Poll

Which engine would you like the Freespace FPS to be made on?

Half Life 2
19 (43.2%)
Crysis
10 (22.7%)
Other
15 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Freespace Assault Force engine poll  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: Freespace Assault Force engine poll
If your framerate is steady, that is more important than it being high (unless you fall below a critical threshold where even a steady framerate is unplayable.)

Crysis is set up in such a way that comparatively low framerates still appear smooth and feel playable.

True, but the full screen motion blur doesn't do anything conducive if you need to do mouse-twitch sniping. Also remember that due to Crysis's beautiful particles systems, most fight scenes will eat another 5-50% out of your FPS.

Anyways, it's pretty common knowledge that Crysis strains most people's computers. I think it's more productive to talk about other limitations at this point, like vehicle physics and such.

As an aside, I'm wondering how hard it is to mod using the Source engine. I hear it's pretty horrible, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
You could just lower the settings to medium or "low" instead of high to improve the framerate. It's not a huge "OH my gosh!" moment if you do. Atleast, it isn't for me. :p

I'm wondering how hard it is to mod using the Source engine. I hear it's pretty horrible, but I have no first hand experience with it.
The Source level designer is rather easy, but can be very complicated and incredible, however, adding custom models is a nightmare. After looking at the Crysis engine, it to looks rather easy to work with for level designing, but once again it can be very complicated and powerful. However, adding models appears to be easier than using the Source SDK.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
If your framerate is steady, that is more important than it being high (unless you fall below a critical threshold where even a steady framerate is unplayable.)

Crysis is set up in such a way that comparatively low framerates still appear smooth and feel playable.

True, but the full screen motion blur doesn't do anything conducive if you need to do mouse-twitch sniping. Also remember that due to Crysis's beautiful particles systems, most fight scenes will eat another 5-50% out of your FPS.

Anyways, it's pretty common knowledge that Crysis strains most people's computers. I think it's more productive to talk about other limitations at this point, like vehicle physics and such.

As an aside, I'm wondering how hard it is to mod using the Source engine. I hear it's pretty horrible, but I have no first hand experience with it.

our point is, crysis strains systems because the graphics are so intense, not the engine is bad.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Uh, how about UE3...Crysis is terrible for indoor environments, which is what I imagine any FS2 FPS would mostly be.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I voted other because it's pretty crappy if you have to buy a game just in order to play a free game that uses that game's engine (called a mod).

And even worse if it's the source engine. Get steam, then hl2, then play your mod. Idk if crysis would be less bull**** or not (with crysis do you just buy the game, install, and then play?).

Sorry i'm looking at this as an which engine is less bull**** for the user when the mod is finished experience.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You shouldn't have asked us for our opinions. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
mod is short for MODIFICATION.  i.e., NOT a seperate, free game.  buying the game that the mod is a modification of is completely reasonable to me.  in my line of thinking, if i don't want the game itself, the mod isn't likely to interest me either.

Offline Arparso

I'd suggest having a look at UDK (Unreal Engine), simply because you'll be able to release the game as a standalone install rather than a mod, which will always limit your playerbase to some extent, otherwise. I don't think, Source is a good choice, as the engine is pretty old now and after two years of mod development it certainly won't look much better than it does now. At least it has a far bigger community than Crysis simply because there are so many Source games out there all giving you access to Source-based mods. I'm not a big fan of Crysis, both gameplaywise and regarding its bad performance and I believe it's also much better suited for outdoor shooters.

Anyway, don't base your decision on a user vote... have a look at the available engines, maybe do some prototyping and evaluate for yourself, what is easier to work with and what gives you the best results for whatever you're going for.

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
Uh, how about UE3...Crysis is terrible for indoor environments, which is what I imagine any FS2 FPS would mostly be.
Oh, don't go getting the idea that all the battles will be indoors. ;) As for the indoor ones, we'll find a way around it if we use the CryTech Engine.

You shouldn't have asked us for our opinions. :P
:p
And even worse if it's the source engine. Get steam, then hl2, then play your mod. Idk if crysis would be less bull**** or not (with crysis do you just buy the game, install, and then play?).
Basically. IIRC, you load the game, click the mod tab, make sure the mod is in the "mod" folder, and then start playing. Most games don't make it much more difficult than that.

our point is, crysis strains systems because the graphics are so intense, not the engine is bad.
Makes sense. My point of lowering the graphical settings still stands though. :)
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What's wrong with indoor missions in Crysis/on CryTech?

Also, see how the aircraft handle :p
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:01:03 am by ShadowGorrath »

Offline Kolgena

CE2 wasn't designed with too much focus on indoor environments. At least to my eyes, the lighting inside many buildings suffers from a bit of blandness as a result. Also, no stock assets (which are random shacks and are useless anyways) have any global lighting baked into textures like a lot of the other games do. Most of the subtle lighting is done by SSAO, which doesn't compare to properly baked textures.

Regardless, with proper assets work and good use of placed lights, an indoor map could look just as good. Again, look at the level "core" (or screenshots of it) to see what kinds of things are possible.

@Katastrophe: For the most part, you're right. Rendering 1 million tris in your average scene will hurt most rigs. However, lots of people have said that the game shaders are bloated and unoptimized. I have no idea if that's actually true though.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
why not unreal, it has the best licensing options, and no one would need to buy a game.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
mod is short for MODIFICATION.  i.e., NOT a seperate, free game.  buying the game that the mod is a modification of is completely reasonable to me.  in my line of thinking, if i don't want the game itself, the mod isn't likely to interest me either.
I'm sure you know via aparso's comment why i was using mod synonymously with free game. And there's also the fact that some mods are so complete that they really are stand alone free games, but in which if you want to play it, it's just a mod. There's some mods that were just mods, such as urban terror, the q3 engine went opensource so urban terror was truly able to be a stand alone game today because of that. And to the contrary, there's plenty of interesting mods for games even if the actual game for the mod doesn't interest the person.

I'm not in here suggesting an opensource route, although if you find a game engine that is opensource, then good for you (you can make a stand alone game instead of just a mod). I only popped in here to show the choosing of two evils is better than one. The drm associated with hl2 via steam is a big pile of steamy ****, is crysis any different? Basically what i'm getting at (which i already got at), would using the crysis engine mean less bull**** for the person who just wants to play a mod?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
* Thaeris holds S-99's sentiments as well.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i didn't mean that to sound "i'm right, you're wrong", sorry.  i was offering my viewpoint as to why i'm not bothered paying for a game to make use of it's engine.  and yes, crysis is MUCH better from a DRM standpoint.  all it has is the (securom?) cd-check stuff.  i even have mine cracked, i hate changing out disks all the time.  none of that online bull****.

as for indoors in crysis, i completely disagree.  did you guys not play the Core level?  (i think that's the right name).  warhead also had extremely impressive mine shafts

Offline dragonsniper

• Steam
why not unreal, it has the best licensing options, and no one would need to buy a game.
Licensing = $1500+ for one computer, for full access. :p So not really the best option, unless you are referring to the SDK, which is obviously free. :)
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Crysis has limited DRM compared to Steam (mere disk check), but Crysis: Warhead and Crysis Wars both use the evil SecuROM that has limited activations, which I find to be worse than Steam since Steam has no limits on installations.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
What do you mean limited activations for securom with crysis? The only scenario in my head that i could put together is that you can install the game a limited number of times on your own computer. And then what? By the game again when you want to play again? Crack it?

I'm sure the scenario in my head right now is not how it actually is. The reason i'm asking for some clarification.

SMBFD

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Basically, it works like this:
1. You install game
2. Game phones home to activation server and activates itself
This reduces the number of activations you can make with that disc, in theory this allows you have the game installed on several PCs at the same time.
If the publisher is feeling generous, they'll allow you to "un-register" an installed copy when you uninstall it, thereby freeing up one activation.
These activations should be linked to the PC, so that you can install, uninstall and reinstall it as often as you want, but again, this depends on how dickish the publisher is feeling at the moment.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
if you call up customer support and tell them you ran out of activiations because of reinstalls, most of the time they will give you more.  i've seen plenty of people say they've done that, and none so far that tried and didn't get it.