Author Topic: Question about Subspace  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Abyss

Question about Subspace
Is it possible to have something warp into another ship using subspace. For example, could you take a Meson Bomb, give it a subspace drive, and have it jump into another ship and then explode?

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Re: Question about Subspace
Well, I guess if you time it right and use way-points then you could do it. Would be fiddly though. And the Meson bomb has a really long self-destruct time, which would make it look a bit odd, although the huge blast radius should mean that is not a problem
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In the engine? No Idea, btu I don't think so.

In the universe? Again, we don't have canon info to give a definite answer, but for all we know, it doesn't seem to be a viable tactic in FS (If it was, it would have been used).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
The Answer is PLOT

There is no precident for it in the games but it could be possible.

The rules for subspace tend vary according to the needs of the story each FREDer is trying to tell
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Qent

Possible in canon, or possible in FRED? It's not in canon, so I'd say it's either impossible or very difficult, since it sounds like something that would have been tried. It is canon that ships have trouble jumping in near portals and nodes, so you might want to assume that something similar goes for large chunks of solid mass. I remember ST:R did something like this, though.

Offline Abyss

I was thinking in canon

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Not possible in :v:-canon. sorry.

e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
What would happen then if two ships or objects jumped into each other.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No. Canon. Answer. Exists.

But based on what we have seen in the campaigns, it seems that it is impossible for one object to materialize inside another.

Offline Abyss

I remember ST:R did something like this, though.

I'm a bit new here so can you please tell me what ST:R stands for?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Silent Threat: Reborn, a re-imagining of the original Silent Threat campaign for FS1.

Offline Abyss

Ah, thank you.

Catching Fishes....Catching Fishes.......on a hook...... on a hook.....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
No. Canon. Answer. Exists.

But based on what we have seen in the campaigns, it seems that it is impossible for one object to materialize inside another.

It was more a hypothetical question (sue me ;)) Like what would happen if you put in coordinates that was right inside an Arcadia or Orion, what would happen?

Well... if the subspace vortex is a sort of twisting of space-time (like it appears to be), then I imagine that the interior of the Arcadia would get twisted up and shredded. Maybe pieces of it would get pulled into subspace accidentally. Then whatever was jumping in would ram at high speed what was left of it and generally everyone's day would be ruined.

That's how I imagine it playing out. Of course, the chances of that happening are pretty much nonexistent, given the sheer volume of space there is.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Well "Into" doesn't have to mean actually inside. It could just use the momentum from exit from subspace. I'm sure if you played around with .tbl files a bit you would be able to get a meson bomb to warp in like a ship and kamikaze into another ship. Also you could model some engines onto it if you are good at that sort of thing.

And this clearly would work in FS canon:- The Meson bomb can be taken through subspace (with a freighter)
                                                                  It exits subspace without incident. So if you didn't attach engines to the meson bomb you could just use a freighter with a bomb to ram into another ship.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Kie99

Well... if the subspace vortex is a sort of twisting of space-time (like it appears to be), then I imagine that the interior of the Arcadia would get twisted up and shredded. Maybe pieces of it would get pulled into subspace accidentally. Then whatever was jumping in would ram at high speed what was left of it and generally everyone's day would be ruined.

That's how I imagine it playing out. Of course, the chances of that happening are pretty much nonexistent, given the sheer volume of space there is.

If it was possible, it would be used routinely.  You can talk about the unlikelihood of coming out in a particular place, but you can be certain of where some apertures will appear.  The Repulse could have sliced the Colossus in two in Feint! Parry! Riposte! by opening an aperture when it was 1 metre in front of the Colossus, or fighters could have sliced the Sathanas's arms off by doing something similar in bear-baiting.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

If it was possible, it would be used routinely.  You can talk about the unlikelihood of coming out in a particular place, but you can be certain of where some apertures will appear.  The Repulse could have sliced the Colossus in two in Feint! Parry! Riposte! by opening an aperture when it was 1 metre in front of the Colossus, or fighters could have sliced the Sathanas's arms off by doing something similar in bear-baiting.

that would assume that:
1) the Repulse had the precise spacial location of the colossus (ok that is likely as the two NTF cruisers should still be in play at that point)
2) that subspace drive is accurate enough for that kind of maneuver (Babylon 5 has a brilliant moment explaining how during the earth-mimbari war human jump drives were not accurate enough to drop down on a ship but mimbari ships are and it shows a warcruiser reverting back to realspace chopping a hyperion (i think) in two pieces
3) that there is no comeback on the warping ship
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kie99

that would assume that:
1) the Repulse had the precise spacial location of the colossus (ok that is likely as the two NTF cruisers should still be in play at that point)
2) that subspace drive is accurate enough for that kind of maneuver (Babylon 5 has a brilliant moment explaining how during the earth-mimbari war human jump drives were not accurate enough to drop down on a ship but mimbari ships are and it shows a warcruiser reverting back to realspace chopping a hyperion (i think) in two pieces
3) that there is no comeback on the warping ship

1) It did, I'm talking about activating their jump drive when they're right in front of the Colossus.  Whenever a ship jumps out, the aperture is opened right in front of them.  All you have to do is face your enemy and start to jump out and you know where the portal's going to open.
2)See above
3) There would be no comeback possible worse than what actually happened, the worst that I could see would be having to push the front bit of the colossus (the bit you've chopped off) into subspace with you.  It might still kill you but you're a lot more likely to get killed smashing straight into it.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We have no reason to believe it's possible to open a subspace portal in a solid or even semisolid object, and because it's never done or attempted and our fighter's drives won't let us, every reason to believe it's not. BUT, nebular missions suggest the possiblity of opening one in what amounts to an atmosphere. However given the probably superb compartmentation of GTVA warships and their motion, it would be difficult or impossible to open a portal because of the size of any practical weapon to use against them. Cyclops, Harbingers, even Tsunamis are easily the size of a man, and the subspace portal is usually at least twice the diameter or height of the object it's transporting.

As such, most cruisers and corvettes are simply immune, as there are no spaces aboard large enough in both dimensions for the weapon to arrive in. Destroyers are still possible because of the fighterbay, in theory, but in practice the details of targeting such a thing are simply unlikely, even (and especially) for the Shivans.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story