Author Topic: Contacting Earth  (Read 9633 times)

Just wondering, why is it that the GTVA never tried to contact earth with Sublight ships or short range FTL jumps. During some of the missions command contacts you despite not being near the carrier or any other capital ship so that would imply they have FTL communications across a small area (since they don't talk between nodes). So why didnt they try sending a ship to earth with small jumps from Alpha Centauri (which is 5 light years away) or if that doesn't work they could send dozens of unmanned ships to link up a FTL communications line.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
4,3 ly to be precise.

They can't jump out outside the gravity well of the star, that's the subspace drive limitation, only workaround is a jump node.... but the only one connecting to Sol was collapsed during the great war.

They could still try to contact them on the regular FTL transmissions, i bet they could have technology to send messages at that distance, light or laser, idk.

But why not? Because it is a game, and they wanted to build a setting where Sol state is unknown.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They almost certainly have contacted Sol, but given the issues of data rate and the like for communication over that distance it's possible that they've learned very little. It's not simple to hold a conversation when you have to wait eight years for a reply.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
That's assuming that the locations connected by subspace jump nodes are linked to same time through normal space. There is no guarantee that is the case.

Clearly, all locations interconnected by jump nodes share a stable time coordinate, which allows a multi-system civilization to exist in a meaningful sense, and more importantly maintains some kind of story continuum. But the fact that intersystem nodes basically connect parts of space through a shortcut (subspace), it is just as likely that there may be a temporal shift as you travel through the node as well.

Perhaps as you travel from Sol to Delta Serpentis via the original node, you don't emerge in the "same time" as when you left Earth. You may be decades or centuries off. There's really no guarantee. This is not mentioned in the games, but I think it's entirely plausible that traveling to Alpha Centauri through the nodes may actually mean you're in a different time than Earth.

And that's assuming that you're even in the same universe. In fact, since jump nodes leading to future or especially to the past have a tendency to generate brain-imploding paradoxes, it's entirely possible that each jump node leads to a different universe altogether, just to make sure that future Terrans can't communicate with past Earth from Alpha Centauri, or vice versa...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Just to nail this down, exactly HOW long would it take for non-subspace radio transmissions to travel back and forth between Sol and Alpha Centauri?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just to nail this down, exactly HOW long would it take for non-subspace radio transmissions to travel back and forth between Sol and Alpha Centauri?

4.3 years one-way, 8.6 years to get a response...not accounting for turnaround time at the destination if they need to think about the response.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
IIRC correctly from GCSE physics lessons, radio waves essentially travel at the speed of light (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Now, I thought Alpha Centauri was actually 4.5 light years away from earth, but TheHound says its 4.3 light years. So, there is your answer for the time it takes a message to go one way!

The only other way to communicate faster than the speed of light, I imagine would involve a technology which would utilise tachyon particles, which can travel faster than light. How fast tachyons travel has not yet been measured as far as I am aware, because I think they are still a theorised exotic particle.

Spoiler:
Blue Planet touches on this in WiH Act 3 when it says that they had already had some kind of contact with earth, which gives reasons for why the Tevs started to attack Sol!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:17:26 pm by Gee1337 »
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks. So it's even more illogical that the FS2 GTVA had no clue what was going on in Sol. Another bit of canon that anyone writing a realistic-ish campaign needs a workaround for.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

That's assuming that the locations connected by subspace jump nodes are linked to same time through normal space. There is no guarantee that is the case.

Clearly, all locations interconnected by jump nodes share a stable time coordinate, which allows a multi-system civilization to exist in a meaningful sense, and more importantly maintains some kind of story continuum. But the fact that intersystem nodes basically connect parts of space through a shortcut (subspace), it is just as likely that there may be a temporal shift as you travel through the node as well.

Perhaps as you travel from Sol to Delta Serpentis via the original node, you don't emerge in the "same time" as when you left Earth. You may be decades or centuries off. There's really no guarantee. This is not mentioned in the games, but I think it's entirely plausible that traveling to Alpha Centauri through the nodes may actually mean you're in a different time than Earth.

And that's assuming that you're even in the same universe. In fact, since jump nodes leading to future or especially to the past have a tendency to generate brain-imploding paradoxes, it's entirely possible that each jump node leads to a different universe altogether, just to make sure that future Terrans can't communicate with past Earth from Alpha Centauri, or vice versa...

This is such an ugly attempt at patching the universe it's better to just leave the red herring of relativistic communications unmentioned altogether.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

IIRC correctly from GCSE physics lessons, radio waves essentially travel at the speed of light (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Now, I thought Alpha Centauri was actually 4.5 light years away from earth, but TheHound says its 4.3 light years. So, there is your answer for the time it takes a message to go one way!

The only other way to communicate faster than the speed of light, I imagine would involve a technology which would utilise tachyon particles, which can travel faster than light. How fast tachyons travel has not yet been measured as far as I am aware, because I think they are still a theorised exotic particle.

Spoiler:
Blue Planet touches on this in WiH Act 3 when it says that they had already had some kind of contact with earth, which gives reasons for why the Tevs started to attack Sol!

Radio waves travel at the speed of light because they are light. FTL communication obviously exists in the Freespace universe (your conversations with command don't have any latency, and besides you could just have a courier jump around with your messages); but it seems to follow the same rules as FTL travel: constrained to within a system or through jump nodes.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
This is such an ugly attempt at patching the universe it's better to just leave the red herring of relativistic communications unmentioned altogether.

Exactly.

That way lies madness.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

It's unfortunate that this very idea was ignored or dismissed by others... I find it fascinating. Reminds of Interstellar by Nolan. That whole (proven) concept kinda blows my brain a little bit.

PS: I knew when I saw a Herra Tohtori post it was going to be interesting... :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

So in an effort to find interesting tangents to this topic, I observe this: FS intrasystem jumps are, apparently, able to navigate through the entire solar system with ease. In the densest parts of globular clusters, the average distance between stars is about the same distance; so you should be able to jump continuously between hundreds or thousands of stars, as opposed to a single system. Discuss.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Well, I think that command DID contact with Sol, but kept the contact within very high level of security, so alpha 1 couldn't know it, and later, they had more to worry about, like the Shivans.

Only persons like the leader of the security council, or general assembly would be the ones to know.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
So in an effort to find interesting tangents to this topic, I observe this: FS intrasystem jumps are, apparently, able to navigate through the entire solar system with ease. In the densest parts of globular clusters, the average distance between stars is about the same distance; so you should be able to jump continuously between hundreds or thousands of stars, as opposed to a single system. Discuss.

Can habitable planets (for Terrans/Vasudans) exist in globular clusters?  Or would all infrastructure need to exist in orbit?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well, I think that command DID contact with Sol, but kept the contact within very high level of security, so alpha 1 couldn't know it, and later, they had more to worry about, like the Shivans.

Only persons like the leader of the security council, or general assembly would be the ones to know.

Why would they keep it secret though? Even if its a slow communication they can use it for morale and information transfer. They should be having all their universities and technical schools sending technology back and forth.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Actually i played a campaign that featured such solution :)

Well, who knows, Command tend to keep things secret, like Bosh and ETAK, they knew all along.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage

Spoiler:

Radio waves travel at the speed of light because they are light. FTL communication obviously exists in the Freespace universe (your conversations with command don't have any latency, and besides you could just have a courier jump around with your messages); but it seems to follow the same rules as FTL travel: constrained to within a system or through jump nodes.

Yea I did know, but I wasn't entirely sure if my memory was accurate (it's late here in the UK.. so a coupla beers and whiskys n that...).  Yes, there is obviously ftl communication there, but I presumed that it relied on the subspace nodes which is why I didn't mention it as I felt it was covered earlier. However, we could probably do with a resident physicist to maybe shed some light on communication involving tachyon particles to see if it would be possible. If it is, then I would presume that this is a tech that the GTVA has not yet been able to implement.
I do not feel... I think!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
this thread is painful to read

I do wonder, however, is anyone interested in the idea of the GTVA/Sol sending each other one-way packages/status updates on each government's situation? The story idea/implications?

you know, rather than "gtva/sol have had literally no contact since earth's jump nodes got nuked" because that's dumb

i'm kinda up for the idea of earth being all "what the **** did you people do. why did capella explode" and the gtva being all "well excuuuuse us it was the shivans"

Can habitable planets (for Terrans/Vasudans) exist in globular clusters?  Or would all infrastructure need to exist in orbit?

No, planets would not be stable enough to support life. I think that makes the environment a bit more interesting in some ways.

i'm kinda up for the idea of earth being all "what the **** did you people do. why did capella explode" and the gtva being all "well excuuuuse us it was the shivans"

Capella's 42ly away from Earth, man.