Author Topic: Why no-one can play freespace 2 today...  (Read 12291 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Why no-one can play freespace 2 today...
I use a Gravis Xterminator Joypad, with an analogue thumb control, eleven buttons (including triggers) POV control, a digital pad, and two sliders it's great! I still have some controls on the keyboard (usually some targeting controls and wing commands) but I'm sure that I could set it up even better than I have.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I use a Gravis Xterminator Joypad, with an analogue thumb control, eleven buttons (including triggers) POV control, a digital pad, and two sliders it's great! I still have some controls on the keyboard (usually some targeting controls and wing commands) but I'm sure that I could set it up even better than I have.

I have one of those, I think, but to be honest I thought it was pretty awful - unweildy, uncomfy, unergonomic and imprecise - so I ended up buying a PS2 adaptor instead.  Albiet I never bought it for FS2 anyways.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
It's not that bad with a bit of practice, I have used PS1 pads and PS2 pads (not for Freespace but for other PS games) and yes they feel a little more natural. But with practice you can get used to it, I'm very used to it now.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I've always used the mouse and keyboard, here the joysticks (and every game, btw) are way too expensive to buy.

Which part of the world is this?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I've always used the mouse and keyboard, here the joysticks (and every game, btw) are way too expensive to buy.

Which part of the world is this?

Check his profile, he's from Brazil!

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I've always used a keyboard but now I use a joystick with it. I wonder has anyone ever done a custom setup, like create/modify their own keyboard or rip the controls out of a military vehicle (eg. aircraft, helicopter, etc), or even perhaps gone out of their way to do something very different?

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I play with my Saitek X52 HOTAS...I wouldn't trade it for anything else.  I have a fully customized control setup, so I rarely even have to touch the keyboard.  I think I have about 100+ functions mapped to my X52 for FS2 alone...

Plus...It's shiny!
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Saitek makes really cool joysticks. I mean, they have LIGHTS!!! I have a Saitek evo Force.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny.

The beauty of the x52 is its versatility with functions of the toggles, axis, rotaries, and HAT controls. i have one mode properly mapped, and i'm trying to get the second and third working like true setups. :lol:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Saitek makes really cool joysticks. I mean, they have LIGHTS!!! I have a Saitek evo Force.

I can full-heartedly repeat this statement with the exception of me owning a Saitek Cyborg Evo. It's very, very precise stick. Looks cool too, and is quite affordable.

And there is the positive side of looking like it's glowmapped... ;7
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I also used to play fs2 with the gravis xterminator. That gamepad had everything on it, it was so nice, i eventually got an ace using the gamepad as opposed to racking up aces all the time with the mouse. The thing i most loved about the xterminator was it's shoulder buttons, and the digital clickers on the underside of the controller(very similar to the n64 z button...except two of them). I had a very hard time looking for a controller similar to that, the only thing to do about it is get another xterminator. My friend broke mine :D
Now i use a madcatz pro 360 controller on fs2, very nice controller, it even has a joystick invert switch and turbo, and redesigned shoulder buttons compared to the normal xbox360 controller.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

I've always used a keyboard but now I use a joystick with it. I wonder has anyone ever done a custom setup, like create/modify their own keyboard or rip the controls out of a military vehicle (eg. aircraft, helicopter, etc), or even perhaps gone out of their way to do something very different?
I have a friend whos uncle bought one of those plane sim arcade machines, removed the parts, installed a computer inside, souped up the monitor from CRT to LCD, and installed some other Space-Sim games. I dont think he has installed FS2 yet. He usually plays Tachyon: The Fringe on it
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Mouse support bleh... Its wayyy more fun with a joy.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
As far as a custom set up, I use to play FS2 with voice commands... But then stopped cause my landlord started looking at me funny.   :wtf:
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Hmm...Voice command...?  What commands can you issue with it?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The problem with using a mouse is that when you want to keep turning you have to pick it up, move it, and drag it again. My joystick broke, but I never used it anyway. One of the buttons fell out.

Landlord?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Well, that's just the nature of the mouse. Perfect for anyone who sucks with a joystick though. It'll turn a person into an ace really fast with all that ****ing dragging and repositioning. Using the mouse to play i haven't found it a problem...you just sort of do it, it does not get in the way of maneuvering your craft or gameplay at all. I'm just interested in getting a joystick again because i use to be good with one, and now i suck with one.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I have always used a keyboard in FS2. It works just fine if you get used to it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Roanoke

I've still got a MS Sidewinder somethin-or-other for FS. Hasn't been used for > or < 12 months tho  :doubt:

Offline Genryu

In my case, it's a Top Gun Afterburner from Thrustmaster, a cheap HOTAS setup, but still way too much fun when playing games like FS2 or Crimson Skies.
Man is making better fool proof machines everyday. Nature is making bigger fools everyday. So far, Nature is winning.
- Albert Einstein
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
- Gandhi