Author Topic: Why Gen Disc (and the internet at large) sucks so badly  (Read 5808 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Why Gen Disc (and the internet at large) sucks so badly
"Free will is a myth, religion is a joke. We are all pawns, controlled by something greater: Memes. The DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture- they are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair... All memes. All passed along." -???

+1 Internet Point if you can tell me who said this.
+9 Internet Points if you can tell me *why* I quoted this.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Because Kojima had a point and everyone called him a charlatan all those years back?

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Because Kojima had a point and everyone called him a charlatan all those years back?
Good enough. +10 Internet Points to An4ximandros.

Perhaps I read too much into that part, but I cannot shake the feeling that it WAS a rather poignant moment. Even if it did occur wrapped in ludicrousness.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Good Article Luis. Funny, I took Christmas Break off from HLP because these discussions were becoming an unhealthy obsession, and one of the first threads I see coming back is a perfect explanation of why.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

Good Article Luis. Funny, I took Christmas Break off from HLP because these discussions were becoming an unhealthy obsession, and one of the first threads I see coming back is a perfect explanation of why.

Unhealthy, yes. That's exactly what a seemingly increasingly large number of these gen disc discussions are. Increasingly unhealthy and increasingly of less value imo, value as in feeling you got a return on the investment of time put in.

I wonder how many people feel the discussions they participate in here were worth their time when it was over.

InsaneBaron, would you care to elaborate on why you felt they were becoming an unhealthy obsession?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
InsaneBaron, would you care to elaborate on why you felt they were becoming an unhealthy obsession?

Why would you ask such a question?  What business is that of yours?

Offline Lorric

Why would you ask such a question?  What business is that of yours?
To discuss the issues with Gen Disc.

He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Unhealthy, yes. That's exactly what a seemingly increasingly large number of these gen disc discussions are. Increasingly unhealthy and increasingly of less value imo, value as in feeling you got a return on the investment of time put in.

For the record, you are also allowed to take a sabbatical from posting in GD.  No one stopping you.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
This non-divisive thread proves GD is the bomb and anyone who disagrees is a raging hooligan.

<3 GD Team Spirit :alright:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
GD is increasingly nothing, it's always been like this. the only change I think I've noticed over the years in an increase in attempts to moderate.

I mean when was the last time you heard someone utter the word "Christofascist"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:25:14 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
About five seconds ago when I read your post :P
"No"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, I meant bef... you know what forget it, it sure has gone downhill recently, this place isn't like it used to be in the good ole halcyon days when people could recognize my sarcasm and hyperbole.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Luis Dias

shhht Bob, sarcasm will get your ass banned. What are you, a vile disgusting human being? Come on.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

I wonder how many people feel the discussions they participate in here were worth their time when it was over.

This is precisely the point, the discussions consume huge amounts of time, and you don't gain very much from them except high blood pressure. And yet it takes a lot of willpower to just walk away, precisely because a lot of people define that as "loosing" the debate and will immediately proclaim you (and whatever you were defending) the looser (as if anyone ever "won" an internet debate.)

Ergo, I find myself repeated rewatching this as a way to calm down and put it all in perspective.

Ergo, I did exactly what Scotty just suggested and took a sabbatical, because it was Christmas for crying out loud and trying to argue on the internet when your little brothers want you to play RISK is a crime in itself.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

For the record, you are also allowed to take a sabbatical from posting in GD.  No one stopping you.

You'd like that, wouldn't you.

-----

InsaneBaron, that is basically what I expected you to say. And I wonder how many people feel the same way in a roundabout way. A lot of people have already left. I wonder how many people actually feel their time was well spent on a regular basis in gen disc. Who enjoy conversing in gen disc. My suspicion is all or nearly all of us don't get a return on our investment. And for all the issues we have with gen disc and each other, if we were all having the same kinds of feelings about gen disc interaction, if we all had that common ground, I wonder if we could come together to do something about it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:36:58 am by Lorric »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
My suggestions for GD:

1) Repeat offenders get "Incoming jump signature, hostile configuration!" inserted at the beginnings of their first replies in threads.

2) An "Is it worth it?" prompt appears when you try to post something with a quote tag.

3) ROI counter appears when you try to post more than once on a thread telling you how many times you've posted and how much time it's sucked out of your only chance to be alive.

4) Rename board "GTD" to keep out Vasudans.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
1) Repeat offenders get "Incoming jump signature, hostile configuration!" inserted at the beginnings of their first replies in threads.

I unironically like this one.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Should make the website have a soundbit for it too!
"No"

Offline Lorric

3) ROI counter appears when you try to post more than once on a thread telling you how many times you've posted and how much time it's sucked out of your only chance to be alive.

I'll take this one. :)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

I unironically like this one.

2nded  :lol: