Author Topic: System Specs - GFX card  (Read 9201 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Maeglamor
But Thunder if you want to send me your old card I won't complain ;)

I will of course be looking to sell the GF2, which is in perfect working order - but evidently not the cutting edge. How much would you be willing to pay for it? :)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
TNT2
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Redfang
:wtf:The poll has two Radeon families... :p

What the...!!!?! That's seriously screwed! It's missing the GF3MX, and it duplicated the Raedon. Must be whatever's causing the forums to act screwy.... I hope.. :doubt:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by sandwich

What the...!!!?! That's seriously screwed! It's missing the GF3MX, and it duplicated the Raedon. Must be whatever's causing the forums to act screwy.... I hope.. :doubt:

:D But hey, GF3MX doesn't exist, there are only GF3Ti200, GF3, and GF3Ti500. :)

Offline Kazashi

That's a bit better. I guess you could sort out the Radeon issue by having the "Radeon 8500 family", such as the standard R8500 and the 8500LE etc, then an "Other ATi" for things like the 7500 and earlier products.
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Redfang

:D But hey, GF3MX doesn't exist, there are only GF3Ti200, GF3, and GF3Ti500. :)

Oh! Uhhh...... I knew that! :p

Originally posted by Kazashi
That's a bit better. I guess you could sort out the Radeon issue by having the "Radeon 8500 family", such as the standard R8500 and the 8500LE etc, then an "Other ATi" for things like the 7500 and earlier products.

Too late for that - I can't mess with the poll - only moderators can.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by sandwich
Too late for that - I can't mess with the poll - only moderators can.

I guess that's why there are two Radeon families and no GF3MX anymore...

Look at one of the Kazashi's posts in this thread... Maeg updated it and something went wrong? :wtf:

Offline Redfang

Edit: Double post. :doh: Usually it's impossible, as there is 30 second flood control. Now there wasn't. :p

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i have a Radeon 32meg DDR [Radeon Series 1, 7500/8500 being series 2, and 9500/9700 being series three]

BTW the 9700 hands ever other video card in existance it's ass... i just gotta get a powerful enough CPU and fast enough AGP bus [im still running 2x] to utilize a card like that
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
ehy i'm the only one with still a voodoo2??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by KARMA
ehy i'm the only one with still a voodoo2??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

Yes. :p
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Fry_Day

Just a small note, the Radeon 9000/9000 Pro are based on the 8500 core, while the 7500 is based on the original Radeon, so the families would be:
Radeon / Radeon 7500
Radeon 8500/8500LE/9000/9000Pro
Radeon 9500/9700
(9500 is a bumped-down 9700 that hasn't been really announced yet)

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Kazan
BTW the 9700 hands ever other video card in existance it's ass... i just gotta get a powerful enough CPU and fast enough AGP bus [im still running 2x] to utilize a card like that

:nod:Yeah, that's what I want. Supports DirectX9, is able to beat the GF4Ti4600 by 200% in some situations with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering on and has videoshader, nice feature to enchance video quality, and a lot more... :)

Check out the Anandtech preview, it's pretty good, and there is also Hardocp preview, which doesn't have that tech talk, just performance...

I like this part from Hardocp review, "Last, but certainly not least, a benchmark we don’t use as it is made by NVIDIA, tweaked by NVIDIA, and configured for NVIDIA hardware, the Chameleon demo. At 1600x1200, the Radeon 9700 doubled the Ti4600 scores. "

:lol:

Edit:
Originally posted by Fry_Day
(9500 is a bumped-down 9700 that hasn't been really announced yet)

But confirmed. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2002, 12:58:52 pm by 665 »

Offline Fry_Day

Just wait till the competing product reaches the market (NV30), since the prices are still outrageously high (400$), and there's nothing like competition to lower prices, and besides, nVidia have their own bag of tricks.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
TNT2

I had one of them until recently. They kick ass, was still letting me play Max Payne and other stuff with the options at half. When I bought it (many moons) ago everyone was telling me to get a voodoo 3. Sure glad I didnt get one of those pieces of crap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2002, 01:48:22 pm by 848 »

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Fry_Day
Just wait till the competing product reaches the market (NV30), since the prices are still outrageously high (400$), and there's nothing like competition to lower prices, and besides, nVidia have their own bag of tricks.

True, but NV30 might be coming new year or at the end of this year, and I can't wait so long as I have integrated graphics and Celeron 466MHz...:)

Offline Fry_Day

Another thing: Never buy the most advanced graphics card. You always end up wasting money. Go for a Radeon 9000 Pro or GeForce 4 Ti4200, which cost less than half, and will work with just about anything in the upcoming year in max detail, and by then, something comparable to the Radeon 9700 should cost perhaps the same as your current card when you bought it, and you'd be saving money

Edit: That is unless you are buying a dream-machine or something. I'm assuming you don't have an endless source of money, by your current machine

Offline Redfang

Blah... I at least once want a good computer... and Radeon 9000 Pro is slow.

You might be right, but having good parts in computer is not a waste of money always, as you can wait longer before you need to upgrade, and if you buy a high-end part when it is released it can surely run all games at very high resolutions with max details and AA and AF on. :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
fry is wrong
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Voodoo 3 with 32MB and 256 VRAM
I`ll stick with it, the Vram cuts does seem to reduce stepping:)
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought