Author Topic: I need big time help!  (Read 3830 times)

Hi, i need help to get the Babylon Project to work on my mac.
I have a Mac iBook. Software Verison is 10.4.6
I am thanking in advance for  anyone who helps in this matter
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
So... what is the problem exactly. :)

The problem is that i dont know how to do binaries stuff on a mac and i want to be able to play a game called the Babylon Project on my mac.
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

I was able to get the Babylon Project working by dropping a copy of FS2_3.6.9-rc7, which I got from here, into the folder with the Babylon Project files that I got from the TBP on Linux/MacOSX thread in the Babylon Project forum.

I didn't need to compile any binaries.

Bif

What do i do after i moved the files into the babylon project folder?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Never mind it works!!!!! YES!!!
U guys are the BEST!!!
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
You can also grab RC8 for OS X which fixes numerous OS X specific sound problems (and hopefully the crashes associated with OpenAL).

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Out of curiosity, is that a universal binary or PPC-compiled ? Do PPC builds work on Intel-Macs via Rosetta ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Out of curiosity, is that a universal binary or PPC-compiled ? Do PPC builds work on Intel-Macs via Rosetta ?
It's a universal binary.  I switched to UB not long after Intel Macs started coming out.  From what I understand though, via Intel Mac users, the previous PPC-only builds worked fine via Rosetta, but the UB builds perform much better.

You can also grab RC8 for OS X which fixes numerous OS X specific sound problems (and hopefully the crashes associated with OpenAL).

Thanks for taking the time to get us an updated RC Taylor. We appreciate the effort.

Bif

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Bumpage.

I just tried this build on an Intel MacBook. Works quite stable, only one random crash so far. Some slight annoyances are ..

1) The music sometimes stops playing mid-mission.

2) When playing a MVE movie, the last interface picture keeps flickering where the black bars are supposed to be. This really gives me headaches.

Oh, and can someone tell how I get OSX to recognise a USB joystick ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
1) The music sometimes stops playing mid-mission.
It's on my list of things to fix.  Basically the sound code is just crap, so I'm rewriting it.  That will all be for pre-3.7 builds though, since it will take me a few months to finally get all of that working.  For now it does't just out-right crash, and that is a very big improvement from previous OS X builds. :)

2) When playing a MVE movie, the last interface picture keeps flickering where the black bars are supposed to be. This really gives me headaches.
Should be fixed in newer builds.  I'll make sure that you get the newest build by tomorrow and you can verify that it's fixed or not.

Don't have a clue.  :)  It should just recognize it though, unless it isn't supported.  I know that various people have had issues getting joysticks to work in OS X, but since I don't use a joystick on my Mac, I don't really have any advice to offer.

Is it not recognizing your joystick at all or is just squirrelly as all heck? If it's the latter, some of us have found that running the joystick in circles in the pre-flght briefing of fs2open "calibrates" the joystick and makes it useable (twist your z axis as well if you have one).

On the other hand, if your joystick isn't being recognized at all, you might need something like Gamepad Companion.

You might also want to take a look at Joystick and Gamepad Tester to see if you joystick is being recognized or not. Not sure how well that works though. I haven't tried it myself yet. I found the link while I was looking up the one for Gamepad companion.

Bif

Back to FS after a long break. On a new compurter and was having problems with my CYBORG 3d, but it looks like GamePad Companion does the trick! Thanks for the tip.