Author Topic: SCP rock vid WIP  (Read 10581 times)

Offline Rake

• http://www.strategyplanet.com/starmada/weapons
So, there I was playing SCP a couple days ago getting screenshots with Fraps, recording at 10 fps for no reason at all like always (this is why I made vids for a bunch of other games but never FS), when I suddenly realized something: it was recording at the 15 fps I set it to run at.

Curious, I set it to 30 (or 25 or whatever), and tried again, and it recorded at that speed as well. "OMG!," is a decent translation of my thoughts at that moment.  :)

Evidently, this is due to something in SCP, since IIRC Fraps still doesn't work with normal FS2.

Anyway, I restarted the campaign, ran in Open GL so the shockwaves wouldn't destroy my framerate, and started recording at 40 fps, 640X480, 6xAA/16xAF. One night and 16 missions later , I had this WIP:

SCP rock video - WIP1

Now, this vid's file size is disproportionately large given its image quality (it's a dev build *shrug*), but I think you can make out enough to get what the vid is like.

I gave up vid creation a month ago, but I've wanted to make an FS vid since the beginning and was never able to. Now that I am, I think I'll just splurge before going into retirement again. Either way, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it, so here it is.  :p

It's obviously rough as hell, but it's one day's work so I'm not gonna sweat it. Ignoring that, what do ya think?

*added - Vid complete, WIP deleted. Links:

Torrent (96 MB)
Google Video stream
My Space stream
You Tube stream
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:05:00 am by Rake »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Evidently, this is due to something in SCP, since IIRC Fraps still doesn't work with normal FS2.

If you mean retail, it was built on DX5.  IIRC FRAPS requires DX8 or DX9.

What codec did you use?

Offline Rake

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"the file is here:
download the file>click to download the file>select the file to down looad>down load this file>the file will down load...once you click here>would you like to download this file>the file for downloading>waiting for file>the file is ready to download>download file now>server error, select another file<<<download the file>downloading>would you like to download this file?>downloading file>the file can now be downloaded>click to download>downloading>here it is>just kidding it's here> realy I'm not ****ting you any more this is it>HA! fooled you again! but realy here it is> bahahahah>ok, this is starting to get old for me too I'll give it to you now>OMG you'r so freaking gulable>eh, alright, select a server to download from>starting download>prepairing to download>click to download>downloading>conecting at 8kbps!>download complete>would you like to open the file>oppening file>connecting to media>don't know the codec>downloading codec>failed to download codec>WMP doesn't like you>deleteing file"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:35:58 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
 :lol:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Due to the extreme suckiness of filefront, I'm abusing my uni account for hosting.

Clickety

The video shows much potential, the camera movement and the cuts are neat :yes:  The music is nothing for my tastes, but fits the video pretty good.

Only 2 gripes:

1) The compression is horrible. Use a higher bitrate, and multi-pass encoding if possible

2) The ships are all very bright and seemingly unshaded. Are you using -spec and -glow ? Maybe reduce the ambient factor.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Rake

Due to the extreme suckiness of filefront, I'm abusing my uni account for hosting.

Clickety

FileFront sucks? Damnit, it's always worked quite well for me.  :(

Thx for the host though.

1) The compression is horrible. Use a higher bitrate, and multi-pass encoding if possible

I said as much up front.

2) The ships are all very bright and seemingly unshaded. Are you using -spec and -glow ? Maybe reduce the ambient factor.

I am using -spec and -glow, it simply doesn't show up because the FS2 campaign wasn't designed for it. I expect it will become a major point when I start playing through campaigns like Derelict, which take it into account (or so I assume).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
-spec and -glow show up just fine if you play with the media VPs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rake

-spec and -glow show up just fine if you play with the media VPs.

Which I am also using. Heck, the very first shot of the vid shows reflections on the Deimos and the Perseus cockpit.

I am certainly willing to entertain the possibility that I've got it set up wrong (I am brand new to using SCP, afterall), but I've got everything relevent checked in the loader. I'm not going to lower the light level if I don't have to, as I like being able to see the other ships (both in-game and in the final vid, a point I've seen ignored time and time again), but I'll do so if it becomes necessary.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That's lookin' pretty good.  The choice of music realy suits the fast-paced nature of the video, though I can't say I'm familiar with it.  My only concern is the abrupt ending.  It might have done well to end it perhaps with the Colossus blowing the hell out of the Repulse, then using the explosion of the destroyer sort of white-out the screen and fade to black from that.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
After how awesome Fusillade and Flail turned out (and I'm really glad Hunter decided to host them), I'm glad you're giving the vid-making business one more shot before you retire.  Very nice work. :)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
-ambient_factor 0
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Rake

My only concern is the abrupt ending.

That's just as far as I'd gotten before having to go to bed that night. The final vid will run 4:50 or so.

After how awesome Fusillade and Flail turned out (and I'm really glad Hunter decided to host them), I'm glad you're giving the vid-making business one more shot before you retire.  Very nice work. :)

Thanks.

BTW, Flail Descent and the full Fusillade suite are also hosted at FileFront now, for what that's worth (apparently far less then I thought).

Fusillade

Flail Descent

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
-ambient_factor 0

While I wouldn't put it quite that low it does work wonders at 75-85.

Actually when I tried capturing some BSG footage with FRAPS I also saw the same sort of thing. Have you adjusted the gamma away from the default (Either from the windows control panel or from FS2 itself)?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Rake, this movie is great. As far as I'm concerned you've done an amazing job across the board and come up with an incredible showboat for all the good work done by the SCP and MediaVP team. The only problem I forsee is that you're going to have everyone asking you to make one of these things for their particular mod! On that note, please make one for TBP :D.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. I did mean to say that apart from the lack of the Shine and Glowmaps it was pretty close to perfect. Do you see them when you play the game I wonder?

Offline Rake

The only problem I forsee is that you're going to have everyone asking you to make one of these things for their particular mod! On that note, please make one for TBP :D.

Bleh, I'd be willing if people wanted vids in this format. Trailers are different, and require far more effects editing (text and such) that is just the chore to end all chores (I do it all frame by frame with Photoshop *Gag*).

If you want pointless vids that are somewhat cool, then I'm game. If you want actual trailers, it could prove troublesome. This is the only one I've ever made, and while I thought the sequences and shots and such were decent, the text effects and such fell flat.

Do you see them when you play the game I wonder?

I see them occasionally. Last night in the mission where the Colossus kills the Sathanas, for instance, the yellow glow on the C was pretty bright. Instances like that are somewhat rare, though.

I'm planning to go back through the game for select fights and run them through with the lower light levels and see if I can get specific shots where the glow looks nice.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Bleh, I'd be willing if people wanted vids in this format. Trailers are different,

Actually yes. If you ever do one for TBP do it in exactly that format. i love that there's no cheesy voice over or text. Just well editted, fast paced, honest to god action and good music. If you ever want to do one using the TBP:Raider Wars campaign give me a couple of days warning and I'll update it to the latest version of the mod. In the mean time finish the retail campaign movie. I want to see how it ends  :yes:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Rake

Whelp, the vid is done, as far as getting footage and synching it to the song and all is concerned. I still need to fade in the first shot and put the SCP logo and credits on top of the last one, and then create the vid again using the full detail clips. This shouldn't take more then a day or so, though.

Thus, I have two requests:

1. Is there an official SCP logo? The one at the start of the BSG mod, for instance, looks official, but they may have just made that up. I don't see any noteworthy logo's on the homepage, either. I can make one up, but I'd rather not spit in the team's face like that. So, is there an official logo, and where can I find it?

2. A full list of credits, as complete as humanly possible, including miscellaneous stuff like all websites that help SCP in any way (SG, for instance). I thought including this at the end would be nice, but if anyone objects I can drop it.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
1) Not certain if it's official but rather than making your own using 2_PreLoadLogo.pcx from mv_core.vp would probably be a good idea :)