Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118799 times)

First: this is looking top notch.

I for one don't think it needs a modelled fighterbay, after all noone can agree on whether it needs one at all; it would be a tonne of effort that could be better spent on other things like uvmapping or greebling. Yes, I would like MOAR GREEBLE - she's a big ship with some empty looking areas. Just look at the new Medusa - there's no such thing as too much greeble.  :nod:

Hades: The Orion badly needed some love. Thank you!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Just look at the new Medusa - there's no such thing as too much greeble.  :nod:

Uh, yeah, there is.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Also, he probably doesn't need to lookat the Medusa... He made it after all ;)

I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

it seems to me that no two orion mainhalls look the same anyways so i'd guess that they are fighter/bomber storage repair and refit bays and there would be a large airlock leading to the actual launch area. If he Modeled the otherside of that airlock, I think that would be sufficient. IMHO.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Are you people daft? He said he's not going to model the inside of the fighterbay.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Why is there a need to model a part of the ship that most players will never see through proper gameplay? :wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Psh, who plays properly anyway? :p

Uh, yeah, there is.

I was exaggerating. Believe it or not I trust Hades' ability to judge how much greeble a ship needs.

Also, he probably doesn't need to lookat the Medusa... He made it after all ;)

Ah. That makes this all the more promising. But then he's not the one who gave it epic greeble - that was VA iirc.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That was both me and VA. VA did the cockpit area, I did the body, missile pods, and engines, and he did the wires in the engines, why thank you.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I apologise. I just vaguely remember you thanking him for his efforts. In any case, the new HTL Medusa is among the very best of what the FSU has to offer and for that, and all your efforts, I thank you.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
http://p3d.in/U4plL

unlike william shatner's acting career, this isn't dead yet
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Oh man, you never fail to impress Hades! Awesome stuff!  :nod: :yes:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline crizza

What about a one barreled turret for the beam cannon on the bow?
But it looks great otherwise :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:27:50 am by crizza »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Because it'll be used in FSPort. :V

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Can have both. Wouldn't be the first time.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Wonderfull model, keep going!  :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Wouldn't the fsport version need the beam cannons on the sides replaced? :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Wouldn't the fsport version need the beam cannons on the sides replaced? :)

I notice on the lower shot you have a recessed beam cannon, will you be doing a FS1 era version with a different modeled turret where the beams are?
Of course. Those parts are separated from the main mesh so they can be reuved fairly easily etc.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art