Author Topic: Can FS2SCP be ported to the 360? PS3?  (Read 10875 times)

Offline neoterran

Re: Can FS2SCP be ported to the 360? PS3?
come over to pc gaming anyway. we have better controllers and we have better graphics :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline CaptJosh

Yeah, now. Time was when that wasn't so. Ever see the difference between the Sega Genesis version of Starflight and the DOS version? It's just plain scary.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Give a good reason next time.
we'd have lawyers all over our ass

No. That's a bad reason. You don't go into any depth, you just try to scare people away from further discussion. This is a good reason:

Q: How much does XNA Game Studio Express cost? Is there a difference between Windows and Xbox 360 development?
A: Visual C# Express, the XNA Game Studio Express tools and runtime environment for Windows are all FREE. To develop, debug and/or play games on the Xbox 360, however, you must have an XNA Creators Club subscription purchased directly from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Two subscription options are available: $99 per year or $49 per four months.

Q: Do I need a hard drive to run XNA-based games on my Xbox 360 console?
A: Yes. The XNA Framework runtime environment for Xbox 360 requires that a physical hard drive be present on your Xbox 360 retail console.

Q: How can I share my Xbox 360 game built with XNA Game Studio Express with other Xbox 360 users?
A: To share your Xbox 360 game with friends, four requirements must be met:

* The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
    * The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
    * The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
    * The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

So, if someone wants to provide the appropriate Xbox 360 to one or more SCP developers, pay the fee so that we can actually port the game, and work out a distribution agreement with :v: so that the game data can legally be distributed over Xbox Live, then we might think about porting it.  And I say "might" because the audio, input, event and graphics subsystems will likely have to be rewritten in order for the game to work on the Xbox, and I highly doubt that any current dev will be willing to spend that much time and effort on something that will net them absolutely no $$$.

He goes into depth, he provides directly quoted and properly sourced evidence, and he actually considers what might be required to port FS2 to a console.

See the difference?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you want to fly with the men, you must give your toys away. if those thumb jockeys want to play freespace, tell em to get a pc :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline neoterran

Yeah, now. Time was when that wasn't so. Ever see the difference between the Sega Genesis version of Starflight and the DOS version? It's just plain scary.

The Sega Genesis version came out like 6 years later tho. Not a fair comparison.
Chief Grognard.

Offline neoterran

See the difference?

Okay Turey, you win. I'm not taylor, i apologize. He's pretty much irreplacable anyway.

I should remind you that you also posted in the thread and provided nothing but criticism.

Now go run off and work on your installer :D
Chief Grognard.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Well, women would pour out of the sky and into your laps, even more so than they do already :)
If by "women" you mean nerdy 13-year-old fanboys who can't wait for the next BSG episode, no thanks. ;)
Can't fault someone for liking BSG.
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Just to take a wild guess, the way I would see it happening is if somebody(ies) ported Linux, OpenGL, OpenAL, and SDL over to the Xbox360. That would - AFAIK - give enough of a lowlevel base for fs2_open to function, and you could use the linux parts of the code for fs2_open as a base.

Taylor would know better than I though. But I think it's far more likely to happen the above way, than somebody sitting down to recode FS2Open for the 360 and meet all the conditions that taylor posted above.
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I'm pretty sure that OpenGL already exists on the 360 (though I don't know if that's for real license holders or hobbyists as well) and I think that SDL has already been ported as well.  I'm not sure how complete the SDL port is however.  Even so we would still have to deal with the filesystem, OpenAL, plus porting the FS source and support libs (Ogg, Vorbis, Theora, Lua, libjpeg) to C#.  We couldn't distribute the game except through Xbox Live, and every single user that wanted to play it would have to pony up the $99 for the XNA Creators Club subscription and still have to compile the source themselves in order to get a working game.

Sorry people, but it just ain't gonna happen.  It might happen if someone forks over the cash (mid 4 figures at the very least) for one of us to do it.  And even then it would likely take months just to get it in a state that you could get it to reliably crash in a debugger.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
if you want to fly with the men, you must give your toys away. if those thumb jockeys want to play freespace, tell em to get a pc :D
Besides, you can use your game controller on your PC anyways...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
why? i admit the ps2 controller was the best gamepad ever made, but it was still a game pad. i wouldnt be caught dead with one.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, why would anyone want to use a console at all?  I'm assuming they somehow fell in love with the controllers... as a PC can beat the specs on any console except the PS3 and XBOX360.  So, the only thing left is
a) exclusive games
and
b) the controller
and
c) the ability to multiplay 4 ppl on one box

Offline miskat

Why would someone like a console?  Well... on a properly made console you have two things going for you:

1.) Smooth framerate.  It stands to reason that 90% of games--certainly well made ones--are made FOR that console and will run smoothly.

2.) They don't crash.  Or they shouldn't, rather.  Unfortunately, they sometimes do.

*shrugs*

Meh.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Why would someone like a console?  Well... on a properly made console you have two things going for you:

1.) Smooth framerate.  It stands to reason that 90% of games--certainly well made ones--are made FOR that console and will run smoothly.

2.) They don't crash.  Or they shouldn't, rather.  Unfortunately, they sometimes do.

*shrugs*

Meh.
1.) Configure your computer properly

2.) See above

:lol: :p

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
plus porting the FS source and support libs (Ogg, Vorbis, Theora, Lua, libjpeg) to C#. 

Ok good luck with that.  ;)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Porting to the 360 and ps3 would fun, in fact i'd be a 360 because of it. Besides this notion. I've got absolutely no problem playing with a ps2 like pad on fs2. I use a logitech rumblepad wireless, and it works for absolutely everything, except power management of my fighter, and ordering my wingmates around. I finally figured out the magical gamepad configuration for fs2. Like i said, all i'm missing is ordering fighters around and my fighter power management. But when **** really gets down to it and you're playing medium difficulty or easy, you don't really have to manage power on your fighter at all, not even really in situations when you're running away. that said not being able to order my fighters around is a big loss, but really you're not losing much of an aspect of the game by ordering people around if you're on easy or medium. I was able to beat the fsport just fine as a double ace without ordering anyone around (of course you're mission scores suffer, but i beat the game without ordering anyone). Anyway, i was playing on easy so i could get use to joysticks again, and found myself able to aim again and double ace (on easy...i'm doing fs2 on standard medium with the gamepad now).  Anyway for me i think i'll make use of a voice recognition build.
Hmm, but yes, if you don't feel like ordering wingmen around or managing your energy, then i have the magical control config that does everything.
Considering this, you could play fs2 on 360 if you wanted with a gamepad, but it would probably have to be supplemented with a voice recog. build so you could at least use the 360 headset to order people around and get rearmed...and to maybe do your energy, but yeah, doing energy isn't actually a necessary thing to do to beat the game on easy or medium, maybe even hard, idk.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
... You'd just have to configure one button to open the <C> dialog, and then allow the stick or arrow keys on the gamepad to scroll up/down and have left/right be forward/back through the dialog and the fire button to select... eg <C> - All fighters {oops} *left arrow goes back to <C> menu* - Wings - Alpha - Cover me - *fire*
Alpha 2: "I'm on it!"
What do you think?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
That sounds great and would make playing the game with a gamepad easier. In the meantime the dpad is set up for bomb targeting, target next, target next subsystem, and target next turret. This can easily keep the same configuration though as pushing the whatever button woiuld then turn the dpad into the command navigator/initiator. Modifying my fighters energy really doesn't matter so much, you can easily play the whole game and not need to modify it:p
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:43:26 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
To modify the energy settings, make it a combo key that activates energy management.  Then use left/right to select the energy system needing adjusting, up/down to change it, fire button to accept.  It'd be tricky, and prolly impossible during combat, but for the situations where you know you're going to need alot of engines, or for a bombing run against flak guns, you could divert extra power to the engines, or shields, respectively.  You'd also need a combo key to reset the energy to default. 

Comment?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Oh man, i know how i can get away with this. It's just that the logitech programming software sucks a tons of dick while licking your balls-->it ****s with your games and created some problems for me, but if i wanted to do that, i could. That'd let me map the afterburners to holding down on the secondary joystick (you can roll your fighter while holding burners, it's quite nice). I don't do this anymore because of logitech program software suckiness. I miss xbcd, i tried for ****s and giggles with xbcd to see if it would let me select my logitech pad in there, and it doesn't. Logitech software blows, but then they're hardware is pretty sturdy and reliable, good thing windows is an alternative for plug and play with gamepads and fs2 to do basic programming. Unfortunately saitek doesn't make a good wireless gamepad, and about the only good programming software released by a vendor that was awesome was the gravis stuff, and that didn't require to be run as an active program to take advantage of the programming your pad while your game is on.

But, anyway, all of this dual function stuff can be taken care of with the logitech gamepad profiler if you have a logitech pad, and the same thing if you have a saitek with the saitek profiler.
I am not a fan of programming software for joysticks and gamepads these days. xbcd was awesome for the 360 controller, it let you switch around axes and stuff and oh god that was handy, also xbcd did not require to be run as an active program for modifying the ****ing features of the controller. After that gravis software as overly unnecessarily pretty it was very handy and didn't cause problems, and also didn't need the program to sit in memory while you play your game with the new mappings you have. I just really don't like **** that has to sit in memory when it doesn't have to. The last time i had logitech profiler installed fs2 thought i had the saitek p990 as the default controller when in fact it was letting me use the logitech wireless. Then i went back into fso launcher and selected logitech, and then the logitech wouldn't work unless i had saitek p990 selected. I hate stupid profilers :lol:

SMBFD