Author Topic: Graphics Issues on OS X  (Read 18051 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Graphics Issues on OS X
One of the strangest issues I have with the graphics is that the ships engines' flames look like gaming cards. O_o

Haha, I thought you were joking until I saw the pic, and then I remember that's the Suicide Kings squad logo texture.  That's the coolest bug I've ever seen.  Did you use -glsl, or -noglsl (or -no_glsl)?  It sounded like the latter was the proper one, but I have no way of testing on an Intel Mac yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline DDspeed

I used exactly -no_glsl, as indicated in the logs.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sorry, I didn't check the logs, since I wouldn't be able to figure much out from them myself, just saw what you typed in the thread.  Also, thanks for dropping by, and

:welcome:
Welcome to the HLPBB!

Always nice to have another new face (or nick).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline wdarkk

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a bit.

The xt builds DO fix one issue - the odd text distortion over some of the ship names (mostly ones whose target models don't appear, such as the mentu).

Maybe the main issue will be fixed when Leopard comes out and apple finally releases a new OpenGL version for us.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
So I'm having the same problems as these guys and I was hoping somebody could help me out. I've got a MacBook Pro with OS X (10.4.11) and I also have an x1600. Some ship models are either showing up really weirdly or are just plain invisible (though i can still destroy them). I'm also having the problem where the squad logo is showing up where the engine flames should be though I've got the logo for the 42nd Bombers instead because that's what's painted on the side of the Myrmidon I'm targeting.

The link to the xt build is broken and I'm having a little bit of a hard time following the end of this conversation so I was just wondering if anybody could help me out or if there is currently no hope (at least until somebody gets a good look at OSX 10.5). Thanks!
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

I too have the same exact problem as the first poster in this thread.

I obtained Freespace 2 from macgamefiles.com
downloaded the newest version of FS2_Open (3.6.9 Final) from macupdate, and ran the program.
I also have the newest version (3.0.1) of the FS_launcher

i tried to install some of the updated graphics files, but no documentation was included with them, so i am really not sure if i installed them correctly. (this applies to the rest of the media files on here as well. i dont know if i should put them in the directory with the FS2_Open executable, or in the data folder, or what) also, i am not sure how to set any of these flags in the command line. when i launch the program, it just launches, no command line is there.

lastly, i tried d/ling the install of FS2 using the FreespaceOpenInstaller jar container. i had the same problem. please, i just need a little explanation on how to use these "mp-710_adveffects.vp" files and if i should be using a different installer or what. also, on that note, FS2_Open worked fine for me under tiger, but leo has all these graphics problems >_< (oh yeah, im running FS2_Open using 1024x768 @ 32 bits )

here is my hardware/software specs:

PowerMac G5 2x 2.0 GHz (1st gen)
3 GB RAM
Running Mac OS X 10.5.1

ATI Radeon 9800 XT:

Chipset Model:   ATY,R360
  Type:   Display
  Bus:   AGP
  Slot:   SLOT-1
  VRAM (Total):   256 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x4e48
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  ROM Revision:   113-A14404-118

Offline nijineko

• Two strange quarks short of a graviton...
i am likewise having this issue. the link to the text/fix file seems to be broken. did the fix work? and can i get it? or is this a "get os x.5" thing?

please help!  :D
Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshouka?

thanks!! the media vps solved the model problem, but i still got one more :(

check out the background and the particles going by:

are there any vps that i can get to replace the background/particles?

thanks I'll give it a shot once I get back home. That would just solve the white particles though not the background right?

sweet! Now I can't wait to get back.god I love this game >_<

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Seems odd that motion debris would affect the background.

yeah, thats what i thought, but we'll see >_<

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
I remember the problems with the background but i'm not sure what helped.
However, the fs2_open 3.6.9 build is not well working on an intel Mac and Ati X1x00 graphics.

Try this (works for me MPB X1600 X10.5.2)

Download the latest build for MacOSX here

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50959.msg1030014.html#msg1030014

but use the "window" mode option if you are on a intel Mac and or 10.5.x

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50959.msg1043911.html#msg1043911

HTH

woot! the motion debris fixed it! and it works fullscreen as well under 10.5.2 :D (running 3.6.9)

thank you so much for the help!

to clarify for anyone else that was having the same problem i was, this is what i did:

downloaded freespace 2 from macupdate
updated FS2_Open to 3.6.9
got the FS2_Launcher v3
downloaded the vps and the shaders (to install the vps, make a folder called mediavps and drop all the files in there, the FS2_Launcher will automatically find and enable them)
disabled motion debris in the launcher (graphics -> check -nomotiondebris)

here are the options i use:

1024 x 768 x 32

graphics:

-spec
-glow
-env
-jpgtga
-mipmap
-nomotiondebris
-missile_lighting
-ambient_factor 75.00
-spec_exp 11
-spec_point .6
-spec_static .8
-spec_tube .4

gameplay & speed

-3dwarp
-warp_flash
-cache_bitmaps

HUD & Audio

-dualscanlines
-targetinfo
-orbradar
-rearm_timer
-snd_preload

and here are my machine specs if its helpful

PowerMac G5 2x 2.0 GHz (1st gen)
512 KB L2 Cache
1 GHz Frontside bus
3 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT (256 MB VRAM) Chipset Model:   ATY,R360

Apple released a "Leopard graphics update", so I thought I'd give freespace another try. In the second mission of the main freespace 2 campaign (after "surrender, bellasarius") I can now see the asteroids. Can anyone with an ati X1600 check to see if they are visible before the update, because I don't remember and I can't check any other missions since I don't have my saved games anymore :(

At first sight, the problem seems to be fixed :D. Oh and by the way, when I try to play FSport, the first real mission (after the training) won't load properly. When I command+option+escape it, I'm left with a window describing an error in the mission (something about invalid weapon). Any fix for this, because I'd love to finally play all the campaigns in a more or less chronological order  :cool:

PS: i was using the official 3.6.9 build

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If you want to play the FSPort, then you should select a FSPort-compatible campaign from the campaign room.  The Main FreeSpace Campaign, for example.