Author Topic: Any way to run an external desktop graphics card on a laptop?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Any way to run an external desktop graphics card on a laptop?
Happy Easter! :) Anyhow, I bought a desktop graphics card for my laptop. (Yeah, I'm not very hardware-savvy. Go ahead and laugh at my stupidity.) What's the cheapest (and preferably simplest) way to hook an external graphics card up to a laptop, provided I have an extra monitor? Card's a PCI-E x16, low-spec but doesn't need a power adapter. Laptop has a VGA port, and an ExpressCard slot (I think.)

I'm aware that this may not be practically feasible. If that's the case, I'll just send the card back.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:50:48 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: Any way to run an external desktop graphics card on a laptop?
IIRC Alienware and MSI were working on true external GPU enclosures, but they require specific laptops to use (if they're even available yet). PCI-ExpressCard adapters exist, but as far as I'm aware I don't think it would be possible to use with your laptop's screen. (without some extra crazy adapter that would involve tearing apart your laptop case and disconnecting your screen, at least).

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
this is one I read about recently.  "More interesting perhaps is the PCIe interface, which up until now has always been the sticking point in getting a video card chassis to market. The good news is that Alienware has more or less solved the problem, but the bad news is that the interface is a proprietary Alienware/Dell design that is only available on their laptops."
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Send it back.

Or drop $300-400 on a barebones AMD system and throw it in that.  Regardless, there is absolutely no point in having a desktop video card for a laptop at this moment in time unless you have a ridiculous amount of expendable cash, which would be better used simply buying a more powerful laptop anyway.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, you dun goofed and there really isn't anything to do bout it short of getting a refund.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together