Author Topic: Splodges  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Ok, i don't know if this has been mentioned, but would it be possible to have the option to remove those grey splodges you see floating in space? They don't move, they only seem to rotate, maybe a pocket of gas? I only started to notice it when testing a pitch black nebula, that actually looked good until I saw these spinning grey bits.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
thats a table thing. look in stars.tbl
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
What are they supposed to be anyway? Space debris left over from the X-Wing era?
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
.......... Space debris left over from the X-Wing era?

:lol:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline The Shadow

• Machinist
They're there to give the illusion of movement, ya can see then zoom past ya as you fly, without them and any other refenrece point it dosn't look like your moving.
Insane in every single way.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Originally posted by PhReAk
thats a table thing. look in stars.tbl

Ah yes, I see.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
mabey just improve the ani. the current ones look fake. way to jerky. same for the gas ones.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral
mabey just improve the ani. the current ones look fake. way to jerky. same for the gas ones.

They are only about 3 frames and simple colors. There are hundreds of these on screen, any more complex and the game will lag horrably.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What about doing it IW2 style? (sort of) and placing white dots in place of the current anis. Thus the effect of speed will be maintained... it might look ****e though.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Thunder
What about doing it IW2 style? (sort of) and placing white dots in place of the current anis. Thus the effect of speed will be maintained... it might look ****e though.

it would, yeah, Iwar2 don't exactly uses white dots :p
SCREW CANON!

Green dots (like computer green) would work well. I like the current system though.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by vadar_1

They are only about 3 frames and simple colors. There are hundreds of these on screen, any more complex and the game will lag horrably.

not if they're kept simple, i mean just makeing each frame "flow" on from the last a bit better. at the moment they jerk just a bit to much (the gas one especially)
BTW, there are 8 frames and greyscale colours in the debris and 5 frames & greyscale for the gas :)
just to clarafy :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
True Venom, true ;)

Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##
Green dots (like computer green) would work well. I like the current system though.

That'd be good - but even better if we could tie it into the HUD color selection screen so it could look like the HUD was adding the dots for motion effect assitance, instead of them just being green when nothing else on the HUD is...

Would it help performance if I get rid of them?? (No wait don't!!) too late.. :(  I'm so damn impulsive I can't wait!) I'll let you know how it comes out :nervous:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IIRC you can remove their display via the Options panel - it's the Debris detail level - lower it all the way, and no more twitching bits of TIE fighter. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Xers

Originally posted by Sandwich
IIRC you can remove their display via the Options panel - it's the Debris detail level - lower it all the way, and no more twitching bits of TIE fighter. :D

Really? I thought that was the detail options for the chunks you see when you make ships go kablooie.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Xers

Really? I thought that was the detail options for the chunks you see when you make ships go kablooie.

Hmm... Perhaps, I'm not completely sure.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Thunder
That'd be good - but even better if we could tie it into the HUD color selection screen so it could look like the HUD was adding the dots for motion effect assitance, instead of them just being green when nothing else on the HUD is...
if we did it this way, we could arrange the points in a "cubic lattice", each point 100m apart in the X, Y, and Z dimensions, fading out 1 or 2km away.  That would make it more "computer generated" looking and still give the feeling of moving.  

It might make it look like TRON though ;)
your source code slave