Author Topic: Where do you get ideas?  (Read 2563 times)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
Where do you get ideas?
Hello happy Fred people.

I am working on a mission and am out of ideas regarding what to do in my mission.

Things I've tried so far to gain some inspiration:

• Go for a walk
  • Listen to Coldplay
  • Yell at my cat
  • Stare at the sun
  • Apologize to my cat
  • Item 7

I am at a loss currently. Where do all of you find inspiration for your new missions?

Edit: New activities I have tried in order to inspire myself:

• Uninstall Freespace
  • Uninstall Counter-Strike
  • J.R.R Tolkien's The Silmarillion, edited and published posthumously by his son, Christopher Tolkien, with assistance from Guy Gavriel Kay
  • Hydrogen Chloride
  • Yell at my second cat

Alas, inspiration I have yet to find.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:50:43 pm by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Re: Where do you get ideas?
Steal from other campaigns. :D

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For me, it starts with the mission's story objectives. By the end of the mission, what needs to change for the story?

Once I have that, think about how that can be accomplished. How will the player's team accomplish those goals? The rest kinda unfolds from there.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
This is very true. Mixing and matching different ideas from other missions can churn out some interesting scenarios.

I like to read the wiki a lot. Ship databases, pages about the factions or star systems etc. sometimes give birth to an idea. Sometimes just throwing a random ship on the field and staring at it might give an idea. While FREDding I might ask myself: How would the enemy respond to me/my side doing X action? If something unexpected by the enemy happens, how would Command respond? Wait a second... can they respond, or is something happening elsewhere that's influencing whatever I'm doing over here?

Hopefully this helps. FREDders Block™ can be a pain. In a campaign I'm working on, I must have spent a week trying to come up with an idea for the second mission, only to scrap it weeks later (and like half-complete too) and come up with a more fun setting in a day's time.

Also ditto what Mixael said. That's the most important part. :yes:

Offline soilder198

In regards to playing other campaigns, I am very, very, very wary when it comes to changing anything about my FS folder, be it by installing new mods or campaigns. The reason for this is because I'm 5 missions deep into what I plan to be a 10 mission campaign, and the last time I played around with FSO was when I installed the lastest mediavps, and that alone ended up removing all my backgrounds and causing all my custom missions to crash (I have no mods installed, only FSO and mediavps. I don't know why upgrading my mediavps did what it did to my missions). I forget exactly what mediavps I have because I'm not at my computer right now but I think it's 3.8.12 or something. I know that my version has the new, fancy looking GTM Hippocrates model but does not have the new, fancy looking GTCv Deimos model, if that helps. And by fancy looking, I mean like totally re-textured.  I also know that I definitely don't have FSO 19.0.0.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:02:05 am by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am working on a mission and am out of ideas regarding what to do in my mission.

[...]

I am at a loss currently. Where do all of you find inspiration for your new missions?

To paraphrase Nietzsche: I don't have ideas, ideas have me.

On my desk I have a small note book and a container. Every time I have an idea I can't immdediately put into a mission, make a note and toss it in the container. When I am out of ideas, I just empty the container and look at the notes.
(When I am not at home, I have another small notebook for that - those notes too get into the container upon coming home.)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Read about historical naval battles.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I know that my version has the new, fancy looking GTM Hippocrates model but does not have the new, fancy looking GTCv Deimos model, if that helps. And by fancy looking, I mean like totally re-textured.  I also know that I definitely don't have FSO 19.0.0.
Get Knossos. It will let you be up to date with FSO and all its mods, also guarantees a simplified installation procedure. https://fsnebula.org/knossos/
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I know that my version has the new, fancy looking GTM Hippocrates model but does not have the new, fancy looking GTCv Deimos model, if that helps. And by fancy looking, I mean like totally re-textured.  I also know that I definitely don't have FSO 19.0.0.
Get Knossos. It will let you be up to date with FSO and all its mods, also guarantees a simplified installation procedure. https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

From what I've heard Knossos is a pain when it comes to adding custom stuff though.

For campaigns I often take ideas from documentaries. For me the easiest way to come to mission design is to get a detailed setting into place, the rest happens almost automatically. Of course it's easier when you have a big modpack that allows you to make entirely new things than when you have to work with retail-only things.

Offline Mito [PL]

What exactly do you mean by "adding custom stuff"? Throwing your custom files into mods is identical to any other launcher, and changing dependency versions manually (for example to force a mod to use the latest MVPS) is a single line change in the mod.json file usually. And in the case where you want to make some extensive modifications to something, just create your own private mod and then copy over some other mod into the directory, then modify to your heart's content.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I was told that making mods with custom modpacks or the like is rather difficult. I should add that I don't use Knossos so I can't judge directly; but messing around with some mod.json sounds much more difficult than a 3-click install with other launchers.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I was told that making mods with custom modpacks or the like is rather difficult. I should add that I don't use Knossos so I can't judge directly; but messing around with some mod.json sounds much more difficult than a 3-click install with other launchers.

Actually it is less of hassle than it used to be, as Knossos has a "Development" tab. There you can easily set up all the dependencies and have them working (no more guesses about proper load order and you can lock in the version of a dependency you want to work with and not worry about configurations at the player end); you have to learn a bit what Knossos actually can do and requires you to properly set up a mod.

Adding assets then is as it has always been.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Ah OK, so it's just... different.

Offline Mito [PL]

Mod.json is a plain text file, you just need to swap the value in the version line to change the version of MVPS the mod will use. Procedure is exactly the same as if you took a mod.ini file and changed used MVPS version there. The json file looks more complicated but that's it.

Also I'm not sure what do you mean by "a 3-click install". If you mean a manual install, sure, but Knossos downloads and installs mods with just a single click on the "Install" button. You only need to open up the json file if you want to force the mod to use some dependancy version it's (presumably) not compatible with.

Not only that but I also need to remind that it's possible to set the mod to always use the newest downloaded MVPS, period (as the mod developer). Some mods do exactly that.

Knossos in any way doesn't fiddle with the already existing FS/FSO installation (other than copying retail .vp files) so you can have the two running independently. Knossos lets you freely modify any mod it uses (just don't hit the "verify game files" option after that) and doesn't lock you out of any manual solutions. Just the method of attempting them is different and that's a thing to learn.

Edit: Besides, streamlined player experience is one thing but the power of the Dev tab, Nebula accounts and mod hosting is something totally new. If you have a Nebula account, you might be invited to any mod dev team and get access (at different available levels) to these mods when in their dev cycle, getting all the (probably frequent) updates on the go. And if you have your own mod you can just as well manage your own dev team, or if you made a small mod for yourself, the only thing you need to do to release it to public is to hit a single button.
Also, Knossos takes care for all the VP file packing and if you've got a mod in dev mode, it will be unpacked from the archives by default.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:10:34 am by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

What I meant with 3-clicks install is that I open my 5.5g launcher, click on the folder I want to install and than on "OK".

From my head.

The problem is that I lack the skills to implement them into missions.

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline soilder198

Apologies, it seems I was totally wrong about everything I thought I was right about.

I do have the latest mediavps and I also have Knossos. I also have FSO 19.0.0. Here's where things get tricky, when I launch Fred2_Open_19_0_0, it says in the application after it is open that it is actually Fred2_Open_3.8.1. When I launch Freespace2 from Fred2 it launches it as the version with mediavps 3.8, but then says in game that it is indeed running on FSO_19_0_0.

While typing this post, I had mediavps 4.0 in the Knossos launcher. Launching mediavps 4.0 had a problem where my custom missions would not appear in the single missions menu, as they do with mediavps 3.8. I just now updated to mediavps 4.1.23 because Knossos said they were available, and now when I try launch the mediavps 4.1.23, it say it cannot find an executable.

I would obviously like to play everything on the latest and greatest mediavps and FSO version, but I am afraid to break things.

Edit: I currently have both the Mediavps 3.8 and 4.0 folders installed in my FS2 directory. I believe I left both there because when I tried upgrading to Mediavps 4.0 without using Knossos my Fred2 wouldn't recognize it, and afterwards when I deleted the Mediavps 3.8 my Fred2 would launch FS2 as the vanilla version, which is also a problem because the vanilla version lacks a lot of backgrounds that the mediavps have.

Edit2: Crucial piece of info here, Knossos launcher says I have FSO 3.8.0-3, with no option to update, but in my FS2 folder I literally have FSO 19.0.0 installed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:38:42 pm by soilder198 »

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

If you have the missions in FS2/data/missions you should be able to see them in the single mission room, no matter which mod you're playing.

Offline soilder198

If you have the missions in FS2/data/missions you should be able to see them in the single mission room, no matter which mod you're playing.

I understand, yet that is exactly what did not happen.

After updating to mediavps 4.1.23 I can no longer play FS2 through knossos, so the problem has changed.

Edit: Also, when I launched FS2 on mediavps 4.0, a bunch of single missions would appear in the single mission menu that I do not have in my FS2/data/missions folder. I do not know where they came from.

Edit2: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e556aa7cb0d3321adc9860b debug log

Edit3: I just reinstalled mediavps 4.1.23 and now its working again. It says I am on FSO version 20.1.0 in game. My missions aren't appearing though and those other missions are still there.

Edit4: When I launch FRED2 through the Mediavps 4.1.23 in the Knossos launcher, I can load up my missions and edit them, and then when I launch FS2 through that very same FRED2, it launches the Mediavps 4.1.23 version and my missions do not appear. When I launch FRED2 from my FS2 folder, and then when I launch FS2 from there, it launches with mediavps 3.8 and my missions appear in the single missions menu.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:54:06 pm by soilder198 »

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]