Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87510 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I'd say the neck is fine, but the rear armor plates have a lot less detail than the rest.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Indeed, but I'm guessing that's an area he has not touched as of now.

On other topic slightly related to this, is there a reason why laser turrets are always represented with button turrets, just as the beams?
I mean I'd expect them to be smaller multipart turrets of some sort.

Note that I'm not saying the Deimos should have lasers morphed to multipart (though that would be quite cool), instead I'm wondering why V went that way when making the models, maybe some hardware limitation or the likes?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
From what I remember, the retail engine didn't support multipart turrets on any axes other than straight up and down, so :v: would have been limited to using simple blister turrets for the sides.  Now why that limitation was in the engine in the first place is another question...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
An idea I've always played around with buttons is being, the 'button' that we see is just the 'crater' the turret sits in, and it acts as armor/cover for the turret. Of course, the issue with this is that it seriously restricts FoV.

I'm also considering leaving the armor plating on the back undetailed. It gives it a sort of shell look and makes it fairly unique.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm also considering leaving the armor plating on the back undetailed. It gives it a sort of shell look and makes it fairly unique.

A lot of detail can be added from textures, but please consider adding some kind of separation on the mesh around the missile launchers.
Something like the gap used on the rear beam turrets maybe, just to make it clear that the launchers are "not part" of the rear plating.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
^This. And maybe some visual break (an inset?) where the curvy plates meet each other.

Offline Aesaar

I think it makes it look unfinished.  I strongly suggest you greeble it like you did the rest of the flatter bits of hull.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
It's possible to make detailed shells, come on man.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

It's also possible to have a ship that looks good without being encrusted with greebles.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

The "horror of emptiness" is a common mistake many (newbie) artists make in any endeavour.

Hades does not need advice, but to anyone else disagreeing with the "lack of greeble" on any given square meter, I'd say this: you can have a whole big smooth plate and still make it extremely high quality if you accompany it with a very detailed finish or recess or something. Homeworld designers perfected this design strategy: make huge plates and then extremely narrow detailed parts that were able to capture the scale of the ships.

This way you have your cake and eat it too: detailed greebles that give you a sense of scale, not too much work because you only have to fine detail 10% or less of the mesh, not too much noise on the screen that would obliterate the effort put on it, not too many polies or textures that would overwhelm the GPU.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Yes, but if you choose to follow that school of design, follow it across the whole ship.

Hades has detailed the front armor to a ridiculous extent, to the point where an 'empty' rear would really clash with the over-detailed front.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I see what you're getting at, Luis Dias, but here it doesn't work because it produces such a heavy imbalance in the model.  The entire front section constitutes the 'narrow detailed part' and it's half of the whole ship.  The 'monolithic armor slab' appearance is defeated by giving small details the same visual area as the armor slabs, and they end up feeling discontinuous with the rest of the ship.  For the rear armor plates, I'm not saying we need super-dense tech greeble.  Just some minor surface details that integrate the plates to the rest of the ship, because right now they don't flow well. 

From another perspective, Hades has already done a magnificent job on the monolithic armor slab thing, padding each major section with a very nice amount of detail that frames the heavy armor.  That's not going on in the rear section.  There's no small detail to convey a sense of scale, unlike the front sections.

Perhaps some small trenches outlining the different plates.  That's at minimum what we need, because the rest of the ship uses them so heavily and then you get to the rear sector and everything suddenly starts flowing together with no detail spacing it out.

EDIT:

Hehe Enioch you ninja'd me.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:43:40 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Luis Dias

I agree with the "small trenches" separating the plates' comment.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
So Hades, when are you planning to start UVing this baby? :P

Too many greebles if you ask me. There are some so small you wont even notice them once they are textured and in-game, so I ask, why even have them? (Look between the trench splitting the front for an example.)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I see what you're getting at, Luis Dias, but here it doesn't work because it produces such a heavy imbalance in the model.

This... I actually would advocate getting rid of some greebling in the front section, to re-balance the model. Not add greebles in the back. I don't see what the fear of ungreebled surfaces is all about :\
And the Deimos looks so beautifull without greebles, because its form is well designed.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Aren't we kinda forgetting that the engine also has normal maps now? Hades could've had using that in mind to detail the rear.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Don't you have to model the details first to make normals off of?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Afair, when I asked the same question, (this year?) I was told it was one of two ways of doing it, and the most inefficient FSO-wise.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Let's step back for a second and appreciate the fact that the past several posts have been telling Hades to both add AND take away some greebles. :p