Author Topic: Spore  (Read 3555 times)

Has anyone heard about that awesome looking new game by maxis? I can't figure out if it's gonna be like a download the client and pay membership kinda thing, or something like SWG were you buy the game from the store and install the client that way, and no membership payments. (Dang, i forgot how to get hyperlinks to work)

http://www.spore.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_%28video_game%29
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Welcome to like three years ago :p The game has been in development and public for quite some time.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I predict another Black and White.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:15:35 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
A quick search reveals:
One
Two
Three

Still, the bet is on for who can create the first shivan specimen once the game is out.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
It looks too cartoony.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The bet is on for who can create the first shivan specimen once the game is out.

I wonder if it's possible to create parasitic species in that game... Would be pretty nice to make a species that assimilates every other species in multiplayer. Kinda like the Flood.

I'll get the game (and a rig that runs it) if it includes possibility of multiplayer PvP combat between Aliens, Predators, Marines, the Flood and Romero's zombies. ;7
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm waiting for this for a while now. It looks fun and could certainly while away some time :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'll be having fun trying to make some Shivans...
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Forget what I said earlier, it doesn't look cartoony at all. Shivans should be easy to create.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
This looks suspiciously like a rather sucky collection of mini-games.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
From what I read in the magazines only the first part of the game is sort of a mini game.

1) You are a one cell organism floating around in the small evolution pit (in german it's called Ur-Suppe :) ) and you are supposed to catch DNA fragments while avoiding other enemy species. I'm pretty sure that this is only a very short part of the game, no one would like to play that for days

2) Then you can create your first evolved creature which crawls on land, find a female/male, make babies and protect your young ones. Interaction is also a part here. This is a little similar to the Sims

3)Then you create a small group/pack and need to feed and develop them further. This part should be similar to the settler games

4) Now comes the civilisation part, guess what, you need to build up an entire planetary civilisation

5) Now comes the last , the biggest and endless part of the game. Now you can build space ships and conquer other worlds, so it will be a little like Imperium galactica

I think that this is a genius attempt of mixing gameplays together and can make you busy for weeks when you see your little tamagochi's make their evolution. Of course the creation of such a game is very risky and quite a lot can go wrong, but from what I see it looks good (alone the creature editor allows everything, you can even put the mouth on the back) :) If your creature will be able to develop further this way is another matter :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:11:33 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
in the end i want a gun that can instagib solarsystems :)
I hate My signature!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
You can get one that destroys planets.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Can I make species that are Force-sensitive? The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

:p

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I want to be able to go back to the single cell level and evolve a plague that will wipe out advanced civilizations.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'm wondering if one established civilization can do bio-warfare. That would be cool... go back to the lab and design parasites that kill other civilizations.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I want to be able to go back to the single cell level and evolve a plague that will wipe out advanced civilizations.
I know you can change the atmosphere of a plannet and pretty much suffocate everything on it.  Yay for terraforming!

I've had my eye on this for a little while. I'm pretty sure that there is no membership fee, you don't even need to go on the internet, but you would lack variety.  It has been called a "Massively Single Player" game as you do not have direct interaction with other players, but the computer observes your playing style and uses it to get the species' disposition for interaction for others who get your species. I'm pretty sure you can hand pick species to download, but the game will also automatically download some new stuff.  The downloads are measured in kilobytes as it downloads the "blueprint or DNA" for the creature and not the creature itself.  Also, you will not get pawned by a galactic civilisation while you are in the tribal stage, as the point of the game is to be the first species to advance. I'll probably think of more later. Oh well, that all for now.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I know you can change the atmosphere of a plannet and pretty much suffocate everything on it.  Yay for terraforming!

I've had my eye on this for a little while. I'm pretty sure that there is no membership fee, you don't even need to go on the internet, but you would lack variety.  It has been called a "Massively Single Player" game as you do not have direct interaction with other players, but the computer observes your playing style and uses it to get the species' disposition for interaction for others who get your species. I'm pretty sure you can hand pick species to download, but the game will also automatically download some new stuff.  The downloads are measured in kilobytes as it downloads the "blueprint or DNA" for the creature and not the creature itself.  Also, you will not get pawned by a galactic civilisation while you are in the tribal stage, as the point of the game is to be the first species to advance. I'll probably think of more later. Oh well, that all for now.
There isn't a monthly fee. When you're on your planet, several different civs are downloaded for your conquering enjoyment. Once you go into space, you download a species for every life-supporting planet you meet.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll judge it when it finally comes out, seems to be taking ages, but that's not surprising considering the size of the game.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I'll judge it when it finally comes out, seems to be taking ages, but that's not surprising considering the size of the game.

Then I guess Duke Nukem Forever (which won't come out, by the way) will have more content than the Library of Congress.  :lol: