Poll

What should be done with the mediavps/retail squad logos?

Remove from mvps
7 (17.5%)
Remove from mvps, add to an optional vp file
17 (42.5%)
Redo, replace in mvps
2 (5%)
Remove from mvps, redo, & add to an optional vp
9 (22.5%)
Leave them in the mvps
5 (12.5%)
Other (write in)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Squad Logos Poll  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The 3.6.10 mediavps came with redone squad logos.

I personally don't care for them, and think they ought to be removed/optionalized. Of course, it might turn out that some of the mediavps versions turn out more popular than others, etc., so...

Samples; left is retail, right is mediavps:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
For reference, the Squadron logos above are as listed:
242nd Suicide Kings
77th Deadly Sevens
134th Barracudas
67th Desperados
53rd Hammerheads
99th Skulls
70th Blue Lions
64th Raptors
107th Ravens
109th Flaming Skulls
Volition Squadron

I'm mostly partial to the 67th, 64th and 109th Logos myself.

And if anyone is curious, I'm the person responsible for them.

And a quote from Galemp on the internal when these were initially proposed:
Hm.

I don't like the Hammerheads or the Barracudas. Since these are supposed to be painted on they should really have a more 'graphic' quality to them, instead of being realistic. The Flaming Skulls and Suicide Kings logos are a good indication of what squad logos should be: bold, with only a few colors.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:28:43 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Rephrase the poll question a little better, please.

In general, I like the retail logos better. I'd say the new 53rd logo has some neat vibes to it, but as a whole the old is better. I'd say that the level of detail on some of the new squad graphics is unfounded, as those same graphics are applied to fighters in-game. Squadron art throughout history tends to be vivid, but only the occasional piece of nose art is detailed to such an extent as, say, the new "Skulls" insignia. For that point alone, retail wins.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I somehow prefer the originals... Which doesn't mean that the MVPs ones are bad, of course. They're just... different.
So I say, remove from mvps, add to an optional vp file.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Originals are a lot better. (IMO)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:47:09 pm by Snail »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aside from the issues Zacam mentioned in his post, I like the new ones better.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The Blue Lions (70th) is the logo that prompted me to make this poll... I liked the original a heck of a lot better.

Some of them are less egregious IMO, but still ought to be in an optional pack, or in separate files unpackaged.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The worst offenders to me are the new Blue Lions, Ravens and Barracudas. Blue Lions in particular. I agree with Aardwolf - I always found that one quite memorable, and the replacement doesn't even approach it. The only ones I like more than the originals are the new Raptors and Flaming Skulls.

The new ones do look nice, but as replacements I think they're misguided.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The old ones should stay. The new ones are nice, but might as well put all that talent into new squad logos, yes?

The new Blue Lions is the only one that made me wince. A valiant effort and some really good-quality graphics, but the originals are better, I think.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
The new logos are good, but I'd still keep the old ones, for the nostalgic touch they give when almost everything else in the game keeps changing (visually).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Can't say I even notice squad logos, so I don't have much of a preference either way. :p The original Blue Lions one is definitely better, though.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
FSU SVN commit has taken place to remove the replacement logos from the MediaVPs.

They might return as Additional logos for non-affiliated squads at a later date.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm all for keeping the originals, as at least a homage/nod to the orignal team.

I freakin love them, at the very least it will match up with the retail command briefing .ANIs.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline -Norbert-

I agree, keep the originals, but you could put in the new ones, for use in multiplayer and custom campaigns.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
how about separate download VPs download one if you want the new logos or if you prefer the old ones download the other or just leave them as is in everyone's core install
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Again, thank you everyone for the feedback. And thank you Aardwolf for posting the poll.

The re-done logos will be provided as non-replacement Additional logos, along with any other submissions other folks feel like making. The main campaign logo's will be converted to DDS as they stand. And since these are small enough, I don't think there will be a problem with keeping them in MV_Core for folks who want to run FSO in a retail-ish like setting but want the fixes it provides.

I do appreciate that everybody liked the quality of the new logos though, but I can see that the idea of them as "replacements" is unsuitable.

¤[D+¬>

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Time and effort to add in a "use old squadron logos" feature in the game engine or something other. Or do something else. This remove from the mvp's and make into a separate mvp is getting sort of retarded.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Or we could use something like this.

I don't think it would be impossible to convert the original designs to 32bit DDS images, which would give the advantage of anti-aliasing to transparency which is to be honest the most aggravating thing in the old logos; they are all great designs.

Personally, I don't consider the logos a matter of grave importance, but it seems majority would prefer the old designs; however I don't think anyone would object if we were to include them in a format that allows smoother transition from transparency to the insignia. Especially those insignias with round or diagonal outlines.

As far as colour depth goes, that's largely a non-issue; insignias would be painted with relatively few colours. Transparency blending, though, is a different matter and would greatly benefit from 8 bit depth as opposed to 1 bit fake alpha on the retail insignias.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Time and effort to add in a "use old squadron logos" feature in the game engine or something other. Or do something else. This remove from the mvp's and make into a separate mvp is getting sort of retarded.

Who said anything about a separate VP? They will still be included in the MediaVP's just no longer as dirrect replacements for the original Retail Logo's.

¤[D+¬>

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I don't think anyone would object if we were to include them in a format that allows smoother transition from transparency to the insignia.
Object? Hell no, that would be the optimal solution :yes: