Author Topic: Hitting craft with Xwings and TIE Interceptors  (Read 12500 times)

Re: Hitting craft with Xwings and TIE Interceptors
98% you'll never have to worry about this problem.  With the TIE Fighter I can bullseye ships at 1000m with little problem.  The guns are so close together that convergence is never an issue.  Xwing, Bwing, TIE Interceptor, Toscan, and maybe TIE Defender/Advanced.  The math actually shouldn't be that bad, my convergence code should get you pretty close.  As long as you can normalize a vector you should be alright.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I just meant that if we wanted to go with a static convergence, vs a dynamic one, it should be able to be set as a distance in the table.  I'm thinking something like having a variable called $Convergence Type, which is either default (none), pof, static (defined with another var), or auto.  If static, have $Convergence Range, which would be in Freespace units.  Auto would follow the rules I defined over in the request forum.  I think this would cover almost any situation for any mod.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I don't know where the "no auto convergance" came from, all I remember about the A-Wing's gun setup is that it had true swiveling guns (and a chin turret added to later versions).

As for static convergance - in XWA you could choose between preset distances for the crafts that had static settings. That could work too.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
XWA had auto-convergence for at least some craft, perhaps even all of them... It worked so that in auto-converge mode, the game took the target's current distance and applied the convergence to that distance, regardless of where the lasers were pointed at.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline aRaven

in XWA there was auto and manual cannon convergence...you could switch between 0.2, 0,75 and 1,25 in manual mode by pressing y.

It would be cool to switch between several manual convergences and auto c. in SWC!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
These are some of the possibilities I'm looking at right now.  I'd like to see as many of them be coded in as possible, to offer the greatest variety to all the mods, not just the SWC.  A convergence type variable in the table would accomplish that nicely I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I'd second the convergence as well, mainly because we need it for one of our
craft on the Tachyon mod. It's similar to a tie (the one with 3 wings as a triangle).

As is, it's difficult to shoot much of anything.  :doubt:

But yes - there's at least one other mod out there that needs it.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It needs modifiable convergence?  Because static, one distance only convergence already exists.  You just have to define the firepoint's normals in Modelview.  But even that is tough, and I'd rather see the ability to set static convergences in the table, as a distance instead of defining normals.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I'm fairly sure the game calculated the convergence based upon the distance to target.
So basically - auto convergence.

We never had a selectable convergence method in tach... and really I doubt we'd want one
cause the dogfights are fast enough that the less you have to worry about pressing - the better.
Realism and X-wings, I can see it cause I used it as well in the games... but it's just not what we need.

Static would work as a temp - and that's one reason I've kept an eye on this thread.
But it's really only a band-aid; when you are constantly moving in and out plus latting in
an oval/circle dance of sorts with your opponent, a static convergence set too close or too far
is going to cost you that fight over and over again.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Darkhill:  You can play with weapon normals in Modelview.  But as far as I can tell they aren't used anywhere in the game.  When the game creates the laser it just uses the forward vector of the firing craft to set the direction they travel.

Chief1983:  You just have to define the firepoint's normals in Modelview.  But even that is tough, and I'd rather see the ability to set static convergences in the table, as a distance instead of defining normals.

Caculating the cannon firing vectors for a static XXX meter convergence point from each cannon's (X,Y,Z) firing point to a (X,Y,Z) point out in front of the craft on the centerline... is not difficult math.  It's really simple... and I'd be glad to help whomever do it.  You could simply set this in the model using Modelview for a default-- or it could probably be added to a table with a simple coding change.  If you do the latter, then perhaps it could be a Mission parameter that you're allowed to set before a mission-- just like selecting what missiles you want... you also can choose what fixed convergence point you want.  That would seem realistic.  Then it would be completely customizable by the player for a mission-- yet fixed to satisfy canon.  Right?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
archangel, I was wondering if it would be possible to set it before a mission.  That would definitely be a nice feature, and be completely canon, yes.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Err... guys, we have a perfectly viable convergence system already, and constantly asking for more is probably a really good way to piss off the coders and really, there're a lot more important things they could be doing, even if you're just thinking about this one mod (let alone the dozens of others they're helping out too).

We can set a static convergence on a per ship basis in the pof, something wer couldn't do even twelve months ago. Surely that's enough?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Yes it is IMO
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It will definitely work for now, but I wasn't thinking this would only be useful for one mod either.  I really think other mods could make use of it.  Either way, I wouldn't consider any changes to it a high priority or anything.  Just a thought for anyone who was bored with whatever more important changes they were making, or for anyone who's partial to our cause :)

X-wing cannon firing hard-points...  not to upset anyone  :nervous: , but as you set these to a fixed convergence point in the model file... couldn't you simply set one diagonal bank of cannons to have one fixed convergence point (say short range) and the other diagonal bank to have a longer static convergence point?  That would seem a realistic solution if this were a real fighter in a real universe...   :nod:

Offline Dysko

Maybe you could use this.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Cool that should save some time. :)
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

As I recall, it was never possible to hit a TIE Fighter with all four lasers of an X-Wing in either the games or books. The whole purpose of the lasers spread out like that was to cover a larger target area, increasing the odds of landing any hit. Of course this would only work with extremely rapid fire lasers or in quad mode.

As to the B-Wing: In the original X-Wing game, I would use the Ion cannons set to linked fire, aim the two cannons mounted just beneath the cockpit and let the wing mounted one fire where it will. This could disable a TIE Fighter with one good hit. I can't remember about the XvT B-Wing. Besides, it's not a space superiority fighter anyway, it's designed for pounding on cap ships.

In conclusion, I think that a fixed convergence or even no convergence would work just fine.

P.S. Would it be possible for me to play this demo with the TIE interceptor that can't hit ****?

P.P.S. Does anybody know where to download all or most of the SCP mods?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We don't really have a demo to hand out yet, although the other SW mod that Darkhill does might still be taking on beta tester.  I think that's the one you're referring to anyway.  And thanks for the input.

Offline Grey Wolf

I'm assuming that my X-Wing was removed from the project, given that it was designed back before the poly limit was increased?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw