Author Topic: OT-Religion...  (Read 114008 times)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Oh and BTW, what does everyone mean about Irish? Thunder is Irish? Or is there somebody else? A higher power still? :jaw:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by Kellan
That way you will be remembered.

Pfff. Name me one non-religious figure who is remembered more than, say, 200 years after there death. Hell, name me one person in the last 50 years who is remembered with only admiration (excluding mother Theresa (sp?)).

The Cycle Of Remeberence
  • 1 day - Purely good memories
  • 10 days - The mistakes in yer life kill the happy memory crap
  • 1 year - Dogged with endless reams of all the crap you did on anniversary of death
  • 10 years - Impact on society is analysed by media people and psychologists, remembered as some who did nothing but inspired others to do stuff
  • 20 years - A mention on the TV on anniversary of death. School kids might learn about you depending on what exactly you did.
  • 50 years - Only infamous people are remembered
  • 100 years - Only great warriors and evil tyrants are remembered, and the odd few people are studied by A-level History students
  • 2000 years - Nothing but distorted, innacurate, vague information remains

Obviously writters and musicians are remembered longer, they kinda stay on day 10 and are talked about less and less over the years.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 01:15:26 pm by 397 »
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Thunder is Irish? Or is there somebody else? A higher power still? :jaw:

No, and No ;)

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Case in point: contraception. Although using it would lead to a reduction in AIDS deaths and other STD illnesses, the Catholic Church opposes it because it was decided, long ago that contraception was ungodly as it was deliberately designed to stop children being born. However, now it sentences far more people to death than would otherwise be the case.

You know what would lead to reduced AIDS cases and STD cases, which is also a Catholic teaching, absteince from pre-martial sex. Contraception isnt 100% but sex only during marriage would have a much higher degree of success. Of course, times do change and religious practise does slighty. Its not a big sin to use contraception during martial, outside any form of sex is sinning.

Also i was talking about Maeglamor, but couldnt quite remember how his name was spelt, thus i decided to avoid spelling it wrong and to use another naming convention.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2002, 01:14:49 pm by 419 »
Got Ether?

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Here are some tips if you guys wish to continue :

EFFECTIVE ARGUING

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments.

Simply follow these rules:

*Drink liquor.

Suppose you are at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about.

If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed.  Some may leave the room.

*Make things up.

Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove that Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you'll be damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: "I think Peruvians are underpaid." Say instead: "The average Peruvian's salary in 1981dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level."

NOTE: Always make up exact figures.

If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published on May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say, "You left your soiled underwear in my bathroom."

*Use meaningless but weighty-sounding words and phrases.

Memorize this list:

Let me put it this way
In terms of
Vis-a-vis
Per se
As it were
Qua
So to speak

You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as "Q.E.D.", "e.g.", and "i.e." These are all short for "I speak Latin, and you don't."

Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say, "Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money."

You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say, "Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D."

Only a fool would challenge that statement.

*Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.

You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevant phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are:

You're begging the question.
You're being defensive.
Don't compare apples to oranges.
What are your parameters?

This last one is especially valuable. Nobody (other than engineers and policy wonks) has the vaguest idea what "parameters" means.

Don't forget the classic: YOU'RE SO LINEAR.

Here's how to use your comebacks:

You say: As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873...
Your opponent says: Lincoln died in 1865.
You say: You're begging the question.

You say: Liberians, like most Asians...
Your opponent says: Liberia is in Africa.
You say: You're being defensive.

*Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler.

This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say, "That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say," or "You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler."
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Originally posted by an0n

Pfff. Name me one non-religious figure who is remembered more than, say, 200 years after there death. Hell, name me one person in the last 50 years who is remembered with only admiration (excluding mother Theresa (sp?)).

The reason that religious figures are remembered only with admiration is that they are:

A: Remembered only by religious people.
B: Their history is altered to make them seem better.
C: Criticising them is seen as wrong, because they were religious, blah blah, or they have the weight of a religion behind them.

Take Pope Pius XII - about to be Canonised, and thus being praised. However, he didn't stand up to the Nazis, was an anti-Semite, and refused to assisted in the evacutation of the Jews.

I'd rather believe in a flawed person than a supposed saint.

Therefore I don't think there's any point stating who is looked upon as universally admired, as I don't believe such people exist in normal conditions. Oh, and people who are looked on with a good deal of admiration include the Fouding Fathers, Bevan and Atlee, Franklin Roosevelt to name but a few.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Zeronet
You know what would lead to reduced AIDS cases and STD cases, which is also a Catholic teaching, absteince from pre-martial sex. Contraception isnt 100% but sex only during marriage would have a much higher degree of success. Of course, times do change and religious practise does slighty. Its not a big sin to use contraception during martial, outside any form of sex is sinning.

Pfff. What you mean is Catholic marriage. *cough*Africa*cough*, 6 wives, one dead husband, 6 infected new husbands. Castration and branding (or genocide) would be far more effective.

Don't catholics consider any sexual contact, except missionary, a sin?
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Take Pope Pius XII - about to be Canonised, and thus being praised. However, he didn't stand up to the Nazis, was an anti-Semite, and refused to assisted in the evacutation of the Jews.

Uh, well the Nazi would have kinda slaughtered all the catholics if he had and who can blame him for not helping the Jews. If you'd been competing with an ideology for thousands of years I'm sure you wouldn't want to be risking your ass helping them. They remained as neutral as they could, not very morally right but tactically sound.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!

Like you could stop people having sex entirely before marriage. :ha: You have to be pragmatic about the usage of contraception. I think that the sales of contraceptives have generally defeated this argument. And contraception is 99% or greater - it's a myth manufactured by antis that it's unsafe.

Besides, you can still get AIDS as a result of marital sex if you have ever had a bad blood transfusion, shared needles, etc.

You're sounding like George Bush. :p

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Pfff. What you mean is Catholic marriage. *cough*Africa*cough*, 6 wives, one dead husband, 6 infected new husbands. Castration and branding (or genocide) would be far more effective.

Don't catholics consider any sexual contact, except missionary, a sin?

:wtf: No, not at all, not at all.
Got Ether?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter

That's harsh.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!

Uh, well the Nazi would have kinda slaughtered all the catholics if he had and who can blame him for not helping the Jews. If you'd been competing with an ideology for thousands of years I'm sure you wouldn't want to be risking your ass helping them. They remained as neutral as they could, not very morally right but tactically sound.

So tactical soundness is all I can expect from religions that claim to offer universal salvation nowadays?

How times have changed. :o

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter

So tactical soundness is all I can expect from religions that claim to offer universal salvation nowadays?

How times have changed. :o

Yeah, in the good old days they would have went on a crusade to wipe them out. Now they just ignore them.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!

That's harsh.

I only deploy the George Bush in exceptional circumstances. ;)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!

Yeah, in the good old days they would have went on a crusade to wipe them out. Now they just ignore them.

Wow, that's progress. Would you walk by on the other side? Yes, yes they would.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Yakahidi, yakahida:
caesaor, Atila, Cleopatre(a?), vercingetorix, Galileo, Alexender the Great, Napoleon, ramses II, etc etc etc. Thx god (hehe) religion is not the only way to be famous.
SCREW CANON!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Wow, that's progress. Would you walk by on the other side? Yes, yes they would.

The Catholic Church offers salvation to all who can:
A) Repent and pledge their faith to the Catholic Church
B) Afford it

It wasn't there problem and they didn't make it there problem. Just like America during WW2, they stayed out of it until it was there problem.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Like you could stop people having sex entirely before marriage. :ha: You have to be pragmatic about the usage of contraception. I think that the sales of contraceptives have generally defeated this argument. And contraception is 99% or greater - it's a myth manufactured by antis that it's unsafe.

Besides, you can still get AIDS as a result of marital sex if you have ever had a bad blood transfusion, shared needles, etc.

You cant get aids as a result of marital sex during a blood transfusion, as it would be a bad thing to do during such an event :p. Also all blood donors are screened, sharing needles is usually between drug users, so its simple, dont do drugs. The best method against STDs and AIDs is abstienence, fact. Its not a myth that contraception isnt 99%, its fact.
Got Ether?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by venom2506

Yakahidi, yakahida:
caesaor Conqueror, Atila Conqueror, Cleopatra Conqueror/Whore, vercingetorix No, idea, Galileo Fair enough, Alexender the Great Conqueror, Napoleon Conqueror, ramses II Conqueror, etc etc etc. Thx god (hehe) religion is not the only way to be famous. Thank God for carnage.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter

Also all blood donors are screened, sharing needles is usually between drug users, so its simple, dont do drugs That's the most naive thing I have ever heard. The best method against STDs and AIDs is abstienence, fact Wrong, the best way is to eliminate the diseases. Its not a myth that contraception isnt 99%, its fact. Yeah, contraception on average. Condoms are 99% and diaphragms are like 60%, so you're saying that using both is less than 99% effective?