Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239585 times)

If we were to find one, should we evict the witch?

Feel free to evict her and light up the hut, but whatever you do, DON'T MODIFY THE HUT. I'd like to build a witch farm, and to do that I'll need to know what the original hut's position and dimensions are.

So by "light up the hut" you don't mean set fire to it? :)

PS - No I don't know where there's a hut.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:25:54 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So by "light up the hut" you don't mean set fire to it? :)

Yeahno. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of witches and such, from reading the 1.6.4 patch notes, apparently there was something going on with one of the previous 1.7 weekly snapshot builds where game-generated structures (Nether fortresses, Witch huts, etc.) from earlier maps weren't properly generating the natural spawns that they should.  At least in the case of Nether Fortresses, it was because the generation code changed in order to accommodate random chest spawns, so the fortress layout (and thus its spawn boundaries) changed; if you deleted the chunk and re-loaded it in a newer version, the generated fortress would look somewhat different.  The only things that seem to be an actual concern are the Witch huts and Nether fortresses, since those are the only two structures that generate special mobs based on location as opposed to spawners; I've yet to see info either way about whether it affects Eyes of Ender pointing towards undiscovered Strongholds.  The best info I've seen about all of this comes from this thread.

Anyways, to make sure things still work right in 1.7, what you apparently have to do now is load up your world and physically travel to the chunks in question in order to load them into memory; this writes the spawn data into the save files and gets everything squared away.  It'd probably be a good idea to hunt down any other Strongholds too, just in case.  As far as the server goes, I don't think anyone's done much of anything with the Nether, but if you have, make sure to head there and visit your local fortress of choice too.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Seems like every time I log on to the server, it dies. :( Is that possible?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just got kicked again. V3exex, did you?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Confirmed.

Server seems to be down
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Seems to go up and down a lot then, since it came back up about half an hour after I posted.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I have literaly no idea what you guys are doing since not only won't the server crash for me, but it's running as pristine as can be at only 700MB used, 20TPS solid, and no other server is having issues either. Nothing at all in the error logs.

And most importantly, the servers do not self-reset, and it's still up. So it never went down in the first place. At minimum get the terminology right, it makes debug a lot easier. "Down" means "not operational". "Can't log in" and "got disconnected" do not equal "down".

Also, the server is based in LA on the west coast. I know Sandwich is literally across the world from this thing and had some issues on one of the older servers before, and most of HLP is from Europe. Keep that in mind.

EDIT: We've been over this one-a-day 30-min downtime before, and it was explained in detail. Please don't report that, there is literaly nothing I can do about that one. Also make sure it's not Mojang's Auth servers, they've been stupid lately.

You can test if it's the one-a-day by joining MC.OCNGaming.net (it's just a hub world) since it's on the same server. Failure to join that as well means it's either the internet in general or the stupid ass backup I never wanted.

Testing the Auth servers should be obvious, join a non-OCN-hosted server a few times.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:01:57 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'll see what I can do to help troubleshoot the issues we're encountering. As for being more precise, here's what's happening to me at least:

- Server's chugging along
- Suddenly the client stops getting updates from the server - villagers no longer go "Herm!", cow's don't splish-splash in their watery cell, and inventory blocks don't react when clicked on.
- Within a dozen seconds or so, I get a disconnection message of some sort. I'll paste the exact error next time it happens.
- At this point, refreshing the server list shows the server as down or not responsive (from Minecraft's POV it's down), and refreshing the dynmap results in an endlessly loading blank white page - no typical error 404s or anything.

This is essentially identical to what I see happen at the 4:304:20am PST maintenance window (which I've noticed is usually more like 4:20 FWIW). Usually the server returns to operational status within 5-10 minutes or so.

Not sure if it helps, but there's also been a rash of entity (?) duplication, which I think corresponds to each server "crash" (or whatever you want to call it). I have a bunch of villagers in minecarts, and I've found them duplicated numerous times - and no, it's not from breeding. The duplicates are the same profession and have the exact same trades unlocked as the originals. Also, someone reported finding duplicate animals in his house the other day, so it's not just moi. ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:44:17 pm by Sandwich »

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll see what I can do to help troubleshoot the issues we're encountering. As for being more precise, here's what's happening to me at least:

- Server's chugging along
- Suddenly the client stops getting updates from the server - villagers no longer go "Herm!", cow's don't splish-splash in their watery cell, and inventory blocks don't react when clicked on.
- Within a dozen seconds or so, I get a disconnection message of some sort. I'll paste the exact error next time it happens.
- At this point, refreshing the server list shows the server as down or not responsive (from Minecraft's POV it's down), and refreshing the dynmap results in an endlessly loading blank white page - no typical error 404s or anything.

This is essentially identical to what I see happen at the 4:304:20am PST maintenance window (which I've noticed is usually more like 4:20 FWIW). Usually the server returns to operational status within 5-10 minutes or so.

Not sure if it helps, but there's also been a rash of entity (?) duplication, which I think corresponds to each server "crash" (or whatever you want to call it). I have a bunch of villagers in minecarts, and I've found them duplicated numerous times - and no, it's not from breeding. The duplicates are the same profession and have the exact same trades unlocked as the originals. Also, someone reported finding duplicate animals in his house the other day, so it's not just moi. ;)

And every single nightly since the 1.6.4-R0.1 has made no changes. Fuuuun.

If that's what's causing the timeouts (probably some form of thread error), then it's all in Bukkitdev's hands. That probably rates a 6/10 on by "weird bugs" meter too.

Now you guys get to play the most funnest of server adminning games with me, which is called "spot the fix", which basicly involves checking craftbukkit every day and hoping they fixed the bug that is annoying you. The more challanging version of this game is "Find the Beta", which is the same, but you're looking for beta builds.

If you're feeling extra special, you can even play "Oh my god there's a Recommended" which you can probably guess.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:01:06 pm by KyadCK »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I was the person who had a bunch of animals get cloned (or else get really busy on their own time).  From what I can tell, my sheep, cows, and cats all doubled, and somehow my mooshrooms managed to triple.  The really bizarre part is that I also had a dog, chickens, and pigs in the same few chunks that were completely unaffected.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...and now just my cats have gone back to their previous number.  I have no idea. :lol:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I see the server now again.
But can't connect.
Not whitelisted...again
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Not whitelisted...again
I'm no longer whitelisted either. Very odd.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I see the server now again.
But can't connect.
Not whitelisted...again

Yes... This one I partly blame myself for.

Apparently early in the day one of the MC servers were having issues. So one of the moderators, who has my phone number, decided to ask the owner (who has no idea what goes on and just pays the bills) to have the datacenter people restart the server instead of telling myself or the other admin...

They restarted the whole server.

All of our servers have whitelist on by default as a security setting. While I was told later, and promptly let said moderator have it because involving people that don't understand is the dumbest thing you can do, I kinda forgot to turn off the whitelist on the HLP server.

Also, I don't know if anyone but IronBeer knows this, but I'm almost always on IRC in #hard-light and frankly a PM that way is going to get my attention much faster since I only really check here once every day or two. Sandwich technically has the ability to turn it off too, but I don't think he ever bothered to learn bukkit commands, and since he can bypass the whitelist may not know something is wrong.

Whitelist is off now.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Whitelist is off now.
Ok, thanks a bunch.

I've decided to abandon the #hard-light IRC channel for the time being, but I suppose I can pop in to alert you to urgent server issues.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Whitelist is off now.

It seems to still be in place... 12:00 PST

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
MC Auth and Login servers are having issues at the moment, please don't post problems about this.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
And use something like Magic Launcher or http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/ to keep track of any problems with Minecraft services.

It would appear I cannot log in to the server. It says the following:

Disconnected by server
You are not white-listed on this server!

Which is strange considering Kyad mentioned he turned the white-list off.

Aside from that I have been noticing the server lags a lot for me, not in the least because the server appears to be literally on the other side of the world for me but it used to run better than it has run the last times I logged in, causing timeouts followed by being buried underground when I relog.

Let's hope these issues can be resolved soon.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell