Author Topic: Ph3AR ME!!11 (system specs thread)  (Read 1915 times)

Ph3AR ME!!11 (system specs thread)
Well, $1k worth of upgrades later....

New system specs

AMD X2 4400+ @ 2.65 Ghz
256 mb BFG 7800GT @480mhz
1 gig of ram
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR

These X2's are just simply incredible! If you have the means, I highly recommend that you get your hands on one. Ive already overclocked it 250mhz with no effort and stock cooling and it runs great! Windows boots in like 8 seconds, encodings that took hours before now only take minutes. Good stuff.

Well damn.

Hope you've got that thing hooked up to a decent monitor.

Offline Grey Wolf

You're just a bit ahead of me:
AMD A64 3500+
MSI NX6800GT-TD256
1GB Mushkin Blue (2-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)
Lite-On 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
250GB Hitachi 7K250
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value (evil)

What cooling did you put on the processor? Stock, Zalman, Thermalright, or something else?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Grey Wolf
You're just a bit ahead of me:
AMD A64 3500+
MSI NX6800GT-TD256
1GB Mushkin Blue (2-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)
Lite-On 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
250GB Hitachi 7K250
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value (evil)

What cooling did you put on the processor? Stock, Zalman, Thermalright, or something else?

stock, models 4400+ and up come with the FX cooler. It is working quite well for a stock hsf.  The temps are 31 C idle and 44 C under load, which are pretty good. I really havent experimented much with overclocking (just got my stuff yesterday), but I hope to reach 2.7 eventually.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:nervous:

*Flees*
-C

Offline Grey Wolf

I've given up on overclocking for the moment. I may reconsider it when games actually start catching up to my hardware.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Meh... im still lackin in all departments... my laptop is better than my desktop. im recyling older hardware on a good motherboard cause of money issues. if i had the dough id be up there too *****es lol

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
MatthewPapa, your system seriously needs another 1 GB RAM. 1 GB is by now usually recommended by latest games while 512 MB is the bare minimum. I hope you got your X2 4400+ cheap because 4200+ and above are overly priced. Other than that, your system should be able to keep up next 2 years or so.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Nice OC there. Most X2's top around 2.5ghz, so it looks like you got a very good sample. :yes: Another gig of memory would definitely be a better choice though.

I've given up on overclocking for the moment. I may reconsider it when games actually start catching up to my hardware.

I dunno, I've got a similar configuration and most modern games bring it to its knees with medium-high resolutions or AA, even though an OC has provided a nice boost.

Offline Grey Wolf

Nothing except cutting edge FPSs and mass hordes in RTSs can provoke any slowdown.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Depends on what you call cutting edge. The major FPSs after mid-2004 will only go up to 1280x960 without AA smoothly, and that's with the overclock.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
X2 is the dual core beauty isn't it?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Grey Wolf

vyper: Yes.
CP: So, which games are you talking about in particular? I ran HL2 at 1280x1024 with some light FSAA with no problems.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
HL2 is the one and only exception, working well at 1600x1200 (or 1280x960 with 4xAA), but none of the other games can do that, and in my opinion it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the rest anyway. Doom 3, Far Cry and SCCT are all stuck at 1280x960 (1024x768 in the latter two if HDR is on), as are several other new games judging from the benchmarks on hardware sites. This is all with the video card overclock taken into account; at stock speeds 1024x768 would be the standard for me, as 1280x960 struggles a bit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:40:45 am by 296 »

To think that I'll have a watercooled version of that system in a few weeks time...

I assume you meant GF7800GTX, Matthew? Or is that GT custom-overclocked?
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Grey Wolf

There's 2 7800 models out. The 24 pipeline GTX, and the 20 pipeline GT. This is as compared to the 6800GT, with it's 16 pipelines.

Yeah, but GTs don't usually run at 480MHz.

... do they?
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Grey Wolf

He overclocked it.

Next question?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
My games never drop below a gazillion frames a second, never have any jaggies, never get texture smearing, and look absolutely photorealistic.

Gawd I love real life. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Grey Wolf

I'm sorry, Sandwich. That's not a question. Also, check your PMs.