Author Topic: Secondary Beams (IDEA)  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by vadar_1

Then whats the point? Beam weapons were meant to be fired while the ship is travelling at maybe 15-20 m/s tops, not 90m/s while in a full swing turn and a barrel roll. Besides, if the targeting laser has told us anything, its that beams are hard as hell to aim while moving, just drop the damn idea.
Yeah, but it's fun as hell to try with the Thor, the modified targeting laser in SHaS. Just get behind the Basilisk, aim your crosshairs, and let it rip!
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline LAMBO

Why not have every kind of weapon possible?  I'm looking forward to crazy stuff like beam bombs in a few years.

If something is relatively easily doable with the source (such as the fighter-beams) than it may as well be enabled.  If someone is worried about balance issues, then only play missions/mods that don't have fighter beams.

Even if nothing else, there are mods that WILL have use for beam weapons on fighter (Babylon Project etc.), so there's no reason to not make it possible for modders/FREDders to do.

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I'm looking forward to crazy stuff like beam bombs in a few years.

Thats standard practice in the Honor Harrington series of books :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I, for one, think we shouldn't just make secondaries that act as primaries, but give primaries their own size limitations... I mean, what competition is there, really, when you can have a choice between an equal number of Kaysers and Subaches?

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
hmmm, they're energy weapons?

i think the idea of possible limits on primaries is a good idea, particularly the maxim as it is a mass accelerator, at the same time, i think the option should be available to make come primaries limitless.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Hey, Lt. I assume you love Wraith Squadron! :D:D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
hey heres a good idea, why dont we just give fighters super-ultra weapons that kills everything on the screen, its not like we havn't ruined fs2 already with your incredably stupid ideas.
Why dont you just mount a Shivan BFRed (now it seems like its a cliched term, thanks fellahs, I dont even need to tell you what type of weapon it is.) on an Ursa. Theres your damn fighter beam, its unrealistic, but who cares?

calm blue oceans... calm blue oceans...
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
have you played the fighter beams I made?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
here, and look at the damage rate

$Name:                                  fighter beam
+Title:                                 XSTR("fighter beam", 3306)
+Description:
XSTR(
"", 3307)
$end_multi_text
+Tech Description:
XSTR(
"", 3308)
$end_multi_text
$Model File:               none
@Laser Bitmap:               newglo6
@Laser Color:               190, 150, 250
@Laser Length:               10.0
@Laser Head Radius:            0.90
@Laser Tail Radius:            0.30
$Mass:                          0.2
$Velocity:                      450.0         
$Fire Wait:                     0.2            
$Damage:                        3
$Armor Factor:               0.9
$Shield Factor:               0.7
$Subsystem Factor:            1.3
$Lifetime:                      0.0            
$Energy Consumed:            0.20         
$Cargo Size:               0.0            
$Homing:                        NO
$LaunchSnd:                     115            
$ImpactSnd:                     27            
$Flags:                         ("beam" "player allowed")
$Icon:                                 iconKayser
$Anim:                                 Kayser
$Impact Explosion:              ExpMissileHit1
$Impact Explosion Radius:       3.0
$BeamInfo:                              
   +Type:                  2            
   +Life:                    0.0            
   +Warmup:                 0            
   +Warmdown:               0            
   +Radius:                 1.0            
   +PCount:               0            
   +PRadius:               0            
   +PAngle:               0.0            
   +PAni:                  particleexp01   
   +Miss Factor:            0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0         
   +BeamSound:               115            
   +WarmupSound:            0            
   +WarmdownSound:            0            
   +Muzzleglow:            thrusterglow01   
   +Shots:                  0            
   +ShrinkFactor:            0.0         
   +ShrinkPct:               0.0         
   $Section:                        
      +Width:               0.75            
      +Texture:            beam-white      
      +RGBA Inner:         255 255 55 255   
      +RGBA Outer:         150 150 150 10   
      +Flicker:            0.1            
      +Zadd:               2.0            
   $Section:                        
      +Width:               1.25         
      +Texture:            beam-dblue2      
      +RGBA Inner:         160 160 0 255   
      +RGBA Outer:         60 60 0 10      
      +Zadd:               1.0            
   $Section:                        
      +Width:               1.5            
      +Texture:            beam-dblue      
      +RGBA Inner:         255 0 0 255      
      +RGBA Outer:         60 0 0 10      
      +Zadd:               0.0            
   $Section:                        
      +Width:               1.6         
      +Texture:            beam-green2      
      +RGBA Inner:         160 160 0 255   
      +RGBA Outer:         60 60 0 10      
      +Flicker:            0.4         
      +Zadd:               1.0
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and honestly the only thing that would make this a better choice than some Kays would be it's sheild piercing abilitys (wich someone along the line will fix), wich makes it mostly usefull againces some lightly armored targets, wich are generaly fast and agile, and if a ship gets more than 500m away it is hard to hit. and it drains energy dry in about a second, fighter mounted beams can only bea a good thing, they add an entirly new aspect to the gameplay.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by vadar_1
hey heres a good idea, why dont we just give fighters super-ultra weapons that kills everything on the screen, its not like we havn't ruined fs2 already with your incredably stupid ideas.
Why dont you just mount a Shivan BFRed (now it seems like its a cliched term, thanks fellahs, I dont even need to tell you what type of weapon it is.) on an Ursa. Theres your damn fighter beam, its unrealistic, but who cares?

If you had read this thread at all, you would have noticed that no matter how stupid a weapon may seem to you, some people will find use for it. This "beam bomb" someone mentioned could work pretty dang well as a special sort of mine that the player can lay.

No-one has said we should put BFred:s on Ursas, and most importantly, _these weapons will not necessarily be used in Freespace universe, but possibly in a mod_. If we can do something, why not try it?
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

You know, while we're busy not doing stuff, we could not touch the planetary stuff as this is a SPACE sim, our fighters weren't meant for atmospheric combat.  Adding the ability for a FREDer to make a planetary-based combat misison would COMPLETEY ruin my experience with FS2.

Also, that 60km box - keep it, nobody touch it.  It was put there for a reason.  If it's moved, adjusted, expanded, contorted, or otherwise tweaked, play balance will be horribly wrecked.

Those subspace bombs we were thinking about?  They're too much of a potential super-super-superweapon...they'll wreck gameplay too if the engine supports their use.

NOTE: All of the above was written in a highly sarcastic tone.  I actually support the addition/modification of all of the above (along with fighter beams).  Though I agree with Vadar, a BFRed would be somewhat destabilizing to the game when mounted on an Ursa, simply having a "beam" weapon mounted on a fighter is not going to affect the playing experience in any way.  I realize that no player will be forced into using the beams, and no FREDder will be required to use or even allow them in their missions.  I also realize that what we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME.  By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMEs (such as The Babylon Project, etc.)

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
lol, usually, I'm not think minded, but it was a good idea to mention you were sarcarstic :lol:
The only thing I'm kindda against is removing the shield pircing for the beams. enable/disable ok ( a tbl tag maybe, that could be given to any weapon would be neat in fact ). But removing it, please not. But still, i read Tned's first sentence, and I suppose I needn't worry for a long time...
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by venom2506
But still, i read Tned's first sentence, and I suppose I needn't worry for a long time...

I assume you mean "While we're busy not doing stuff...."?  Actually, that wasn't what I meant by that, as there ARE people working on these things (DTP and Bob are both doing some good stuff with the source), I meant that as a retort to vadar_1 who felt that just because something had the potential to be misused, it shouldn't be allowed.  (-:

Your interpretation of it works too, though.  [grin]  (Assuming I interpreted your interpretation right)

--TurboNed

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well im totally shocked.....in so many ways that its indescribable.

In any case, I LIKE what Bobboau has done here and the attention to balance that he has observed.  Even if half of you can't see it...
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by LtNarol
wanna know what i think? i think vBB shoulda stayed so all the newbies and trolls would stay there and not come here

Are you talking to me? My little smilies will kill you!
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by IceFire
Well im totally shocked.....in so many ways that its indescribable.

In any case, I LIKE what Bobboau has done here and the attention to balance that he has observed.  Even if half of you can't see it...

you know, some people just love to complain and be against everything new. just ignore them.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
Damn, I've never seen a group of friends break up over a few measely fighter beams before. It's a matter of opinion. If someone wants to put tiny beams on a fighter, let them. If someone wants to spend 200+ hours turning the game into 800x640, let them. If you don't like it, don't get it.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Red5

• http://www.roughnecks.org
I think we should create phasers!
This is my signature