Author Topic: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project  (Read 23265 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project
Suddenly, the retail Collie looks really, really, really good.

No it doesn't! :P

Also...WOW!
el hombre vicio...

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
eyesex
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
again, all this stuff is outstanding...can't wait to see them in game.

also,do you think next time we'll see a FS2 mission with shadows?
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Is it only self-shadowing so far, or do ships also cast shadows on others?

Regardless of the answer, truly awesome work :yes:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Valathil.

You're doing it wrooooooooong.

If you want to show shadows on rotating subsystems, there's only one truly worthy candidate, and you know it.

Optirayana !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Darius

Previously I was joking about the engine looking like this in the future but it's becoming a lot closer than I imagined.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Laphit?, nice sliding effects.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
This is gorgeous :yes:

How does the performance scale with the polycount of the model?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
DAT ASS SHADOW
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Is it only self-shadowing so far, or do ships also cast shadows on others?

I could be wrong here, but I think the current implementation is just the self shadowing at the moment as that (seems) to be the easiest to manage at the moment.

I forget if multi-light source handling has been mentioned or not, but I suspect that will add some complexity to it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
IIRC shadows from point lights were mentioned.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Just... a random question here.

Is it possible to make alpha blended particles cast shadows? :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Is it possible to make alpha blended particles cast shadows? :nervous:

Don't think so... this implementation works on a polygon basis.
But particles are rendered on a square, so you'd probably end up with the shadow of that square instead of the per-pixel alpha blended shadow you're thinking of. Would be cool though...
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, there's no lighting applied to particles. You'd end up with a glowing thing casting shadow.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Note, there's no lighting applied to particles. You'd end up with a glowing thing casting shadow.

Not applied TO the particles, but shadows don't require that. Of course glowing particles done with additive blending wouldn't cast shadows, which is why I specified alpha-blended particles - such as smoke trails, flak puffs etc.

If there's the particle's plane, it can cast a projection. And if the particle's texture has alpha, it should be possible to also project said alpha channel so that it's aligned with the shadow, yes?

If so, then it would be just a matter of computing power to multiply the projected rectangular shadows by the alpha channel, resulting in a shadow that in shape corresponds to the particle's opaque parts. If you want to get fancy you could also convolute the final shadow shape to blur the edges, but that's even further addition to computational requirements.

The biggest problem I see here is that there are ****-tons of particles to be handled so it could pose a huge problem performance-wise. Still, it would be rather righteous to see a fighter spewing dark smoke skim on the surface of a destroyer and have the smoketrail cast a shadow... or to see the bombs or missiles impact a ship with their smoke trails casting shadows to the ship's surface. :D

But, I'm getting ahead of things, as the system currently only seems to support self-shading. Casting shadows on other objects needs to be done first, and obviously getting things to work for 3D objects is of supreme priority compared to particle shadows.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IRL, smoke doesn't cast too much shadow, unless it's really thick (which would require so many particles that them alone would murder the framerate).
Also, particles are always facing the player, so it may not be so easy to project the them onto a ship's surface as a shadow.
Honestly, even ArmA II doesn't seem to simulate smoke shadows (or maybe the effect is too subtle for me to notice). Maybe in a few years, but today, it might be too performance intensive.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i think having shadows in ships and installations is enough for a lot of years... i think the main issue is the performance hit,and one day,freespace 2 will face the need to have  multi cpu support... this will be the king of improvements :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
IRL, smoke doesn't cast too much shadow, unless it's really thick (which would require so many particles that them alone would murder the framerate).
Also, particles are always facing the player, so it may not be so easy to project the them onto a ship's surface as a shadow.
Honestly, even ArmA II doesn't seem to simulate smoke shadows (or maybe the effect is too subtle for me to notice). Maybe in a few years, but today, it might be too performance intensive.

Smoke casts shadows just like clouds.

Which is another aspect of why I suggested this - when we get properly done clouds working, it would be nice for them to cast shadows...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Valathil is giving us an awesome feature as it is... and it's still very early from what I understand. Let's not go and ask him to shoot for the moon all of a sudden.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Valathil is giving us an awesome feature as it is... and it's still very early from what I understand. Let's not go and ask him to shoot for the moon all of a sudden.

That is true, which is why mine was more of a random question rather than a feature request.

My hunch says the number of shadows would become too high with particle shadows anyway for current hardware, but it's just an assumption and I'd love to know if there's any chance to get such a feature working, someday.