Author Topic: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [CLOSED - 1/1/14]  (Read 60928 times)

Offline Axem

Re: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [BETA 2 - 12/7/13]
1) Either revert back to 3612 nebulas (which is very unlikely in this case)

Just a note, the 3.6.12 nebulas are the same as the ones in beta 2. After the 3.6.12 mediavps were released, in the effort to reduce file and texture sizes, the nebulas were reconverted to dxt3, killing a lot of the fidelity and making them quite a bit darker. They were reverted after Beta 1. So there's no need to go back to the 3.6.12 nebulas... they already are.

(But I support your argument that the bloom intensity is too high... in general, not just for the mediavps. Why its not a tabled feature is beyond me...)

Apparently just one more post.

-----

Then change your settings. There, simple. Hell, the new launcher has radio buttons for even the most intellectually challenged person to change their lighting settings.

FFS I KNOW HOW TO CHANGE MY BLOOM INTENSITY!!! This whole argument is around the default value. And I also considered a possibility of opening a new thread in a SCP build subforum, as I said in my earlier posts.

However, you will need to make a convincing argument as to why MediaVPs 2014 is the mod that gets to define what the default settings are.

2 ways: Either the SCP adjusts or the MediaVP adjusts. After all, MediaVP is a mod that 95 % of other mods refer to, and they very often use MediaVP nebula graphics. So I think it's very rational to assume that some kind of harmony between SCP engine default values and MediaVP assets should exist.

That's it really. This has gone into ridiculous lenghts by now, when originally all I asked was to reconsider maintaining this previously established harmony. Because I fail to see the advantages of not maintaining it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All I'm trying to tell you is that there is nothing to adjust. FSU can't just flip a switch and have bloom react as it used to. We have better nebulas, we no longer carry our own shaders, our post processing table is a little different now, etc.

You are asking us to go on a witch hunt to change something that anyone who dislikes can change by typing a number in the launcher because you think we can just 'revert back'. It doesn't work like that. You are missing a fundamental understanding the whole system.

As for this 'harmony' you are speaking of. It's not like FSU and SCP have meetings about how best to upgrade FS for each release cycle. SCP pretty well does their own thing irregardless of FSU unless we ask for any specific feature. We then just take the released execs and use the features builtin to upgrade the canon FS ships, missions, and effects. That's all there is to it.

If you are so worried about the average user who can't change the commandline (a user group, that I suspect is closer to myth than reality anyway), go to SCP with Axem's support and ask them to alter the default value in the exec. But please stop implying that the MediaVPs are refusing to 'fix it', because there's nothing to fix in the modpack that will directly result in a revert to previous bloom values doing exactly what they did in 3612.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline bcKq

• yeah
Ok setting -bloom_intensity to 20 did the job.
At 75 the nebulas are just... too strong

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Altering the default bloom setting in the code is trivial:

Code: [Select]
diff --git a/code/cmdline/cmdline.cpp b/code/cmdline/cmdline.cpp
index b6a9cdb..9effec8 100644
--- a/code/cmdline/cmdline.cpp
+++ b/code/cmdline/cmdline.cpp
@@ -294,7 +294,7 @@ int Cmdline_height = 1;
 int Cmdline_enable_3d_shockwave = 0;
 int Cmdline_softparticles = 0;
 int Cmdline_postprocess = 0;
-int Cmdline_bloom_intensity = 75;
+int Cmdline_bloom_intensity = 20;
 bool Cmdline_fxaa = false;
 int Cmdline_fxaa_preset = 6;
 extern int Fxaa_preset_last_frame;

Adding it as a table-able option will not be as trivial as this but it'll probably be fairly easy.  If you want to pursue it, open that thread on the SCP board :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
For the sake of heading off further fighting heated discussions, may I suggest that any further bloom value debate be taken over to Axem's thread in the SCP folder.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
You might want to include in the notes on the title page that this requires the latest nightly and will not work with the 3.7.0 release build.  Since this generates errors on that build due to the countermeasures.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
This does bring up one question for me.

Is there going to be a new stable build released for FSO?

I ask because as a guideline mods are "supposed" to be developed for the current stable build, and yet we have perhaps the most important mod in the community preparing to release using features/changes created after this point.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Apparently I'm an ass because someone messed with our post_processing.tbl randomly during the last two years and our dysfunctional team opted to let me argue and debate rather than just poke me and let me know about it. I was unaware until I saw it posted in the bloooooooooom thread.

I set the values to normal levels which is not a direct fix to your over sensitivity to bloom effects, but it definitely was not helping.

Offline Hellzed

I've just added Media VPs 2014 support to my mod installer for Linux.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86364.msg1725121#msg1725121

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Apparently I'm an ass because someone messed with our post_processing.tbl randomly during the last two years and our dysfunctional team opted to let me argue and debate rather than just poke me and let me know about it.
Except your attitude is not any different regardless of whether you are let to know about something.

Offline Hellzed

I'm not sure if the coop missions are supposed to be a part of mediavps...
There are fixes for the coop campaign here : http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82967.0
Are these included ?

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
I'm running the 2014 mediaVPs with my mod at present.  Haven't come across any bugs so far.  Nice work guys :)  The Arcadia especially is stunning.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Apparently I'm an ass because someone messed with our post_processing.tbl randomly during the last two years and our dysfunctional team opted to let me argue and debate rather than just poke me and let me know about it.
Except your attitude is not any different regardless of whether you are let to know about something.

Thanks, mom.

Offline Hellzed

Just a little question : why is there a thick ugly green line at the edges of every loading screen ? It has been present since at least Media VPs 3612... I thought it was abug but it's still there...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Pics plz. Just because a bug persists does not mean it's not a bug. Simply means that it hasn't been reported.. and, more likely, that not everyone has it.

Offline Hellzed

Same loading screen. The "green" one is with mediavps_2014_beta, the darker one is with retail version...

It's a matter of taste, maybe, but the retail one looks better to me. Ok, Media VPs textures look cleaner, with less compression artefacts, but it also has this green frame and color issues between the progress bar and its background.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:45:13 am by Hellzed »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The green themed background is intentional :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The only issue I see in the screens there is the mismatched colors box around the loading dots. I generally know what's causing it. FSO is simply layering the loading dots ANI on top of the background. So I checked the colors of the dots vs the actual background image in Photoshop and they seem to match perfectly. Likely there is something slightly different with the way FSO is displaying DDS images, ANI images, or both... and frankly, I really don't care enough about it to spend time sorting it all out for such a trivial issue.

Maybe one of the other guys on the team will look into it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just as general aesthetic feedback, I do prefer the retail no-green background - I think it fits the stark, clean aesthetic a little better. But no worries about it, just a datum to register if it's useful.