Author Topic: might be asked: Bump Mapping  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
might be asked: Bump Mapping
can we do it? i mean without any vid card requirements :p
I hate My signature!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its possible, but it still is going to require a good amount of GPU power.  anyone have a normal map generator?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
There must be an easier way to do this than to have 3 or 4 differents files per "texture".. putting it all together takes up quite a bit of power, even my system slows down with a lot going on...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
were going to need 3 rendering passes at this point in time if we do any more upgrades
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The problem with Alpha layered images is that the Alpha layers are only 256 colour greyscale , which is no good for Glows or Shines, though would still work with Bumpmapping for those that support it.

Flipside :D

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
So what options are there? I mean the latest games (UT2K3, Battlefield1942, Freelancer, Starlancer (I think)) have multi-maps but are much more efficient at this stage. And if things are going to be done it might be better to start now before it becomes a problem down the road....

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
It may become necessary to implement DDS textures like Homeworld 2 uses.  One of many reasons to update to DX9.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Is there a DDS plugin for Photoshop or something that makes texture conversion easy?  One of the big things about PCX at this point is the ease of format.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Yes there is, you can get it from www.nvidia.com somewhere in the developers section.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html More specifically - though kudos to you for finding it on nVidia in the first place :)

Offline Fry_Day

It may become necessary to implement DDS textures like Homeworld 2 uses. One of many reasons to update to DX9.
Compressed textures work just fine on DX8. And I think DX7, for the matter.

So what options are there? I mean the latest games (UT2K3, Battlefield1942, Freelancer, Starlancer (I think)) have multi-maps but are much more efficient at this stage. And if things are going to be done it might be better to start now before it becomes a problem down the road....
I'm pretty sure none of those games use more than two maps simultaneously (Though I'm not sure about BF1942) - even UT2k3 doesn't use a gloss map like FS2Open does.

Only the next crop of games (Namely, HL2 and Doom 3, and games based on their engines) will use more maps, and they'll require at least DX7-class hardware (And in Doom's case, use specific extensions, like register combiners, to squeeze much closer to PS1.1 capabilities for hard-coded effects even for those cards). It's just that multiple textures are inherently much slower, which is exactly why they aren't commonly used.

Offline Foxer

• TerraNet @ www.FreeSpace.pl
Is bump-mapping is in Relese 3.5.5 or in any build? I'm asking becouse i see this Hecate screen with really cool scratches, etc. on hull. Is it avaible only with some vid cards and special maps? :confused:

BTW. Hi and salute to all of you :D
Greetings, Foxer / {303}Foxer / FOXeR_mk
TerraNet FreeSpace.PL Forum | Squadron 303

Offline bKtHeG

• http://www.rtk-games.net
Originally posted by Liberator
It may become necessary to implement DDS textures like Homeworld 2 uses.  One of many reasons to update to DX9.

As I said before: This would be a real problem under linux because there is no directx - only opengl. And even if dds is working under windows opengl it won't under linux.

If there is an alternative - use it instead of dds
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 11:28:20 am by 1351 »

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Foxer
Is bump-mapping is in Relese 3.5.5 or in any build? I'm asking becouse i see this Hecate screen with really cool scratches, etc. on hull. Is it avaible only with some vid cards and special maps? :confused:

BTW. Hi and salute to all of you :D

It is not.

What you see is a nice trick with shinemaps made by Lightspeed.

It gives a simiral impression - but not up close.

That's why we will need bumb mapping.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Zarax

Well, too bad for linsux, but since all users uses windows we should implement it... if linsux will ever catch up then the linsux guys at scp would implement it...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Flaser

It is not.

What you see is a nice trick with shinemaps made by Lightspeed.

It gives a simiral impression - but not up close.

That's why we will need bumb mapping.

that screenie doesn't use my shinemaps. In fact, it's quite old ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by bKtHeG

As I said before: This would be a real problem under linux because there is no directx - only opengl. And even if dds is working under windows opengl it won't under linux.

If there is an alternative - use it instead of dds

As I keep saying we just make it a requirement that everyone's ships come with both .dds and pcx/tga/jpg textures.

That way everyone is happy. I don't see why every single windows user should be forced to use a slower system when there is a compromise that would make everyone happy.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
those scrathces were in the original texture ;P
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
doesn't OGL have a comparable texture compression, I would think it would
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
it can use dds textures, you need a radeon or geforce.  i think devil accepts them too.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord