Author Topic: Beyond The Red Line - DEMO RELEASE  (Read 6885 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Beyond The Red Line - DEMO RELEASE
We thought the ones we had were too ugly to make a standard feature. We'll be activating them in the full game as an optional extra of course :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vretsu

Finally!   :eek:

*pounces*

Offline Vretsu

This mod is godlike. Highly recommended.  :yes:

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
I have already uploaded a mirror of the windows installer onto HC and am currently doing the mac one, but is it possible to get the linux version (no one is seeding the torrent) for mirroring purposes?
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There should be links to it on the release thread even if the torrents are quiet now.

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Well, I'm really impressed by the voice acting, although I had some difficulties to understand everything in the middle of a fight (I'm just too bad in understanding spoken english language).
There's just one thing I dislike: I think that the "bullets" you're firing could be smaller, they're a little bit too big.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I don't think they are too big.

Ever seen an autocannon firing? Or even high caliber machine gun with tracers? They aren't quite as prominent as the BtRL rounds, but then again I've only seen up to 20mm Bofors autocannon, and the tracer rounds were rather big and scary looking enough in bright daylight even. I think they would be pretty impressive against the darkness of space.

Perhaps they *could* be toned down a bit but I don't think it's in any way necessary, and it would reduce the oomph factor of the graphics, so... go figure.  :p

Some sound effect changes would be better in place. The western revolver bullet ricochet sound comes to mind first, then the actual gunfire sound volume/balance... and the debris flyby/hit sound could have more volume, now it's hardly heard over the engines and it's such an excellent effect otherwise...

Heres's some footage of 30mm tracer rounds in broad daylight... keep a close eye on close-ups as they hit the tank(s), and remember that they actually appear brighter to eye than to camera. If anything, the rounds should have higher velocity if you want them to match what you see with GAU-8 Avenger rounds, but the muzzle flashes and tracer sizes are in my opinion pretty good as is. And i also don't think big velocity changes are necessary at all, because the gun balance is actually pretty good already.

Avenger is such a horrific thing... Small and compact, only the size of a small car (but longer). :mad2:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You need to work on the slide and vertical slide a bit more, because at speed they really aren't noticible. I kicked both a couple of times trying to get a better angle on somebody to no real effect.

I would also recommend you change the default zeroing on the guns for the Mark VII to about 600m, if they've got any zeroing on them. (I honestly couldn't detect it but recall there was supposed to be.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You need to hold them down - they're not going to make much difference if you just hit them once. Try sitting still and moving using only your thrusters, and you'll see how powerful theyr eally are.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You need to hold them down - they're not going to make much difference if you just hit them once. Try sitting still and moving using only your thrusters, and you'll see how powerful theyr eally are.

Did that in the trainer, but at speed the effect is totally unnoticible except after a minute or more.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The trainer somehow has different flight characteristics than other missions. I don't know how that works, but the lateral speed seems more limited in the training mission... :lol:

Try playing some other mission than the trainer, and check how fast does your ship travel sideways/vertically after pressing some of the thrusters for two seconds, starting from a complete standstill? They should be going at about 60-70 m/s at the selected direction. If it's substantially less, then something is wrong. It should be plenty noticeable all right...

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I've been watching the Season 2.5 DVDs again, and I think I've noticed a descrepancy between the show and the conversion....  Can anyone point me to a scene where the "gun" on the top wing of the Mark VII Viper fires?  I don't know what that extra device is supposed to be, but I can't recall seeing it spewing hot death at the toasters.  It could easily be my eyes and mind playing tricks on me again, but this seems like something worth double-checking.

My only other complaint came about while I was just goofing around in the single-player campaign.  Out on the mission to give Scar his iconic 'upgrade,' I decided to plow head-long into one of the large asteroids at best speed, just to see if it was suitably suicidal.  Unfortunately, the spectacular explosion that I hoped for was not to be, as I clipped right through the asteroid's surface, then clipped into the tunnel through the center, and clipped through the wall, into the solid part of the asteroid again.  I tried approaching from several different angles, and the asteroid seems to only be a visual barrier.

Aside from these rough bits, I've been amazed by the MOD.  The dogfighting, at the very least, captures the show near-perfectly.  All I need now is a system of pulleys and motors to yank me around in my chair, so that I can feel those gut-wrenching G-forces in high-speed turns.  Well.....  That and a mission based on the battle in "A Measure of Salvation."  Assault Raptors and a line with enough Raiders that you just can't miss, when you pull the trigger?  Yes, please.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The asteroid is basically either an engine or converter problem. We're trying to find out which at the moment. Bits of it are solid though so don't start expecting all of it to be fly through :)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The 3DS Max exporter sometimes just won't produce a solid model, while on other models it works near perfectly. I haven't figured out what exactly causes the errors.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The trainer somehow has different flight characteristics than other missions. I don't know how that works, but the lateral speed seems more limited in the training mission...

I noticed that as well, no bloody idea why though.

I've been watching the Season 2.5 DVDs again, and I think I've noticed a descrepancy between the show and the conversion....  Can anyone point me to a scene where the "gun" on the top wing of the Mark VII Viper fires?  I don't know what that extra device is supposed to be, but I can't recall seeing it spewing hot death at the toasters.  It could easily be my eyes and mind playing tricks on me again, but this seems like something worth double-checking.

It was animated early in the show, but they stopped because of cost/rendering time reasons.

According to the Battlestar Wiki, the third gun is there but not used much.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?