Author Topic: Myrmidon Cockpit?  (Read 23348 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Seconded. Hope that cockpitted Myrmidon makes it to the next mediavps or something for that uniform feel. :) :yes:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
What about the Ulysses?  It's another ship that should cockpitted.  It's been around for both FS1 and FS2 like the Hercules.  It would be nice to see the Artemis and Artemis DH cockpitted also.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
INFA has a cp'd Loki and Zeus.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
INFA has a cp'd Loki and Zeus.

VA is htling the loki and has already done the zeus. Both with cockpits.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

What about the Ulysses?  It's another ship that should cockpitted.  It's been around for both FS1 and FS2 like the Hercules.  It would be nice to see the Artemis and Artemis DH cockpitted also.

The Ulysses hasn't been HTL'd yet, for some reason.  Nobody likes a Zod ship, maybe? :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
it would be hard to cp or htl.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I kinda had an inclination to do the Uly, but I cant get the original pof into 3ds format. And I have to do the horus, too.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'm thinking it's to do with the cockpit. Forgive me if I'm wrong though.

My reasoning, well I notice that for those fighters where the pilots seat in the cockpit, those are done. But for unusual designs like the Myrmidon and Ulysses where the cockpit design is "funny", they're not done.

Not sure about the Artemises though, old threads here suggest a HTL one was being made but didn't improve on detail that much. If that's the case, how about doing it the Inferno way as an unguided suggestion - stock mesh, but modified to added a cockpit? Not full HTL, but it still does wonders to make the fleet have a uniform appearance IMHO.

As for Vas fighters... I dunno. Lack of a Vas cockpit mesh? Only designs I like are the Seth and maybe the Serapis (if only for the Maxim cannon) though. :doubt: Hmm... a Seth with a Terran cockpit would look out of place... :wtf: :lol:

My two cents. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Seth is probably the sexiest fighter in the game IMO.

Yes, the ships that are missing cockpits are the ones that use nonstandard/non-Terran cockpits.  Did you work that out on your own?  Many of the Zodlike cockpits are slightly different, so it won't be as simple as making a 'standing' or 'squatting' cockpit and dropping it in.  Until someone cares enough to do it (and make a Zod pilot) they're going to stay cockpit free.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Yes, the ships that are missing cockpits are the ones that use nonstandard/non-Terran cockpits.  Did you work that out on your own?  Many of the Zodlike cockpits are slightly different, so it won't be as simple as making a 'standing' or 'squatting' cockpit and dropping it in.  Until someone cares enough to do it (and make a Zod pilot) they're going to stay cockpit free.

I sense some sarcasm here... :(

But I am aware that it won't be simple on the modeller's part... I can understand the reason why the Vasudan vessels weren't done, hence I'm okay as they are right now. I think the reflect maps do a fair enough justice in brightening up their appearance (at least something was done to improve their overall appearance, instead of nothing being done at all). :)

I'm going to keep my hopes high on the CP'd Myrmidon though. It looks neat from that picture in the earlier page. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

I sense some sarcasm here... :(
I don't...

But I am aware that it won't be simple on the modeller's part... I can understand the reason why the Vasudan vessels weren't done, hence I'm okay as they are right now. I think the reflect maps do a fair enough justice in brightening up their appearance (at least something was done to improve their overall appearance, instead of nothing being done at all). :)

I'm going to keep my hopes high on the CP'd Myrmidon though. It looks neat from that picture in the earlier page. :)

I have, in the past, released the scene file. I know I did because its in a rar file on my drive, too, and I didnt just rar it for no reason. But no one else stepped up and did anything with it, and when I convert models I seem to get an error with shields (though that would probably not be an issue in this case)...

Even if we had cockpits in the Vasudan ships, it would create a complete -nightmare- for campaigns involving a human Alpha 1 (or wingmen) flying a Vasudan craft -- including the main FS2 campaign and a few custom ones. You'd be able to see a Vasudan in the cockpit of a ship that is supposed to be piloted by a Human, and that wouldn't look right.

Plus, the thought of a Seth having a transparent cockpit disturbs the hell out of me. It must not lose that "bug" feel that it has. Putting transparency of any kind on Vasudan cockpits (this includes the Ulysses), in my opinion, will destroy the "alien" feel that they have. Leave them alone. The Vasudans are probably so awesome they use external cameras to provide their pilots with sight, much like the ADF-01 Falken from Ace Combat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AC5Falken.jpg

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So why not set a sexp or somesuch that dictates the actor in the cockpit instead of a fixed model assignation? After all, if there is a model for a terran pilot and a model for a vasudan pilot....

In either case though, does the Myrmidon really require a cockpit that requires a vasudan flying it? Certyainly not for the retail missions, so no vasudan right off the bat isn't going to kill anything.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The closest thing you could do would be change the cockpit map using the alternate texture feature in FRED.  Unfortunately, a Terran-shaped mesh in the cockput that's mapped as a Vasudan looks quite implausible, as does the reverse.  Actually changing the model in the cockpit would require both some new coding, as well as some correspondingly redesigned fighter models, with no pilot in the cockpit.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The closest thing you could do would be change the cockpit map using the alternate texture feature in FRED.  Unfortunately, a Terran-shaped mesh in the cockput that's mapped as a Vasudan looks quite implausible, as does the reverse.  Actually changing the model in the cockpit would require both some new coding, as well as some correspondingly redesigned fighter models, with no pilot in the cockpit.

You're thinking way too complicated. You put in a single cocpit. You put in two pilots. One Vasudan, one Terran. When you need a Terran in there, you map the vasudan mesh with "invisible", and when you need a Vasudan, you map the terran mesh with Invisible. Done.

Offline neoterran

You're thinking way too complicated. You put in a single cocpit. You put in two pilots. One Vasudan, one Terran. When you need a Terran in there, you map the vasudan mesh with "invisible", and when you need a Vasudan, you map the terran mesh with Invisible. Done.

it's a good thing we have people like you on board !
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
idk. Ask the zods why whenever they make a fighter alongside terrans it's always got a frontal facing cockpit, along with other zod fighters having that style of cockpit too. I can see the benefit of doing so. You'd be able to see above you as well as below. As opposed to just standing up the pilot is probably strapped in also, meaning that he probably doesn't have to put too much effort into standing. Besides that, it might be cheaper to develop a cockpit as such, i mean legs are great shock absorbers if you don't have a chair shock absorbing.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

What?  Have you heard of this thing called 'pilot fatigue'?  It'd be retarded if the pilot had to put effort into using his legs as shock absorbers.  How's he use his pedals if he's riding the fighter like a skateboard?  I propose 'seat' technology.

The forward-facing cockpit is bad for reasons of situational awareness... although it must be said most of the 'regular' cockpits on Terran fighters are terrible examples.  For instance, Hercs have no backwards vision and little side vision without instruments.  Trying to justify forward cockpits by saying 'you trade all rearward vision for a little bit of ventral vision' is just broken - many of the forward cockpits don't actually stick forward very far, so you get bugger all down and side vision.  Good thing it's a game and not real dogfighting fighters, since almost all the cockpits are bad. :)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Remember we don't need wide-angle cockpits to see in any direction; we have cameras that look for us... how else can you look behind you in a Herc??

Anyways i was thinking of more of a sit/stand cockpit for the Myrmidon; like sitting on a 45-deg angle. The suit pilots wear probably will let them be partially suspended in the fighter; like hook the knees, hips, back, and shoulders onto the harness of the Myrmidon or Ulysses. A 6-point harness, anyone?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.