Author Topic: Shield discussion (split from WIP)  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Shield discussion (split from WIP)
They're not sensor globes, dammit, they're shield generators. You know, in Episode VI, the Imp officer goes "Sir! We just lost our bridge's deflector shields!" right after one globe goes kablooey.

Looks nice, but I liked your old ones better.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:26:19 pm by chief1983 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, we've come to the agreement that they are sensor globes, based on resemblance to real life counterparts, and on sources compiled before the sources that claimed they were shield generators.  However, we have also agreed that due to an error in their engineering, they are somehow tied into the shields systems, so that their failure will, at least for a time, cause the shields to go down.  This should satisfy both everything seen in the movies, and agree with all first-party sources.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
They're not sensor globes, dammit, they're shield generators. You know, in Episode VI, the Imp officer goes "Sir! We just lost our bridge's deflector shields!" right after one globe goes kablooey.

Looks nice, but I liked your old ones better.

nope .. there are sensor globes most likely ... Just click http://www.theforce.net/swtc/towers.html#globes
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well if the people who designed the scene and model say they are sensor globes, I agree. 
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
Dude .. the link I posted is one of the most complete ref re: SW stuff.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Right, which is why he agreed with you...

Although, complete as it may be, it's still third party, so I take everything on it with a grain of salt.  I'd still only use it when lacking a better first party reference, or it's directly referencing a first party reference.  Granted, due to the mass amount of information, odds are it's the only reference on a lot of subjects, so I'm sure we'll be using it heavily.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
What would you define as first party?  How about the people who designed the scene? (Richard Edlund, ILM)
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, people who actually worked on it, which fall under it referencing first party material, or the movies themselves.  General speculation is not however, first party.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And so when a first party source specifically identifies them as sensors:

"A very large explosion is coming out of the bridge area and it's causing several others to go as well; and one of the big radar domes up on top has been blown away, and that's spewing flames."
CINEFEX #13, p.55, 3 February 1983
— Richard Edlund (who shared ILM's 1983 Academy Award for ROTJ special effects).

what do we say then?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That confirmed first-party information is not canon. ::)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
How bout this....

Technically since they are supposed to be sensors, and the rest says
shields, how bout you just split it 50/50 and have both?

There are 2 globes after all....
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't know about having them be one of each, it just seems too odd since they appear identical.  I really only see either having both serve a dual shield/sensor purpose, or having them as sensors that are somehow poorly tied into the shield system, being a solution that satisfies enough of the information out there.  But whatever they are, let's spend a little more time telling brandx0 how awesome they look, so he has a bit more incentive to keep working on them, because they're coming along great.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Meh.  They are sensor globes, and the outside is used as a projection surface for the shield generators, located under the the globes.  When one of the globes was destroyed, the power surge / EMI discharge knocked the shields out temporarily.

There's a theory for you, if you want it.  :p

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
That confirmed first-party information is not canon. ::)

Says who ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Just to let you guys know, we staffy type people are working out how exactly we're going to impliment these, but we don't have a concrete answer yet.  Wait for it on the forums, it'll be coming up soon.  Until then, no more comment from me.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just to let you guys know, we staffy type people are working out how exactly we're going to impliment these, but we don't have a concrete answer yet.  Wait for it on the forums, it'll be coming up soon.  Until then, no more comment from me.

A certain CVS build that Goober released has a shield generator. When the 'shield' subsystem is destroyed, then the shield turns off.

Alternatively, you could do that for every ship using SEXP's in mission, but that would suck ass.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I should have rephrased that.... we staffy types are working on what stance we're taking on the shield generator vs. sensor globe debate, is what I should have said...

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
Re: Shield discussion (split from WIP)
you should say actually ISD Balls.   :D