Author Topic: TBP and OpenAL?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline wesp5

Hi, some time ago I wanted to show TBP to friends of mine on my upgraded computer and it didn't work because OpenAL wasn't installed. I really can't remember this, is it included with TBP and just wasn't registered correctly due to the upgrade or do one need to install it seperately which I may have done but forgotten? If it is the latter, could it be included with the next Zathras release? Also I would again recommend to include the necessary engine builds into the next version or at least offer a link for them on the main download page. BTW, there are a lot of broken download links on the official page that should be removed: download.com, game front, rapidshare and megaupload of course...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
OpenAL needs to be installed separately. Get the installer here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wesp5

I already did :)! But still this is no way to present a cool mod to beginners, needing to install both newer engine builds and OpenAL seperately with no links on the main download page. I bet other FS2 mods like the Battlestar Galactica are more user friendly! I suggest to include everything that is needed into the next Zathras version, so that TBP and Zathras are enough to get everything going without the need to search around the internet...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
wesp, you can't.  TBP is not supposed to be modified, as per the original creator's wishes... so Zathras has to patch it instead of just updating TBP.  (That was my understanding, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.)

Offline wesp5

I know that TBP mustn't be modified, but I don't see why all the needed stuff can't be included in Zathras. BTW, shouldn't it very well be possible to create a new TBP installer offering a Basic version (original TBP) and a Plus version (Zathras patch) on installation and thus honor the original agreements while using only one installer file?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
One of the biggest drawbacks with the original release is that it was for windows only.  Anyone wanting to play on another OS must install on windows and copy the files over.  The original version of Zathras included the latest windows exes at the time.  This was before there were 6 different versions of FS2_Open just for windows.  We can't determine what OS and hardware you have so adding that stuff to Zathras is really out of the question. 

At some point we do hope to do another DVD but until we get some major new content and other stuff finished it's not going to happen. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

This was before there were 6 different versions of FS2_Open just for windows.

But isn't it possible to only add the latest compatible one without debugger which is the minimum to use?

We can't determine what OS and hardware you have so adding that stuff to Zathras is really out of the question. 

How many people are playing this on Linux compared to Windows? Also the Linux people already get a seperate mirror. Why not include the Linux exes there and the others into Zathras?

At some point we do hope to do another DVD but until we get some major new content and other stuff finished it's not going to happen.

Then please at least add working links to OpenAL and the compatible builds to the download page...

Offline Slasher

Admittedly, if the installer could assess the user's setup and automatically extract the proper .exe and any other necessities (OpenAL for Windows users) based on hardware and OS then it would be grand but we don't have that ability, unfortunately.  Playing "vanilla FreeSpace Open" isn't really any less complicated: the same steps and number of separate downloads are involved, minus Zathras but plus the mediaVPs, so it's arguably more difficult to get regular FS2 up and running than TBP!

I definitely agree a working OpenAL link on either the main TBP/Zathras download pages/threads would be helpful.  I think the links are already referenced second hand in those threads (under Inferno builds, part 3 of the Zathras installation instructions), but it wouldn't hurt to make it more accessible.  Maybe even direct link to the executables and Launcher themselves and cut out the middleman thread altogether. 

Still, even when not counting pre-3.4 releases, The Babylon Project is still the most downloaded mod/TC for FreeSpace 2 on record, despite the disparate download track.  Not too bad, and credit to people like FUBAR and hip63 for making that possible.   :yes:

Offline wesp5

Admittedly, if the installer could assess the user's setup and automatically extract the proper .exe and any other necessities (OpenAL for Windows users) based on hardware and OS then it would be grand but we don't have that ability, unfortunately.

Really? I mean the mod can't use the same installer for Windows and Linux anyway, and I'm quite sure some free installers, like e.g. InnoSetup, are able to look into the registry to see if other programs, e.g. OpenAL, are installed.

Maybe even direct link to the executables and Launcher themselves and cut out the middleman thread altogether.

I agree, especially as most people won't think about looking into a forum for necessary downloads links.

Still, even when not counting pre-3.4 releases, The Babylon Project is still the most downloaded mod/TC for FreeSpace 2 on record, despite the disparate download track.

Because it's as amazing as the Babylon 5 show was when it was on air :)! Which is the main reason why I keep suggesting improvements to installing. Who knows how many B5 fans out there haven't tried it? As I wrote when I started this thread, I wanted to show it to some friends and couldn't get it to run because of the missing OpenAL install. I doubt anyone of them would try it themselves after that ;)...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Didn't hip63's Installer prompt users to install OpenAL, and include an OpenAL install?  I forget.

Offline Slasher

I think so but it's been a long time since I tried it myself.  In any event, going by ModDB and freespace mods stats alone, there are hundreds of people who just download the considerably smaller TBP 3.4 Core package and proceed to pick and choose what TBP mods and campaigns they want with it.  I'm not certain people grabbing only the absolute minimum install pack are prompted about OpenAL, and those people probably don't realize something's wrong until they first try to run TBP. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah, I know... There should be a popup or something from the Launcher stating:

WARNING:
You need to have OpenAL installed to play this.  Get oalinst.exe here.
You will be only prompted about this once.  If you need to review this information, you may find it in the OpenALprompt_complete.txt file in the directory where you installed this game.
If you wish the game to prompt about this again, delete the OpenALprompt_complete.txt file.

and once it's told you, it should put "OpenALprompt_complete.txt" in the FS2 Directory with the contents of the prompt in it.  Then the program just checks if the file is there, if not, it prompts and creates the file.