised. (I'm using XT1207, I'll PM Taylor a link to this thread).
  • If you take out that ani from the vp, your problems are gone. Please update "official" vp.

(I've discovered the issue unpacking tvwp-models.vp to a folder, so I can delete desired items, and then loading them through -mod flag).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:41:57 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Admiral Nelson

That's some fine police work there, Lou.

I am amazed at the solution to this problem.  Removing the ani loses the flickering intake, but thats okay, I guess.  Thanks for your help in locating the problem!  I'll upload a fix shortly.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
That's some fine police work there, Lou.

I am amazed at the solution to this problem.  Removing the ani loses the flickering intake, but thats okay, I guess.  Thanks for your help in locating the problem!  I'll upload a fix shortly.
Because of PMs with Taylor, I've noticed that there are some kind of hidden issue here too.

Wait for further reports.

EDITED ---

Basically this is what I've learned from Taylor (I'll update wiki ASAP):
  • Anis are valid for diffuse maps.
  • Animated textures (eff, anis) are always loaded before static ones (dds, tga, ...) despite their relative priority location.
  • In this way, mustanga.ani should be loaded despite any static texture in tvwp-enhanced.vp or in tvwp-models.vp
  • But it's not loaded because of some reason...  :wtf:  :wtf:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:29:32 am by ARSPR »
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thank you for all the testing.  :yes:

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
The bug:

• There's another mustanga.ani in TVWP-Interface.vp which is a ship selection animation not a ship texture.
  • As this mustanga.ani is in interface folder it should be ignored as a ship texture, as it actually happens.
  • BUT, it prevents any other lower-priority-placed mustanga.ani from being loaded. So TVWP-models.vp one is not loaded. This should be fixed. Taylor already knows about it.

A quick fix: Rename TVWP-Interface.vp to TVWP-MZ-Interface.vp (so it alphabetically goes after TVWP-Models.vp).

Nevertheless, mustanga.ani is animated but LOW-RES and makes enhanced mustanga.dds or tga textures useless. I think you should fix it  :confused: :confused:

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Taylor has fixed the bug.

At least from Xt0222, you should see the ship flawlessly.

(If you don't know where to get Xt0222 build, please don't ask me. They are neither public, nor private builds. Taylor make them available for all the people who know WHERE to get them. He doesn't publish where he uploads them).

Offline Admiral Nelson

Thank you once again for resolving this issue. :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
 :wtf: at ARSPR's post

uh... I'm a bit out of the loop... if I compile my own from the trunk it'll make the textures for the mustangs work, correct? Or is this some sort of super secret closed source build?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
uh... I'm a bit out of the loop... if I compile my own from the trunk it'll make the textures for the mustangs work, correct? Or is this some sort of super secret closed source build?
It's in the 3_6_9 branch.

Offline Solatar

So, how does the general public get them to work...without super secret access.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
So, how does the general public get them to work...without super secret access.
The fixes will be in the next available build, regardless of who releases it.

A new Xt build is delayed, with no current ETA, due to a bunch of multiplayer fixes/rewrites.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A comment for all the people demanding something from the SCP team, (Taylor in particular):

All of you should already know that Xt builds are FULLY experimental. They can have tons of issues. Taylor makes them available but he doesn't make a public announcement because there could be BILLION of newbies complaining about malfunctions, a lot of people complaining about why SCP team is releasing so crap builds, or even in worse cases, a full set of corrupted pilots through the whole Earth...

Taylor HAS published some of his Xt builds, (the builds that have enabled normal mapping support), but only when he is more or less sure that they work near flawlessly.

OTOH, when he patches 3.6.9. bugs, like this one, he also updates the public stable branch code. So any new stable branch build will work fine. If you want, you can always compile a personal build yourself.

But please NEVER DEMAND any work from coders, (or modders and modelers BTW). They freely spend their time working on a better FS2. So all the improvements and releases will be made when they are done...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I don't believe anyone here was being impolite, all of us were simply looking to resolve an issue.

I am very grateful to Taylor for all the work he's done, but compared to many of the threads I've seen, this one has been incredibly polite. I don't think asking where and how a build can be acquired to resolve the mustang issue is the same as "demanding anything"

My comment was a response to your comment, which suggested that only a few select people had access to the source code, and suggested a kind of secret squirrel arrangement, which didn't seem to jive with the normal operations of HLP.