Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239641 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
JCDN- take a page from Dwarf Fortress and Pour Magma On ItTM.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
EDIT: Once the server gets upgraded to 1.7.x, I plan on utilizing the new flexible sizing of Nether portals to build a public gold farm in the server's spawn chunks. That should mean it will run whenever a player is anywhere in the overworld, which should result in good amounts over time.

EDIT 2: I just outlined the 12x12 spawn chunks for our map. There's a glass border running around the perimeter, with a single bedrock block in each of the corners, at an altitude of y=100. I suggest any fully-automated farms in that area be geared to handle overflow. :)

How does this work exactly?
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hmm..didnt' know that zombies don't de-spawn if they are holding something.

Time to clean house..apparently.

I haven't been on for a while. Last time I tried I couldn't connect because I updated MC.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Trashman, it should be easy to switch between versions now in the launcher at the bottom-left at Edit Profile. At Use Version the drop-down box should have the older versions listed and able to be picked.

The server's still down, End of Stream. Hope it can get looked at.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How does this work exactly?

The technicalities are beyond me; I only know enough to exploit it. Apparently any time someone is logged in and is in the overworld (I.e. not Nether or End), a 12x12 area of chunks (each being 16x16m of course) is kept loaded in the server's memory. In that area, Redstone continues to run, item despawn timers keep ticking down, farms continue to grow, etc. Mob farms are more problematic, since mobs don't spawn beyond a certain distance from a player, and almost instantaneously despawn beyond an even shorter distance. Hmm... that means a gold farm there based on zombie pigmen wouldn't work after all. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:58:56 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Here's where I got most of my info on spawn chunks:

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
1.8 snapshots just started coming out, and they include slime blocks.  Which you can bounce on.  Do waaaaant.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
EDIT 2: I just outlined the 12x12 spawn chunks for our map. There's a glass border running around the perimeter, with a single bedrock block in each of the corners, at an altitude of y=100. I suggest any fully-automated farms in that area be geared to handle overflow. :)

Ya no, they'll just be destroyed. Repeatedly, and daily. By me.

You are either attending it, or it does not exist. End of story.

Besides that you assume vanilla. The server is not vanilla, it is bukkit, and we use Multiverse on top of that which is a seperate world handler with different chunk rules.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Besides that you assume vanilla. The server is not vanilla, it is bukkit, and we use Multiverse on top of that which is a seperate world handler with different chunk rules.

Ah, hadn't even occurred to me that Bukkit would be different in that regard.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Ah, hadn't even occurred to me that Bukkit would be different in that regard.

Bukkit itself isn't, but Multiverse is a world handler that allow minecraft to have infinate worlds as long as you provide some way to get to them.

It allso allows you to control many things world related, including keeping the spawn chunks loaded or not.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ah, gotcha.

I think another reason I haven't been playing is that it's almost impossible to get all my mods lined up and working at the same time.
I just want optifine and rei's minimap, but they're both slow to update, and I don't even know how to use optifine now that it's not a simple .7z file. And I don't think Rei has updated officially since 1.6.4 and I have some waypoints saved and I don't want to lose them.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ah, gotcha.

Also I hope you realize that by making that glass pillar you basicly condemned everyone who hasn't slept in a bed to eternal entrapment on your platform.

I fixed it.

I think another reason I haven't been playing is that it's almost impossible to get all my mods lined up and working at the same time.
I just want optifine and rei's minimap, but they're both slow to update, and I don't even know how to use optifine now that it's not a simple .7z file. And I don't think Rei has updated officially since 1.6.4 and I have some waypoints saved and I don't want to lose them.

When Optifine fixes compatability it can just be done through Forge Loader.

Basicly you just download the Forge and LiteMod installers, run Forge, modify the thing, run Lite, check "with forge", and then all the mods just go in the mods folder.

I've got TabbyChat, Macro/keybind, WE-CUI, Optifine and a few others loaded that way.

What are the more interesting mods or modpacks to use?

I've been watching yogscast vids of them playing yogcraft or tekkirt or the moon-based one or whatever and that got me a little interested in some of this stuff but when I checked it out online the amount of mods and so forth seemed pretty confusing.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Also I hope you realize that by making that glass pillar you basicly condemned everyone who hasn't slept in a bed to eternal entrapment on your platform.

I fixed it.

Really? It's a spawn point, not a 20x20 spawn area?

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

I fixed it.

Really? It's a spawn point, not a 20x20 spawn area?

Yup.

The radius around the point is anti-interaction protection, not a spawn field. MC uses exact cords for spawning, and won't put people inside blocks.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The radius around the point is anti-interaction protection, not a spawn field. MC uses exact cords for spawning, and won't put people inside blocks.

Not vanilla MC from my understanding... that video I posted up above shows that anywhere in the 20x20 area is valid for respawning...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Not vanilla MC from my understanding... that video I posted up above shows that anywhere in the 20x20 area is valid for respawning...
If that's true, it's changed very recently; it was exceedingly common to set up traps that relied on knowing the exact block new players would spawn.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

And is completely invalid for the server, as well as just about every server larger than "basement server" status.

The server is not vanilla. As a result, get the concept of anything vanilla out of your mind before applying it to the server. You can do /pl to see the plugins in use, and we're based on bukkit.

If that's true, it's changed very recently; it was exceedingly common to set up traps that relied on knowing the exact block new players would spawn.

Not that it mattered if you left spawn protection on (which is default) or used a proper guarding tool for spawn, as is the case in most places.

Bigger concern was unjumpable trenches around said protection.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Somehow my account on playmindcrack.com got banned, reason "Badfellowship" :( I just spent the past 1h20 writing an appeal letter.

My best guess is someone complained about me raging too much in the chat, but if that's it then they should've complained to me first :(

Edit: this thread isn't strictly limited to discussion of qazwsx's server, right?