Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 279147 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: World of Warships - Now Available
Post buff Yorck isn't too bad, the AP arcs still suck but the better traverse opens up more tactical options.  Hipper is a lot of fun, though being dependent on AP has me in fits sometimes.  When stuff obliges and shows flat surfaces to pen she is an absolute joy, but when everything is angling not having good HE really stinks. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't even care if this is due to the carrier nerfs or to my inexperience at carriers, this is demoralising...

Now that I have Zuiho unlocked, though, Hosho can just go...

Hopefully I'll have better luck with Furutaka and Kongo while cruiser hunting for the first Arpeggio mission.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Use those AP shells on the Furu, the Kongo is it's own breed of a beastly heavy cruiser disguised in the shape of a BB.
You'll have fun with them both.
el hombre vicio...

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Use those AP shells on the Furu, the Kongo is it's own breed of a beastly heavy cruiser disguised in the shape of a BB.
You'll have fun with them both.

I've played Kongo in the beta, so I know a bit about its potential, but I'll have to get used to it again. Looking forward to it, though.

As for Furutaka, I've looked up a bit about it, and it seems to be a cruiser that should be played a bit like a battleship? Accurate and heavy hitting AP, but slow loading and slow-to-traverse guns? Since I like BB play somewhat, I feel I might like it.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Guess what Red Team?  Doesn't matter that our BBs decided to ignore the mini map and support requests to instead sail all the way down the other side of the flipping map from the engagement.  Hipper, Baltimore and Kagerō are more than enough to kite the shiitake mushrooms out of your two tier IX BBs and ample cruiser support.

Deutschland Engineering Ja

I was wicked pumped with the result because it looked like we were totally boned from the outset all the way through to the last third of the game.  Luckily the Mogami got greedy and decided to show his broadside which I promptly multi citadeled, I finally pelted the Pensacola to death despite having a crap angle for the entire match and then went man mode on the Izumo and gave him a pointed lesson in German CA fish.

Offline crizza

I was going to brag about the "sometimes you can't carry hard enough ad than you post something like this dude.
Anyways, got my first kill the moment our AFK CV burned down.
But the bloody Murmansk should be T6 IMHO.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Just got my hands on my beautiful Amagi. Had it in CBT, always wanted it back. She always holds up when I need her most.

Aaaaaaaargh...
5 kills in my Konigsberg, and we still lost by points. I would have gotten SO MUCH EXP if we had won...

EDIT: The next chapter in "Can't Carry Hard Enough"

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:02:33 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Training room is loads of fun
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline crizza

Which mod is that btw?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Aw, yusssss

Offline Melon

• Steam
...and this could have been a x2 xp game if we had won... :(

The difference between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Nice one Melon, that's a sweet spread of cheevos.

I love Nagato, certainly one of the best BBs in the IJN line.  Reliable armor when angled, superlative secondaries and those brutal 16" naval rifles all combine into a very comfortable package.  Not to mention she seems to provide me with the most hilarious gunnery moments including eating a Cleveland purely on secondaries, first salvo detonation of an Atlanta barely out of the cap circle on North and pegging a Mutsuki making a run at our carrier from max range on Fault Line.

Offline Melon

• Steam
Not sure why all of my best games have to be defeats, but it's happened again.

The difference between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
So, after a month of derping around in warbotes, I'm having a lot of fun, but still I'm not sure which line to level up first.

- US DDs: They are a lot of fun. The fully buffed Clemson does evil things to other DDs with its guns and the torps have decent range. If I survive the inital clash with other tin cans, lobbing torps at BBs results in lots of XP.

- US BB: While I can see the fun of the slower and more tactical gameplay in battleships, the dispersion of Wyoming's guns has be regularly frustrated (maybe I'm spoiled from the Königsberg), and from what I've read it doesn't get much better at higher tiers? The shotgun style dispersion is useful when shooting at DDs though, it's fun to watch them go pop from a single HE round. But maybe I should play Japanese BBs instead, since they have a bit better accuracy?

- CVs: Is just unlocked the Langley and played a few games with it... but I'm still more fighting with the control interface than against enemy ships :/

- German cruisers: After suffering through Kolberg/Karlsruhe, the Königsberg is a joy to drive around. The ability to touch people out at 16.5 km with highly accurate AP fire with a ridiculous ROF is great. Like its lower tier sister, it still pulls aggro like crazy. If spotted, everybody and his mother is shooting at you expecting an easy kill. This bloodlust it creates in others is useful for kiting though... they seem to get serious tunnel vision when hunting after me, happily ignoring my BB team mates are suddenly much closer than me, until they get a nice broadside from them.

- Japanese: I haven't played much yet past Chikuma. The stealth DDs sound kinda fun, but maybe the BBs are more enjoyable?

- Aurora cruiser: This was part of the invite code I got. It's a fun shooty tier III flamethrower with good range and decent armor.

So, my fellow HLP skippers... what are your recommendations for further boat grinding?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:13:51 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Japanese DDs are a lot of fun, if you like the psychological warfare aspect of the game. The Mutsuki has torps with a range of 10km. 10! If you can accurately predict where a BB or CA is going to be in 40 seconds, you can reach out and smack them. Or drop a spread to scare them or drive reds away from an area. They fail pretty badly against other DDs, unless you can land a torpedo, but in general can be a lot of fun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Both IJN and German cruiser lines are very solid and cap off with the best Tier X CAs(which is a joke considering Des Moines would wipe the floor with them in reality).  That said cruisers lose some utility in high tier meta but are very fun and competitive otherwise.

Starting at Tier V IJN BBs are equal  to or superior to the USN with the ecception of Iowa.  Yamato is regarded as the best gun ship in game and will typically stomp anything if played well.

CVs are kind of messed up right now and don't get a lot of play.  Basically making one of USN cruisers great AA moot. Even so the high tiers are very scary platforms.

Can lines all play pretty different.   USN are close range gunboats, IJN torp snipers and VMF are more like pocket CLs.  Choose your flavor they all can be fun.

Offline crizza

The IJN DDs are a dead end to me.
I cannot cope with the Mutsukis torps, so I'll switch back to the US line.
Other than that, the Colorado is fun, while I'm in love with the Fuso.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tier VI and VII are a little meh but the line picks up again at Fubuki