Author Topic: 3D Cockpits  (Read 10340 times)

Originally posted by madaboutgames
Just a quick one - Is it possible for me to design a 3d model of a cockpit view which can be used to overlay the internal view during game??

design it, make a bit of photoshopping to show us how it would look, wait till after 3.6, and hope some coder wants to implement it........
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
sure will, which ever mod you use for freespace.  I think it looks better and is more atmospheric with an internal cockpit view, whether it is Star Wars or B5.  Im sure everyone will agree, it adds atmosphere (and eye candy)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

well, don't start a discussion just yet......

do a search on 3d cockpits, in the FS mod forum as well, it is one of the most discussed things for FSO.

aside from GeoModding that is.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
sure will, which ever mod you use for freespace.  I think it looks better and is more atmospheric with an internal cockpit view, whether it is Star Wars or B5.  Im sure everyone will agree, it adds atmosphere (and eye candy)

:lol:
I like you already :D
But yeah, I suggest you do as Kasperl said, do a search about 3d cockpits, first :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
Your not kidding, so im not alone in thinking its a good idea;)
I will design the cockpit for the star fury in the next couple of days (I am a 3d modeller)   visit www.shaunsgallery.co.uk  (it hasnt been updated in a while, ive been really busy with my game shop, but It will be updated next week.  Some of my pictures are still available for free download.

I was also giving a lot of thought to the critisisms in the forums about a cockpit view.  The HUD is the only major problem which could make it or kill it.  My idea (star fury cockpit) could be combined with the Hud.  As others said we can get away with parts of the Hud, because in the episodes of B5, the pilots HUD is viewed from the helmet.  In the series it shows a small segment at the bottom of the cockpit where you see a wireframe view of the ships in view.  This could be replaced with the radar, although not accurate it would be funcional.  It would probably take a bit of work with the code, unfortunatley I havnt a clue about code, almost anything else yes, but code is not my bag.
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JarC

Your not kidding, so im not alone in thinking its a good idea;)
I will design the cockpit for the star fury in the next couple of days (I am a 3d modeller)
here's some reference images...

http://www.descent-freespace.com/goodies/gallery/cockpit/
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Nico

• Venom
The starfury cockpit is not quite like the apollo one :p
SCREW CANON!

:Welcome:

Someone give the opening phrase...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the thing about 3d cockpits is, no body wants to implement them (ie none of the coders like them) if a coder comes along who wants to implement it, they will be welcome to, but untill such time no body wants to do it, and we have better things to do, like getting 3.6 out already.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Exits are to the left, right, and back.  You will find a flamethrower under you seat, but seeing as we are a non-profit forum, we can't afford flammable liquids, and the flamethrowers are loaded with water or cool refreshing Sierra Mist.  You can either bludgeon people with them or try to get to the weapon lockers where you can try to find a good ol' shotgun.  Stay out of the Admin weapon lockers, or you will be pwned.  

If you happen to find yourself in the airvents, watch out for shivans.  If you see a shivan, just forget the shotgun,( that only makes them mad), and offer it some meat.  If it's Carl, then you can just back away and leave as quickly as possible, If it's not Carl, then... well, hope that it's Carl.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i threw around some ideas for 3d cockpits, but some people were arguing over petty issues (as always :rolleyes: ) and nobody commented on them

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22630.msg445809.html#msg445809

:welcome:
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
They could always be like the WCP 3D cockpits...they didn't really serve any particular purpose EXCEPT that they gave each ship a particular feel to them (thus increasing your identification with the vessel you were flying) and the directional lighting changed as you flew around so the shadows would play across your cockpit...

We can probably do the same thing with FS2...
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nico

• Venom
I just thought about something: we have a "third person view", now, right? well, I played around with my ezechiel and view, and you know what, when I managed to fit the view right in my copilots cockpit ( wasn't easy... ), it fitted perfectly ( well, with FOV set at 0.39, at least ). The maps on my cckpit are reasonably high res, the only thing I'd need would be to remove the HUD which is in the way ( edit: the one I placed in the model, heh, not the actual HUD, I prefer to point out, just in case... ).
If someone would be kind enough to implement the exact same view as that third person view ( well almost, don't need the swinging obviously ), but placed on the viewpoint of the ship, I'm sure that would work, the HUD would just be overlayed over the cockpit mesh.
Pretty please? That can't be that long to do, you folks made the external view with the swinging camera and all!

edit2: and I mean after the 3.6 release, of course, before somebody screams "code freeze!" at me :doubt:

oh, screenshot:

Obviously I didn't use the same piece of map to put on the two HUD arms, so the right one is still visible.
Of course, the cockpit map is blurry, the original idea was not to be used in a close up view. That said, the view is too close, you see aproximately half the instrument panel, couldn't get a better view ( external view zooms in/out too fast ).
But you can see it fits well, there's no performance hit at all, btw, it's really a handful of polys there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 03:45:07 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
well if you can make a simple cockpit POF, something like a couple of support struts as a test, I'd likely whip up a test to see how it looks.  All this after 3.6 of course :)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
Same as I thought.  After the new chase view in the new builds, which is great.  I think it would be possible to build a low poly cockpit (should be finished by Mon) which would be like the chase view except an internal cockpit view.  This cockpit could be a lot larger than the viewable screen and with restrictions could move about relative to the player movement.  Becuase this is a poly 3d cockpit it could also make excellent use of the spec maps and ligting.  Parts of the HUD eg . weapon & fuel energy, radar and other vitals could be intergrated onto the cockpit.

You will understand more when i have finished the cockpit and screens are avialable.
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline Nico

• Venom
Well, the fact that my idea uses the whole ship has one advantage: you can have padlock, and when you turn the head, you can see the wings of your fighter, etc :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sticks

Like I have said in times past, I have every plan to implement a 3d cockpit post 3.6

I will need a good one, though.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Nico

• Venom
Why do you need a good one? If the idea is to be trashed after a couple tries, like hell somebody would spend his time making a good test cockpit.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nico, your idea for a cockpit view is very appealing, and all the more with the panning and seeing the rest of your fighter. That would rock. In fact, it would be a totally free view, wouldn't it? That would be just right. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.