Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87528 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It needs to be at least this greeble'd:

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
@An4ximandros: That is not good, it's only noise, there's no form or flow. Hades' detailing is complex and beautifull. His modeling skills are put to a good use throughout the front of the ship, in contrast to some lazzy method of "I'll just make senseless bits to make it look detailed".

Now, if no further work is done, I do think the model will look unbalanced and, dare I say, rushed. Although normal maps may help, it seems strange to model every single bit of greeble in the front and use maps for the back. Go for the whole thing or keep it simple, but don't stop inbetween. That been said, let's just wait a bit and see what he'll do.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think An4x was being sarcastic Dagger.
el hombre vicio...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I'm not necessarily in favor of 'greebles' in the sense of random details strapped on to the plates, I'd prefer to see them used to frame the armor plates, much like what was done in the front section.  This could even be as simple as adding a few trenches to space the seam between the distinct sections of the rear carapace.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Let's step back for a second and appreciate the fact that the past several posts have been telling Hades to both add AND take away some greebles. :p

Business as usual in other words.

Offline Luis Dias

Well you know but on the other hand, and while we can say that however...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Rear has a bit more detail overall now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:02:58 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Rear armor thingies are looking great there! Not really sure about the back where there's no details on the two curvy bits, but to be honest I think it looks pretty fine.

Offline Kolgena

Looks great. Ventral surface generally needs more detail, but I suspect it's because you haven't even started in those areas yet.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
It works, but having watched a few Hades threads I expect to come back in a few days or weeks to see it looking even better.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
YEAAAAH those look pretty swank.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
NOW she's starting to look detail-balanced.  While I like the "intakes" on the side and top of the aft segment, I am concerned that they there may be a few recesses there were fighters could hide, which may have an effect on balance where the player is concerned.  You may want to consider reducing the amount of accessible space there by reducing the depth of the recesses.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
NOW she's starting to look detail-balanced.  While I like the "intakes" on the side and top of the aft segment, I am concerned that they there may be a few recesses there were fighters could hide, which may have an effect on balance where the player is concerned.  You may want to consider reducing the amount of accessible space there by reducing the depth of the recesses.

That shouldn't be a problem if it uses the same collision box as the default model which is what most HTL models do right?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And hades does it again.

Nice job man :yes:

edit: I just noticed the intakes right behind the docking ports. AWESOME AWESOME DETAIL.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:58:28 am by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline Aesaar

I think this might be taking "no upsetting game balance" a little far.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
It does. Seriously, let Hades do his magic.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I was thinking those were sensors rather than intakes.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I think this might be taking "no upsetting game balance" a little far.
If it becomes an issue, FS has a long and glorious tradition of invisible, collideable faces to keep fighters from going where they shouldn't.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

That shouldn't be a problem if it uses the same collision box as the default model which is what most HTL models do right?
I don't think a single ship in the MVP uses anything but its LOD0 as its hitbox. Plus that wouldn't work most of the time due to different proportions due to detailing or changes by the artist.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I also don't see how it could have any affect on balance, seeing as the AI is totally incapable of navigating around collision hazards.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.