Author Topic: November 2014 Screencap Contest  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: November 2014 Screencap Contest
Well... Mystery Project won two times, but You have no idea what it is so it's not depending that much on the story that it tells. As long as it fits into month's theme, and do it in unusual way, even some random ships with random nebulae may won. Work like this is not common. People prefer to take screenshots in released mods, and there are just few mods as visually pretty as WiH.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Axem

I would really not want to see rules placed on what content is allowed (monthly theme restrictions aside). If someone wants to use the screenshot contest with unreleased ships to plug their mod, they can go right ahead. (Hear that BWO members? ;7) If someone wants to model, map and texture a ship with the sole purpose of winning the contest, well, go right ahead. (I just hope it was worth the effort to win a badge for a month!)

This contest is about showing that FreeSpace isn't just some old game from 1999, its very close to being on par with current gen engines. This is why the primordial rule for the contest is "untouched in-engine screenshots only", and that I think makes the playing field as level as it can be.

Offline Luis Dias

As for BP, I think it's often used because it's a good looking and well made mod. It comes with great models and beautiful scenery. I'd argue that it gives the unskilled an easy way to create beautiful screens without having to create new stuff. It's easy to make good screenshots with BP as compared to other mods, so of course it's going to be used often.

I'm willing to bet that when / if you release BtA, the number of screenshots won by your mod will dwarf anyone else's. BP is quite nice looking, but I do think your mod has the best look I've seen so far in FSO, except perhaps for Diaspora.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well shucks. Now I'm blushing.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Well, keep blushing, 'cause I'm quoting it for truth:
BP is quite nice looking, but I do think your mod has the best look I've seen so far in FSO

Offline Mpez

As for BP, I think it's often used because it's a good looking and well made mod. It comes with great models and beautiful scenery. I'd argue that it gives the unskilled an easy way to create beautiful screens without having to create new stuff. It's easy to make good screenshots with BP as compared to other mods, so of course it's going to be used often.
QFT (again! darn it...) BP has a lot of good quality models and both sides of the conflict, which makes it a favourite for me when making screenies. However, the models are one thing, the framing, effects etc. are another.

E.g. if you look at one of my screens

Without the (ingame) effects and with different framing it doesn't look as good.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
love that karuna

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Just a reminder - BP is not only mod with cool assets.

Okay, time for something from me. This month: Earth Defence

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.