Author Topic: Thread summary  (Read 51469 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Lightspeed's Graphics and Shine Maps (image heavy)
Originally posted by J3Vr6
Besides the shinemaps, is HTL what makes those ships look so incredible?  My game doesn't look even remotely as nice as any of the ships Lightspeed has shown :(

no, ht&l makes it look worse, actually since we dont have ambient lighting yet.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline J3Vr6

So I guess it's my graphics chipset on my laptop that makes them look crummy :sigh:

Do you use the FS1 ship textures?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
yes, i use the large textures there are from FS1.

-although on most of these models not one of them is used

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Lightspeed
yes, i use the large textures there are from FS1.

Are they up for download somewhere? I just can't be bothered to reinstall the game :)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i know what would be cool.....

stick a beam cannon on every spinning thingie and then they join in a point in the middle of the cannon and a HUGE beam comes out of the middle thing :D
I hate My signature!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Actually, Ashrak, when I was redesigning the Mjolnir, I came up with a decent explanation as to why the whole thing is built the way it is. The inner grinder sets up a magnetic lens for bending the beam for small adjustments. On capships, this is handled by a spinning donut built into the hull, but the Mjolnir doesn't have the space for that. The outer grinder... well, I never came up with a good reason for that. ;) Counter rotation perhaps? ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by mikhael
Go look at the mesh in a 3d editor. Its utter garbage. I swear, some :V: crony had a spare ten minuts on his lunch break and threw something together. Then they realized they didn't have a model for the Mjolnir and took the first mesh that was offered up.

I'll remodel the Mjolnir cleanly if anyone wants it. If you'd like, I'll model it as a low poly version of my Mk2 model. Someone will have to texture and convert it though. It'd only take me like a couple hours to throw it together.

Since the Mjolnir RBC was added as a fan request on the VBB, (there was quite a demand for a beam cannon turret for nodes) it's not too far from the truth.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Actually, Ashrak, when I was redesigning the Mjolnir, I came up with a decent explanation as to why the whole thing is built the way it is. The inner grinder sets up a magnetic lens for bending the beam for small adjustments. On capships, this is handled by a spinning donut built into the hull, but the Mjolnir doesn't have the space for that. The outer grinder... well, I never came up with a good reason for that. ;) Counter rotation perhaps? ;)

i would have always thought they would have been used as heat sinks of some sort, at least the outer grinder would be.  your innder grider idea sounds reasonable
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
oh yeah! I did put thermal radiation fins along the backside of the outer grinder! I completely forgot. It wouldn't really need to spin though.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Mik, if you do make a low-poly version, take some isometric renders of the hi-poly one to use as base textures for the low-poly. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Fighter shinemaps (image heavy)
Since everyone wanted me to do fighters first....

... here they are:

With those shinemaps completed every fighter and bomber there is in FS2 will have appropriate shine maps. All that's left to do is some more c(r)apships ;)

Download the fighter shinemaps

Comments always welcome :)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Sandwich, you're insane. You realize how many different angles you'd have to get to get decent maps for the thing?

Besides, my high poly one isn't detailed enough to use as a base for textures of a low poly one.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Oh! I'd love to see your take on the FS1 ships, since I didn't like GE's version. :D
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Corhellion
SOMEONE PUT THIS IN THE HLP NEWS!!!

* points to "suggest as news post" option *

Do it yourself! :p

(really, you guys gotta start using it, we can't keep track of everything that happens on the forums)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I just tried, but after I hit send or whatever, I got a blank white screen.
Edit: Hm. I was logged out of the main page.

Edit 2:  And now it's telling me my password and stuff are wrong again. :wtf:  This is why I can't participate...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 08:11:07 pm by 273 »
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Oh! I'd love to see your take on the FS1 ships, since I didn't like GE's version. :D

I think my version would be pretty similar, but maybe i'll have a go at them later when i finished the FS2 stuff.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think the shivans would look a bit better if the shine map was a bit granier, like it was made of a composite crystal, and maybe just a very very slight bulish and purpleish glent to them, just MHO though, they do look very nice
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sandwich, you're insane. You realize how many different angles you'd have to get to get decent maps for the thing?

Besides, my high poly one isn't detailed enough to use as a base for textures of a low poly one.

I know I'm insane, what's your point? ;)

Seriously, though, it's not that bad. All you have to do is render a single "wing" at 90 degrees to get a base texture for the wings, a single side of the main part to get a texture for that, etc. Each time you turn off from rendering the parts that you're not interested in.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
the rings could be expiriemental gravito-magnetic engine technology holding it implace
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Sweet mother of mystery! :eek: Okay, you made good on my challenge. That is so highlight-worthy. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.