Author Topic: [WIP] Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.  (Read 10295 times)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Re: [WIP] Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.
I understand from this thread http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=49267.40 that CT27 got it to work by starting with a new pilot

A new pilot? Even after 4 pilot file corruptions over the years and more than 35.000 kills lost, that's clearly unacceptable.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I understand from this thread http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=49267.40 that CT27 got it to work by starting with a new pilot

A new pilot? Even after 4 pilot file corruptions over the years and more than 35.000 kills lost, that's clearly unacceptable.
Do you really care? It's actually obvious that properly working mod is much more important than kills count.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Actually, he just deleted the .csg file, which just stores progress for that campaign in particular; he didn't create an entirely new pilot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Do you really care? It's actually obvious that properly working mod is much more important than kills count.

Actually I'm one of the completionists that are already bothered when after a campaign I don't get told in the campaign menu that the campaign has ended. Happens with some campaigns that have a cutscene or credits screen as the last mission. I can remember how outraged I was when the pilot file system was changed to ensure higher cross-compatibility, as it did reset the progress for all my campaigns. Then again, I'm clearly insane.

Admiral Ralwood, I will try deleting the .csg file and see if that works together with the mod.ini.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Okay, deleted the tango.csg and it actually worked. I'm amazed. Updated.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Just as a thought...

I asked a while ago if the campaign wiki could be updated as there were missions on there that could either no longer be found or just plain didn't work anymore (please don't ask me which ones). But with this WIP, wouldn't it be worth updating the wiki as you go a long.

I was given a password to do it, but I decided not too as I have not been around long enough, or know enough about all the campaigns to do it and I would probably turn it into FUBAR. It might be worth creating an extra column on the wiki page to state whether the campaign works with the latest MediaVPs or not (or which the latest VPs are which the campaign can work with).

I mainly played only the voice acted campaigns on the wiki as I cannot focus on text as I am shooting stuff. As it goes, I did go through BP:WiH without voices, but I think I've lost out on a lot of key text/story as a result of concentrating too much (yeah... a bit keen i knoes).
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Hey Gee1337,

Your suggestion was actually a thought both niffiwan and myself have already thought and briefly talked about. Right in this very thread. In my humble opinion and not disregarding the work of all the people updating it, the wiki is pretty much in shambles right now, when it comes to reliable campaign information.

In regards to this campaign list, progress is unfortunately rather slow right now, as I am the only one at the moment working on the list in my spare time,which - to add insult to injury - was recently greatly reduced by new work shifts. Ugh.

That's the reason why I didn't want to grasp too far at this particular point, as getting involved with the Wiki right now while still merrily testing would simply be too much for one guy to handle. If it was simply firing up a single mission and be done with it, the list would be finishable on one weekend. It's not as simple as that though.

Speaking of which, if you do know any campaigns that could be added to either the working or broken campaign list, please feel free to let me know. I am an high spirits that our knowledgeable board wizards and campaign restorators will look into anything hat lands on the red list.

Actually, that goes for anyone lurking around here. Yeah, I'm talking to you, everybody reading this. ;)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Quote from original post.
"Oh and then then there's also some working but loose VPs flying around in my fsport folder dated mostly back to 2006: (Not sure what to do with and how to list ancient vps without a mod.ini for now)

Alliance Returns
Battle for Altair
Duke Squad
Hellwolf
I-Dimen
Internal Conflicts
Mc Carthy Campaign
New Beginnings
Nubian Campaign
Ross128
Second Vasudan War
SotVW (something of the vasudan war?)
Spec Ops
The Counterstrike
The Road to Victory
WAR
Wolfpack Legacy"

If you follow the same directions as for Tango these all should work.  I took all of them and threw them in a campaign file called "FSPort campaigns" with a single mod.ini for the bunch
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

Something weird happened when I tried to play "The Road To Victory."
With "Tango", I followed previous instructions and after putting a mod.ini in Tango's folder, Tango showed up in the mod list when I used wxlauncher.

However, when I did the same thing (put a specific mod.ini in the campaign folder) after downloading "The Road To Victory", TRTV didn't show up in the mod list in wxlauncher.

On the other hand, when I made a "FSPort campaigns" folder and put that special mod.ini and the TRTV vp file in that, I was able to play TRTV that way.

EDIT:  Nm, I was scrolling too quickly through my mod list.  It was alphabetically listed under "R" rather than "T".  I found it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:24:37 pm by CT27 »

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Hey Sarkoth,

I did notice that but from what I read, I felt it was a bit unclear as to what was working. SMOD Redux for HL2 has swallowed me up at the moment, but after I've done playing that (should only be another night at most), I will start trawling through the campaigns I've got to see which ones work and which ones don't, with Media2014. It will most likely be the case that I will only go through the voice acted campaigns, but hey, it will be a start.

There are a couple of voice acted campaigns which I did not play, which were the Vasudan based ones, as they did not appeal to me. Whereas I am sure that they are fantastic campaigns, I'm sure as many people will feel, it does help to have a personal attraction to them.

What I will do, is work through the wiki again and report on which campaigns I either cannot find, broken, or whatever...

For a start, there is one campaign which I believe was a bisnitch to find... but I cannot remember the name and I cannot find it on the campaign list. I will have a look on my desktop to see if I have it and I will post the name.

EDIT:- I believe that the campaign was "The Centaur Project". I never actually played it, but I believe that it did not need anything special to play as all the models were from the original game and there were no new editions. I also really need to checkout "Shadow Genesis". So these will be on my "to play" list.

EDIT 2:- I've not fully tested it yet, but I had a VERY brief look and it looks as though TCP is working with Media2014. I think it could be nice is some re-visits this campaign just to add some tastier backgrounds... certainly if the first mission is anything to by. Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:13:07 pm by Gee1337 »
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Unfortunately I have been struck heavily with work the last two weeks, so there haven't been any mayor updates. CT27 posted that Stormfront12 might be broken, I cannot verify that right now, but I will get back to it very soon.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Fiddled around with StormFront and WhatIf. StormFront is working just fine, but WhatIf looks broken beyond comparison. I didn't even manage to get it to run at all or to enable it in the campaign menu.

@ CT27 and Macfie, I am in the process of playing all my "loose VP files" from who knows back when to see if they're working like tango does. How about the idea of "rebundling" them into one package with a premade mod.ini (so anyone not having the slightest clue just needs to download and put the bundle into their FS folder). We could call it something like a "FSPort Campaign Legacy Bundle" and Re-Release them like that. Truth be told, I wasn't even able to find DL links for all of them. Apart from the fact that it would be hugely annoying to repost the instructions on how to get them to work a dozen times over in the list. Before doing that I would try to scoop up any campaigns I haven't listed yet as well, to be able put them all into one pack though.

Anyone in favour of this idea? Maybe it could even provide a few new / old things to play for our veterans out there.

@ Gee1337 Thanks for the input, as of now, the Centaur Project is already listed, but not fully tested yet. It's on my list though. Slow and steady =)

Edit: Wanted to test Allied Worlds and Allied Forces, unplayably broken.

Edit: Thread partially overhauled, and I also made a campaign bundle for Tango and all the other single VP fsport campaigns that didn't get re-released by the FSCRP or got any other overhaul. Mostly, because they use retail ships and don't need any restoration whatsoever. The whole package is a measly 18MB. Check it out in the main post.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:18:28 am by Sarkoth »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Played through Transcend recently (like a month or two ago) on MediaVPS3612 and one of the RC candidates (one or two).  Everything worked well enough for me to get through it without errors, I think.