Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - June 2014  (Read 11724 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: HLP Newsletter - June 2014
But that's what happens, you see an image and you build a narrative around the image the second you see it. Some of them are more "obvious" than others but that's inherently subjective and dependent to your own particular baggage that you bring with yourself. I played Derelict, Sync, Transcend and all those old FS2 mods that shared that look and dread sufficient times that this emotion is what pops into my mind when I see this jpeg.

There is no such thing as "inherent interpretation". Interpretation always requires work from the reader, what is probably annoying you is that this work you are required to do here is conscious, you are aware of it, while in others you don't need to be aware of it, your unconscious brain does it "for you". But that's merely the product of experience with this emotion within the FS2 universe. To me, it was immediate, I didn't need to "rationalize it" before you asked to.

Offline Lorric

But that's what happens, you see an image and you build a narrative around the image the second you see it. Some of them are more "obvious" than others but that's inherently subjective and dependent to your own particular baggage that you bring with yourself. I played Derelict, Sync, Transcend and all those old FS2 mods that shared that look and dread sufficient times that this emotion is what pops into my mind when I see this jpeg.

There is no such thing as "inherent interpretation". Interpretation always requires work from the reader, what is probably annoying you is that this work you are required to do here is conscious, you are aware of it, while in others you don't need to be aware of it, your unconscious brain does it "for you". But that's merely the product of experience with this emotion within the FS2 universe. To me, it was immediate, I didn't need to "rationalize it" before you asked to.
Well, I haven't played any of those (I have played a few missions of Derelict and watched the whole thing let's played though.) They're all on my eventual to-do list.

Maybe it was immediate for mjn too, it just made that immediate impression and the best impression and that's why it won. To me it was just a Deimos and some asteroids. It's all subjective.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice one as always.  Posed to FB and Reddit
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
that star destoyer is intimidating
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, Star Destroyers are probably the best destroyer-sized ships ever designed in Hollywood, they are so elegant, old fashioned yet sleek and futuristic, never looking kitsch, never boring to look at, powerful and menacing, ww2 old warship-like but with a beautiful modern arrow outline, large flat surfaces bezeled with incredibly detailed ridges at the end... I could go on and on and on homaging it. I think the whole Star Wars saga owes this design much of its success. Criss Foss's design is all over it except the colors which were forgotten to the always superior white...

All hail the Imperial Star Destroyer!

The only thing to ever puzzle me about the Star Destroyer was how this huge ship could match the speed of the millenium falcon which is suppose to be one of the fastest ships out there. It was weird to me.
Huge ships shouldn't match speeds with the smaller ships.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Luis Dias

It couldn't match the Falcon in hyperspace. That ship was in bad shape in the whole ESB though...

I'm more talking outside of hyperspace, it could keep up with it, in ANH you had it pursued by two ISDs, which gives flashbacks of Family Guy and the Listing lazily to the left.

Offline Luis Dias

Well it's space! so that never bothered me. And according to wookipedia, while the Falcon boasts a 1050km/h speed (atm conditions), the ISD II almost matches it with 975.

I guess in a vacuum the weight makes no difference therefore those gigantic engines on its back end could propel it to high speeds.
Still something that puzzles me regardless.
Really in the end its a movie, artistic license rules all.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A jumbo jet can take a microlite easily IN atmosphere ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I guess in a vacuum the weight makes no difference therefore those gigantic engines on its back end could propel it to high speeds.

In vacuum you still have mass and inertia.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah, straight line speeds could easily be comparable, acceleration + manoeuvrability are another story.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

In vacuum you still have mass and inertia.

Well there goes any hope that I had an understanding of space physics [good thing I'm a biologist]  :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well there goes any hope that I had an understanding of space physics [good thing I'm a biologist]  :yes:

It's also worth noting that you don't need to be in space to have a vacuum. :p

It's also worth noting that you don't need to be in space to have a vacuum. :p

Like a Vacuum Cleaner  :D
But thanks for rubbing it in Goobs
I think I will stay away from physics and just FRED or you know study, cause thats what uni students should do during the exam period

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
or you know study, cause thats what uni students should do during the exam period
wait! you sure? so that's what i've been doing wrong all those years!
but browsing the HLP is much more fun :/
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Study usually consists of mostly HLP browsing than physical study for me too, especially when Axem puts one of his shiny newsletters up  :D