Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239988 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It seems like there was some pretty major dramu overnight about Bukkit shutting down, and then Jeb saying that Mojang has owned the project for two years anyway, and Dinnerbone announcing that he'll be developing it for 1.8 himself, and then the guy formerly in charge of it agreeing with Jeb, and honestly I don't even know what else.  The end result seems to be much ado about nothing.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It seems like there was some pretty major dramu overnight about Bukkit shutting down, and then Jeb saying that Mojang has owned the project for two years anyway, and Dinnerbone announcing that he'll be developing it for 1.8 himself, and then the guy formerly in charge of it agreeing with Jeb, and honestly I don't even know what else.  The end result seems to be much ado about nothing.

Yup, pretty much. The question isn't about Bukkit anymore, it's about Spigot, Tekkit and Spout. Tekkit and Spout are both still on 1.6.4, but Spigot uses Bukkit's repo and just modifies it for performance and anti-cheat stuff.

Mojang says Bukkit won't be the official API, which makes sense, but I would like it if they would take the opportunity to do a serious engine overhaul. Not specifically related to how chunks are handled or anything, but I wish they would take a look at Bukkit/Spigot and Bungee and make use of how larger servers operate.

As it stands there is little to no reason for every world on a server to be one thread. Bungee's entire purpose is that it's a proxy to redirect player data to the server in question, but it can easily bridge the gap between servers. If Mojang were to add Multiverse-like world support (along with world clustering like Multiverse Portals and Invs), plus split each world into it's own thread, Minecraft could easily be far less performance intensive then it is now. It's much easier to go wider than taller as larger servers have figured out, so it would make sense.

Additionaly, if they could build per-world (and/or per cluster) permissions and plugins then entire servers could be run from one jar and still scale very well. If each world was in it's own thread this way, you could even shut down each world to change things and bring them back up one at a time. There's a number of things they could do... I just wish they would. But since these changes could have been done long ago (*Cough*The End*Cough*) I don't think they will.

And that's my little rant... TL;DR, I wish Mojang would use what Buklkit and it's brothers have done to seriously improve their server code, preferably before they release the API.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

I finally downloaded the new Minecraft launcher, after languishing on version 1.5.2 for....ummm....ever, and I very quickly noticed that it will download and launch any previous version of Minecraft, all the way back to some of the very early InfDev versions.  Naturally, the first thing I had to do was get Alpha 1.1.2_01 and load up the oldest world that I had a backed up.

Apparently, when I built the academy, I had only just begun to figure out the merits of mining in a grid pattern, and while I found where I had started a grid mine, the rest of it was just excessively wide tunnels linking cavern systems.  It was a mess, and having not been down there in nearly four years(!), I got thoroughly lost.  Apparently, before I had moved on to a new map, I had gotten lost in exactly the same way, because around the time I was ready to start digging upward, I found a crude, upward stairwell that I had already dug to the surface.

I guess I should probably try the current version now....

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Vertgaming's been down for a while. Any idea what's up with that?
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Vertgaming's been down for a while. Any idea what's up with that?

Seconded and bumped. I hope it gets resolved soon!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Right, sorry about that.

The Vert server also hosted a bunch of Source servers (Gmod, etc). Recently, Valve decided that for some reason, Source should now use "Ubuntu Stable" packages instead of "Debian Stable" ones. We run Debian. During the update process, java got nuked. Not a big deal on linux, the servers would continue to run until shut down.

Nothing was lost, don't worry. The servers were shut down safely by hand. Backups were made and downloaded to 3 locations outside of the server itself; My computer, Jach's computer, and another server in the datacenter. Even the SQL was backed up.

Rather than trying to rollback everything in Debian (pretty much every package, ew...), we decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the hardware. We're moving from an E3-1270, 32GB DC 1600, 2x2TB HDDs RAID0 to a new box in the same datacenter with an E5-1620v2, 64GB QC 1600, RAID1 256GB SSDs and RAID1 1TB HDDs, which will run only minecraft.

TL;DR, sorry about the downtime. We expect to have the new server on September 1st, and I'll work as quickly as I can to get it online same day. IP will not change.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:31:09 pm by KyadCK »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
(Update snip)
Baller. Thanks for the update!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Discovered something interesting recently about the block-breaking mechanics. Apparently if you start breaking a block, move your reticle off that block without moving it onto another block and without releasing the mouse button, and then move it back on, it resumes the breaking process where it left off. So if there's a block above you that's one block out of reach, you can still break it if you jump repeatedly... albeit at extra reduced speed, because not only is a fraction of the time lost when you're out of range, but you also get the penalty for not being on the ground when you are hitting it (same as when on a ladder).

Server still doesn't seem to be working. I wonder if that new sudden update has anything to do with it or if there's been any other things causing delays. Either way I hope to see an update on the situation.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
What? No "update" can touch anything on an older version. We run Bungee and Spigot 1.7.10, I give about zero ****s what Mojang and Bukkit are doing or any drama involved with it.

http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot/

I'll get around to 1.8 when I'm sure my plugins will work. In the mean time, you should all be deciding how you want to handle this new version. There is a lot added since the last time the world was rendered out. My current stance is I am going to make another world and just use VT's GUI system to let you jump between worlds. If you'd like other options, suggest them.

Server is still being worked on. This is literally a 100% fresh-from-the-store server, it didn't even have an OS on it when we got it on monday. I'm just as eager to have it running as you guys are, I have my "Extreme Hard Mode" server to put through the paces.

What? No "update" can touch anything on an older version. We run Bungee and Spigot 1.7.10, I give about zero ****s what Mojang and Bukkit are doing or any drama involved with it.

I'll get around to 1.8 when I'm sure my plugins will work. In the mean time, you should all be deciding how you want to handle this new version. There is a lot added since the last time the world was rendered out. My current stance is I am going to make another world and just use VT's GUI system to let you jump between worlds. If you'd like other options, suggest them.

Server is still being worked on. This is literally a 100% fresh-from-the-store server, it didn't even have an OS on it when we got it on monday. I'm just as eager to have it running as you guys are, I have my "Extreme Hard Mode" server to put through the paces.

Thanks for the update, Kyad. I'm sorry if I came across as impatient or rude - Text has limitations and my own mood has been a little down for the past days, which is why I need my Minecraft fix. ;)

As for deciding how we want to handle this new version, if jumping between worlds works well, I don't mind that at all. I'm curious if there are other methods that are realistic but even better.

Either way it's nice to hear you going in detail about the developments, as well. It's very interesting and I appreciate it myself, helps learn and understand at least a little bit what's been going on and what keeps you busy.

-----------------

- George Orwell

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Thanks for the update, Kyad. I'm sorry if I came across as impatient or rude - Text has limitations and my own mood has been a little down for the past days, which is why I need my Minecraft fix. ;)

As for deciding how we want to handle this new version, if jumping between worlds works well, I don't mind that at all. I'm curious if there are other methods that are realistic but even better.

Either way it's nice to hear you going in detail about the developments, as well. It's very interesting and I appreciate it myself, helps learn and understand at least a little bit what's been going on and what keeps you busy.

There is one plugin that was made (and abandoned) about 2 years ago, that allowed people to make a netherportal out of a different material, "light" it with water. Different material portals went to different worlds. I wanted this extremely badly, because as far as I am aware, no other plugins could do that level of proper immersion. I could make a gate at spawn. I could allow you to make gates that would allow you to enter this new world, but only for one destination. Everything else breaks gameplay, requires commands to be run.

I -MAY- be able to create some kind of gate system with VT... Maybe if I can set tight enough restrictions... But that kind of auto-associative portal control only currently works for the nether.

I -CAN- disperse "nodes" throughout the world, in which you sacrifice a block to be teleported to another world at the same cords... Maybe Cobble brings you back to the main world while Gold sends you to 1.8. This would be more futureproof, as I would be free to continue adding worlds and simply giving them a "address block". Yes the block in question would be destroyed. I would probably make different homes per world, even if I had to re-do /home in VT myself.

Other alternatives include my just setting Nether portals on a loop... OldWorld -> Nether -> NewWorld -> OldWorld. Easy peasy, but stupid.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Turns out we need more SSDs... Oops.

But, you guys have been patient and I said I'd try to have it up 3 days ago, so we're going to run the Survival server solo in the mean time. It should be up later today.

TempIP when it goes up: 192.99.149.131:25570
EDIT: It's up.

It'll go down when we get more drives, when it comes back up after that it should be VertGaming.com again. When that happens we should have the full hub and everything else.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:44:04 pm by KyadCK »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Turns out we need more SSDs... Oops.

But, you guys have been patient and I said I'd try to have it up 3 days ago, so we're going to run the Survival server solo in the mean time. It should be up later today.

TempIP when it goes up: 192.99.149.131:25570
EDIT: It's up.

It'll go down when we get more drives, when it comes back up after that it should be VertGaming.com again. When that happens we should have the full hub and everything else.
Awesome! You are a golden god, Kyad.  :D

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Server is back up with the proxy and everything. Now we even have a backup lobby so you guys can still join while we work on the main one.

VertGaming.com:25565

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
While we're at it, new server type added, "Ultra Hard". You can access it from the Hub.

Originally it was going to be a server for myself and a few others, but there's no reason I can't open it up. All mods are server-side only, so don't worry about changing anything on your end if you want to play.

Ultra Hardcore is simply too easy once you get your hands on some healing potions. After effectively beating the game, some friends tasked me with making Minecraft harder. Boosting mob HP and Damage only goes so far and doesn't really add much to the game. "Ultra Hard" is a semi-custom version of survival that greatly increases the difficulty over stock minecraft. Mining, physics, even weather has been changed. It's better if you go in blind, but be warned that you will likely die quite a bit, so set a bed.

Feel free to report bugs, but the gameplay changes should for the most part be intentional.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
So.... I'm not entirely sure how the warping thing works, but could I get a warp location setup on behalf of some of my friends?

Most relevant IGN is Hurricane_Eyek.

As for warp material.... [Edit] Smooth Sandstone.

(-877,104,1313)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:32:00 pm by IronBeer »

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Done.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Done.
Thanks, Kyad. I now see how the warping system works, and it's awesome! Great work.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Anybody else notice some strange goings on in the server? I just got booted out of there twice in a row.

Saw somebody named SmoothShaftxD on my last trip in.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.