Author Topic: Thread summary  (Read 51478 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Lightspeed's Graphics and Shine Maps (image heavy)
Originally posted by Galemp
I think the contrast on the Iceni is too high, but that's probably due to the lack of ambient lighting and the ultra-intense shine mapping than your shinemaps. The Boadicea looks wonderful, though. Well done!

yes, the contrast is a bit high, especially if in-mission the iceni / a deimos (cause it uses the same side texture) turns 90° to a sun...

however, i'm still hoping for adjustable ambient lighting to be implemented in HT&L so things should look even better ;7
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Flaser, did you even READ what I said carefully?  I didn't say REAL rockets have constant speed = constant thrust, I said that in FS it SEEMS so.  I gave a _possible_ explanation for why the trails would only get larger with speed (that the trails may not actually be thrust, but just emissions).

I also gave a reason why it _could_ be done this way: it's easier on the coders and is pseudosciency enough that most people would buy it.  In fact, it would make sense to most of the "normal" people.

Hence, greater current speed = longer trail is a feasible idea that need not be impossible (even with "realistic"  physics).  And with the advent of the possibility of bending trails, it won't _look_ ridiculous (i.e. pretty, but fairly ridiculous).

An ion rocket works exactly like an ordinary rocket except it spews out ions instead of normal atoms, so it can use magnetic fields to steer the substance thereby enabling the usage of higher temperature that would melt any ordinary nozzle made of the best materials you can come up with, higher temperatures means faster exhaust gases - ergo greater thrust.

Actually, what you've described is a plasma rocket.  High temperature ionized gases = plasma.

RL(tm) ion engines neither produce a lot of thrust nor do they use super high temperatures.  An electric field is used to focus and accelerate ions that serve as thrust.  In fact the key feature of ion engines is fuel economy.  They may not have a lot of thrust, but they can produce continuous thrust for a very long period of time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 05:11:26 pm by 998 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Flaser
Lightspeed I kinda asked for what masking tools did you use and what procedures have you done to brightern/darken the selected areas?

pure Photoshop 6.

masking was done by hand, several things adjusted with colorize and hue, with brightness & contrast, some done completely "by hand", and others using some filters.

Offline terren

I'm going to shine map an astroid!
Why? becuse I'm starting with something easy that's why!

er, and I think I'll do the peg also :)  If I can figure out how to do animated shinemaps.
I hope I signed in the right place.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
pegisus?
I don't think you want animated shinemaps for that, now that I think about it I don't even think shine maps suport animation, glow maps do though, too bad nobody's taken advantage of that fact
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I have, twice. But it's for SA internal use so you can't see them. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well why not :(
I think I should have acces to all internal forums, just becase I'm that cool!
:D
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Well these new engine effects are really quite gorgeous. I have to keep more of an eye on this forum. Oh, and the current thruster plume scaling system is very nice and should be left alone. The day the FS engine goes all out for realism it will lose a lot of it's current charm.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by IPAndrews
Oh, and the current thruster plume scaling system is very nice and should be left alone. The day the FS engine goes all out for realism it will lose a lot of it's current charm.

I beg to disagree - this is what we're talking about:

As you can see in the image below - while there is a difference in length, the thruster still seems to be "pushing out" as if it were trying to move the ship forward. With a little Photoshopping, I think this is what would be better in the idle position (image will follow in another post... one sec).

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
And here's the revised version. Thruster settings in between would see the glow enlarge out to its full length.

Could somone tell me if I'm on the money with this or if i'm wrong? This was a quick Photoshop job to mock up what it'd be like. Let me know!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Good point well made. That's to do with the size of the thruster plume geometry at rest. Those probably should be changed. I agree. If the desination speed of the engine is 0 the plume should be tiny if not non existant. Just keep the scaling based on the destination speed as it is now, not the current speed.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The trouble is, the other model glow (using the .ani map) is still present on the models. It's merely hidden because of these engine glow plumes. We need to choose which we're going with I imagine...it's silly to see two different effects on one ship at the same time...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Kalfireth
And here's the revised version. Thruster settings in between would see the glow enlarge out to its full length.

Could somone tell me if I'm on the money with this or if i'm wrong? This was a quick Photoshop job to mock up what it'd be like. Let me know!

Indeed, I prefer what Kal's knocked together. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by terren
I'm going to shine map an astroid!
Why? becuse I'm starting with something easy that's why!

er, and I think I'll do the peg also :)  If I can figure out how to do animated shinemaps.
I hope I signed in the right place.

Okay but DO NOT shinemap Roid1 textures... Its the ones used for the boadicea, those need to be toned really really down else the boadicea will look ubar crap because theres like 32 polies on the asteroid around it (and its damn huge).

Besides that, I've already done shinemaps for that particular asteroid maps :) (Roid1A.pcx, Roid1B.pcx)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Out of curiosity, why isn't the thrust cone geometry planar (or very nearly so) at zero throttle?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

The next model...

(note: I desperately need ambient lighting for HT&L)

Mjolnir Shinemaps

As always, comments welcome :)

Offline terren

I know that :)  first thing I did was open the astroids to see what texture they had, I've only done the first LOD for now becuse I want to test them and get them to look like something good instead of a hackjob.  Anyone know how to get aurora working?  All I get from it is 'DX initalisation failed!' then it loads the main window and crashes.

it's glowmaps that animate, thanks, tell me how to use them and I will!
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by terren
it's glowmaps that animate, thanks, tell me how to use them and I will!

you need to make an ANI and use that instead of the -glow .pcx

each step of the animation needs to be the same 8-bit colour palette.

I'll also have a look at animated glow maps, once i've finished the shine maps ;7
(so you see, not everyone has forgotten about them ;) )

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Bomber shinemaps (quite image heavy)
More shinemaps. To be precise, shinemaps of every bomber that hasn't got shinemaps yet (i.e. excluding FS1-bombers)

I've done something special on the Artemis, i'm not sure if you can see it on those screenies but in-game it's definately noticeable. (It's also the shinemaps that took me longest to do, because of the little 'specialty' there ;) )

The new Artemis DH shinemaps. To add a bit more of SOC-yness to it :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 10:42:26 am by 1317 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

The Boanerges, blocky, heavy, deadly.

Lol, i guess i don't have to say anything about this ;)