Author Topic: Thread summary  (Read 51474 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Lightspeed's Graphics and Shine Maps (image heavy)
It would be good to have scaling, but the problem is that if the flares get too big at full thrust, it's going to look a bit odd when the ship changes direction, partiucarly things like cruisers.

That said, these look awesome! :)

Flipside :D

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Bobboau
but it looks cool

The trouble is the effect looks like the engine is really pushing out thrust - trying to move the ship forward. It looks kinda silly in that position. Think of a car exhaust - the exhaust rises straight up and out when the car isn't moving. But when it is then the exhaust moves further back horizontally and out (if that makes sense... I guess you know what I'm trying to say).

If it could be worked so that at full thrust the existing effect is shown - but at idle it just simmers... similar to a gas cooking stove I suppose. It'd look far better (and illustrate the speed of the ship as well).

Offline Starks

The cmdline should be -32bit -t32

Right?
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Nice! :D
Once you've gotten these issues cleared up, I'll add them to the next media VP. :)
-C

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
My god, I think he did it... seems that "-32bit" enables 32bit mode. "-t32" tells it that there are 32bit textures being used and they shoudl be processed as such.

Now you see why I wanted readme documentation to become included with all SCP related files!

Thanks to all who helped. It looks great!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Yeah, I second all that.  The engines shouldn't look like they are pushing when they are resting at 0.

I also agree that they shouldn't look all the way off.  A faint glow at 0 throttle and full glow and trail at 100% throttle and scale in between.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
a few of my own.

;7
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Carl  

I dunno, Lightspeed, it looks like you just blurred everything.

Originally posted by Solatar

Yeah, that's exactly what it looks like, but the energy stuff looks marginally better (such bright stuff will probably be blurry anyway). Don't know about backgrounds though.:doubt: :)

Well have you ever been really close to an Orions' engines? You'll have pixles of the size 30x30 on your screen... lol
Basically most of the maps have been resized and smoothened so that even scaled, there wont be any visible pixles (well, maybe at 800-1000% zoom... :ick ).

As for the background nebulae. Also resized those, fixed the shape so it wont look weird and let the rest fade to black. If you look at the original and the edited version at the same size you shouldnt see any great difference. But if you scale it up to 300% for example, you'll see clear lines and shapes due to dithering in the old version, whereas actual scaling begins later in the new version (since its bigger) and it wont look crappy when scaled because the colour transistions are very soft.

I tried to keep stuff as original as possible, since this is supposed to be an improvement thingy, not a MOD. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
-32bit -t32

all this realy makes everything look a lot smoother
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Well how about this: when the ship is moving, the trails start to appear grows longer with speed (as it should be), but when the engines are "off" the trails are gone, while the glows remain (but dimly, maybe flickering).

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well here's your nebula pics... and might I say... damn.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Number 2...

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
And finally...

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
This doesn't work with the -htl tag, does it? I'm getting a lot of flickering with the effects if I add that.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the flickering issue has just recently been resolved internaly (like four hours ago)

are those nebula pics in NON-HT&L mode? becase in HT&L mode the background doesn't get drawn and the models don't get blended to it, and that's what I wanted to see and I can't see it in htose pics, though it could just be from the better background image
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

Wow, nice to see my feature making stuff look so nice.
The scp team are looking into speed issues at the moment so hopefully there will be some kind of gain to make up for this.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
(but dimly, maybe flickering).

I'm not to sure about flickering - to me that'd suggest that the engine was having a hard time staying "on" so to speak :)

The rest sounds good though!

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Bobboau

are those nebula pics in NON-HT&L mode? becase in HT&L mode the background doesn't get drawn and the models don't get blended to it, and that's what I wanted to see and I can't see it in htose pics, though it could just be from the better background image

Those nebula pics are in NON-HT&L mode. It's what you asked for ;) If you want me to try it in HT&L, just say the word :nod:

I'm not sure which approach worked but I placed the new textures in both the effects and the maps folder. I also used the command lines "-32bit" and "-t32" by creating a shortcut and adding them manually in the shortcut properties.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 03:18:50 pm by 561 »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
And flickering... well, think of people with epilepsy, man. :eek2: Maybe fluctuating gently. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
:lol: I like the way you say that!