Author Topic: Will stencil shadows ever make a come back?  (Read 4443 times)

Will stencil shadows ever make a come back?
I'm still on a mad endeavor to get the BSG look as good as the 3dsmax renders INGAME. So i plopped the model in Bob's last stencil shadow build. Despite absolute black shadow ambience... let the pics speak for themselves.

This is just a plea for aethestic perfection :) . From material shaders to stencil shadows to pixel shaders.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Re: Will stencil shadows ever make a come back?
NYraaaaaaaaargh. That looks really ****ing good. I second this plea, although I daresay that if it's Bob that's going to make it, we should let him finish the material system. Although, I'd be all for some other programmer trying it out...*winkwink*
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is precisely the reason that I'm not a fan of Bobboau releasing WIP builds. :doubt:

Answer: No, not in the forseeable future.

Well, this thread was not meant to rally the masses to the SCP doorstep to make demands. I just want to remind u geniouses how pretty shadows look.  :)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I agree shadows add some more atmosphere and realism to the game. I realy liked the first prototyps of the shadow coding and hope it will be finished someday.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
not anytime soon, but I have been makeing changes with this, as well as many other things in mind, it will happen one day, but that day is currently not forseeable.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
how's all that shader business coming along anyways?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
As long as they will be their in my gameing days...or as long as their are OS/PC you can FS2 with...it will be ok ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the materials system hit a huge snag due to the BSP format not being flexable enough for diferent vertex formats to be used, so I've spent what little codeing time I've had over the last few months fixing this (completly rewriteing the BSP code from scratch), with school over and me haveing the last few days mostly to code, I'v made major progress on this front and now have gotten models to render again (also resorting of geometry will be a snap (important for alpha blending) and there is also a neighbor index for every polygon wich will make decal code faster and easier, and it's been structured to make the shadow code work well when I get around to implementing it). I also have redone most of the HTL code and made a number of classes for manageing vertex and index buffer functionality, as well as generaly organiseing everything better. the basic materials system is in place, but I need to rewrite almost every bit of graphics code to follow the new systems. for one thing rather than simply haveing a texture and drawing a polygon everything will now need a list of textures (and pertenent data about them) as well as a material instance. I'm going to have a section in the materials table for defineing wich material gets used for hard coded effects, as well as the ability to override this default in any instance were you may want to (this should allow the use of diferent materials on weapon effects and such, so you could have for instance a weapon that subtractively blends rather than additively). there will be a good bit of rewriteing on what I have to incorporate the scripting system recently included.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 04:53:49 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
im surprised at how much of that i actually understood

well, at least i know something's going on
im sure it will work out great as usual, and it'll be even faster and better looking than before, and we'll have shaders, which will make even more cool stuff possible
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
well the materials system hit a huge snag due to the BSP format not being flexable enough for diferent vertex formats to be used, so I've spent what little codeing time I've had over the last few months fixing this (completly rewriteing the BSP code from scratch), with school over and me haveing the last few days mostly to code, I'v made major progress on this front and now have gotten models to render again (also resorting of geometry will be a snap (important for alpha blending) and there is also a neighbor index for every polygon wich will make decal code faster and easier, and it's been structured to make the shadow code work well when I get around to implementing it). I also have redone most of the HTL code and made a number of classes for manageing vertex and index buffer functionality, as well as generaly organiseing everything better. the basic materials system is in place, but I need to rewrite almost every bit of graphics code to follow the new systems. for one thing rather than simply haveing a texture and drawing a polygon everything will now need a list of textures (and pertenent data about them) as well as a material instance. I'm going to have a section in the materials table for defineing wich material gets used for hard coded effects, as well as the ability to override this default in any instance were you may want to (this should allow the use of diferent materials on weapon effects and such, so you could have for instance a weapon that subtractively blends rather than additively). there will be a good bit of rewriteing on what I have to incorporate the scripting system recently included.

Wow, you did really do much for this feature. I promise you this I'll use this system to enhance FS2 and some mods I work on with this. This much effort shouldn't go to waste.

I truly acknowledge your work.  :yes:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 05:16:50 pm by DaBrain »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hmm, are you going to want predefined variables and operators support Bobb?
-C

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that'd be nice
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
No pressure, of course, but I think it'd be rather nice if ships actually cast real-time light... how far away is that from happening? Like, you know on the fancy new Fenris/Levy, they have the glowmaps... in a shadows build, they would create colored light that would also make shadows at different angles. Sorry if this doesn't sound clear; it makes sense in my head.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Isn't the number of light sources pretty limited in HTL ?

And while we're at it, do beams (and blobs) still illuminate its surroundings ? It seems to be lacking these days or is very hard to see, but I remember that it was much more pronounced when spec mapping was new.

Come to think of it, every primary shot in FS1 emmitted more visible dynamic light than now in FSO, where it's very hard to see.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
AFAIR HTL allows eight hardware lights.

The illumination works, but it needs some care in my oppinion. It neither fades, nor reacts properly to effects measured to the distance and size.

Also, not all effects work with this system. The beams would need several illumination points spread across their whole length.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
AFAIR HTL allows eight hardware lights.

The illumination works, but it needs some care in my oppinion. It neither fades, nor reacts properly to effects measured to the distance and size.

Also, not all effects work with this system. The beams would need several illumination points spread across their whole length.

Wouldn't it be better if the beam was just one big illumination point, if that's possible?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think illumination points have to be just that - points.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
currently beams are modeled as a point light at the closest point along the length to the object being lit, in order to do it properly we will need shaders.

the maximum lights that can posably be used at a time is 8, for many of you this might very well be a smaller number, but we have it codded so it will do as many as it can at a time adding light each time.

the reason lighting seems to be not getting applied is because most lights get culled out. this is sort of a bug, sort of not.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
the reason lighting seems to be not getting applied is because most lights get culled out. this is sort of a bug, sort of not.

Well, if there's ever a chance of it being reworked, that would be great. I really liked the look of that:

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea