Author Topic: SD Demon model up for grabs  (Read 13865 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: SD Demon model up for grabs
Ragingloli's Typhon is very good and does feel like a Typhon.
It's the Esarai's Typhon that doesn't.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Personally, TrashMan, I like your Demon model. It might need more details in certain areas, but in general it stays true to form. I'd need to take a look at the actual model in comparison to the original model (in my program) to make a more detailed analysis, but making sure the plating is properly aligned, then adding a few more details here and there would go a long way.

In general, the aesthetic the model conveys fits in well with both FS1 and FS2 Shivan ships.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Alright people, calm down or the thread gets locked.

I've noticed that texturing seems to make even really good models appear to be less.. good. Somehow suggesting detail through maps blocks out the actual detail of the model.

In the case of your model I especially like the "head" of your Demon, Trashman. It has some nice lines in it, though they could be accentuated a bit more. I think the biggest problem with your Demon is that the overall shape is too similar to the original Demon. Adding detail won't solve the problem, obviously. Little details will do nothing to the shape, and the texture will just negate them anyways. I feel the best solution would be to modify the entire shape, so that it's set apart from the original. Do more of what you did on the "head", just do it all over ship.

Of course, the newest Cain and Hatsheput seem to be exceptions to the idea that textures detract from the geometry. If anything, they've got too much detail, to the detriment of the model. They feel distinctly "michelin man"-ish. Like they were inflated with air. A blow-up Cain, if you will.

Offline Kolgena

I can barely tell where the extra polies went in the body. I also think you need to imagine some details in there. Do something creative with the plate overlaps, put probably not as quiltwork insane as Hades' paint sketchup looks like. Also, an AO bake would help a ton with adding some depth if we're going to stick with tiling that grey texture over most of everything. Thematically, that kinda makes sense as it'll look related to the Ravana.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Now, the question is - what makes the demon, a demon?
Should it retain some harder, more agressive edges OR should it be curved and smoothed?
Should it's armor be greebled up to whazoo OR should it look liek one massive, monolithic chunk?

Answer these questions and we'll get some idea as to how we want to take the Demon if you don't like this on. Especially if you want to give it more "artistic liberty"...

***** and scream about adding your beloved "artistic liberty" as you want...

The rear arch and the head of this model look pretty good, its just the main body that seems to be missing something, but I don't think that the armor greebles should be modelled in, the normal maps for the texture do that job pretty well.
The neck is also a place where there's some room for creativity.

Yeah, so I think this one's on kinda the right track, just not really done yet.

Decide on how it should look first, then talk about how we get there. Throwing around vague terms like adding creative liberty is useless, and meaningless.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Now, the question is - what makes the demon, a demon?
Should it retain some harder, more agressive edges OR should it be curved and smoothed?
Should it's armor be greebled up to whazoo OR should it look liek one massive, monolithic chunk?

Answer these questions and we'll get some idea as to how we want to take the Demon if you don't like this on. Especially if you want to give it more "artistic liberty"...

***** and scream about adding your beloved "artistic liberty" as you want...
Well that's for the modeller to decide. People can give feedback while the model progresses, which is how it worked with the Hat and Cain.

Offline Droid803

So who is the modeller?
Doesn't look like TrashMan wants to keep working on it (or has time to).
(´・ω・`)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So who is the modeller?
Whoever decides to take it up.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
This model has the basis for promise. I can approve of the fact that it retains much about the original, it gives a good basic starting point at the very least.

As for maps vs mesh, Texturing can be handled many different ways. Some methods will convey detail, others will obscure it.

In the end, it come down to the fact that there are very few people that work on FreeSpace models of any sort (by comparison of TCs or other mods) that virtually any thing can be an improvement, even this model. If tetxtured better than the existing model, while it may not make for the same uberfication as the Hatshepsut, it will at least give us something more optimized and usable that what we currently have.

And at the end of the day, the important question isn't "does it have moar greebles than the last one" but "is it usable and at least aesthetically meaningful enough to warrant its use".

Without knowing anything about it's geometry as I haven't opened it, aside from needing some more refinements in the texturing space, I call the mesh itself a good start and I look forward to seeing how it progresses, with full credits if/when it goes in.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So who is the modeller?

I'd probably re-do the central body if I were to start it up again. Maybe make the rear with a different method.
Remember, this is an older model, so it's not quite my best work.

And thing with textures is..what kind of texture it is? Some just don't work well for conveying detail. Some just don't look good at all. The reason I quit making the demon when I first tried was because texturing the rear with the stock texture proved impossible. It was horribly streched and looked...fugly. 
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

If you(or anyone else) do work on it again, I think it would be a good thing to add some details on the missile launchers.

Offline peterv

Wait a bit people, this is under the patronage of the highest powers of the FSU  :shaking:

Offline Droid803

And thing with textures is..what kind of texture it is? Some just don't work well for conveying detail. Some just don't look good at all. The reason I quit making the demon when I first tried was because texturing the rear with the stock texture proved impossible. It was horribly streched and looked...fugly. 

I'd think it'd be best to do a full (or at the very very very least partial like the Ravana's) UVmap of the whole thing then paint on it using the retail textures as a base. That way you can add detail to the texture where needed.

Attempting to work with just the stock tiles are kinda an excercise in futility.
(´・ω・`)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
inb4tilingsucks
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Is it just me, or is there a lot of yelling about an abandoned model that so far nobody - Trashman included - has suggested they will pick up and carry through to the final stages? Maybe wait until someone actually plans to use this before you dogpile it?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline peterv

As said before, this model is under the patronage of the highest powers of the FSU . It's not abandoned anymore and you'll see improvements to it soon.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'd think it'd be best to do a full (or at the very very very least partial like the Ravana's) UVmap of the whole thing then paint on it using the retail textures as a base. That way you can add detail to the texture where needed.

Attempting to work with just the stock tiles are kinda an excercise in futility.

It will need a custom texture....trust me on that.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!